Locally Grown (thailand) Avocados...

Hi! I've been wondering about this for a while. The Thailand grown avocados that I occassionally see for sale in supermarkets in Bangkok are wonderful! That said, they are obviously different in terms of size, appearance, and taste (not a bad thing!).....and I was hoping one of the ThaiVisa farmers could offer information on whether the nutrition profile (calories, fat grams, carbohydrates, protein, etc.) for the local Thai avocados is different than for California avocados, and if so...what are the differences in their nutrition profiles? I've attached the nutrition profile information for the California avocados. Or you can find it here.... http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-...43/0?print=true

Any ideas on how the local Thai variety compares?

post-30967-1249494445_thumb.jpg

CHEERS!

D

Cant help you with info, but good to know avo's are available.

Can you mention some of the fruit & veg. you like most as I'm coming soon for 4-12 weeks. My sons tell me there is more variety than in NZ, but never fill me in on the details. Thanks.

For what it's worth, avacados take on the characteristics of the respective sub-climate and sub-climate {like coffee does}. You could take one variety of avacado and propagate it in Madagascar, Hawaii, Greece, NZ, Vietnam, or California - each will all aquire their own quality. Even though avacados are not overwhelming popular here, you'll find the wonderful variety of altitudes to be very friendly to the diverse variety of 'cados that are available.

Cant help you with info, but good to know avo's are available.

Can you mention some of the fruit & veg. you like most as I'm coming soon for 4-12 weeks. My sons tell me there is more variety than in NZ, but never fill me in on the details. Thanks.

I lived in NZ for two years and was amazed at the variety and especially quality of fruit and veggies. I don't think you'll find more variety in BKK. You will find things you don't get in NZ, but not more overall variety. Stone fruits such as peaches, plums and apricots are virtually unknown, except for expensive imports and you can't get a decent, juice filled orange. Of course, you will get the famous durian - worth trying. Mangoes are great, as are lychees and rambutan and there are other seasonal favourites you'll find in markets and supermarkets.

Thank you -- everyone -- for the feedback. Like you all, I do indeed love the local Thai Avocados (when I can...very seldomly.....find them). I'd be most interested in one specific micronutrient comparison between the local variety and those from California........grams of fat per 100gram serving.

For those who have tried both kinds (local Avo's and California Avo's).....do you feel that one contains more fat per 100grams than the other?

CHEERS!

D

Thank you -- everyone -- for the feedback. Like you all, I do indeed love the local Thai Avocados (when I can...very seldomly.....find them). I'd be most interested in one specific micronutrient comparison between the local variety and those from California........grams of fat per 100gram serving.

For those who have tried both kinds (local Avo's and California Avo's).....do you feel that one contains more fat per 100grams than the other?

CHEERS!

D

The exact oil percentage needs to be measured in a lab.

You question has to do with avocado types regardless of where they are growing.

Mexican ( read California ) varieties ( Hass & family ) have a higher oil content per given quantity than Guatemalan or West Indian ( read Florida ).

Due to the weather, most successful Thailand grown varieties are of Guatemalan origin therefore have a lower oil content per given quantity.

Regards

Thai_acocado_type.doc

I bought 2 kilo of local advocados at the Hilltribes Produce Market on my way back from Mae Sot last month for only 10 baht a kilo!! :D

That's a big difference from 239 baht a kilo for Australian imported ones at Makro!!! :)

Hey SOIDOG2.....thank you very much. The information in the doc you posted provided was most helpful.....and I'll go with 10-12% when I consider fat content from the Avo calories for the locally grown (mostly Pollock variety based on comparing pics) Avo's I eat.

Thank you again everybody!

CHEERS!

D

• 7 months later...

CHEERS!

D

Pak Chong's the place, the weather's cool. They say

be patient, six years to grow them, but one day

you'll harvest a ton of luscious hand grenades.

Born of love they are, you need at least two trees.

But unlike Soi Cowboy, the pimps are buzzing bees.

Lawrence O'Surin

Edited by LawrenceOSurin