Maak Rook

Harcourt

I briefly watched some old men playing maak rook. Besides the initial set-up having the pawns advanced one square (so no chance of en passant), in my brief observation, there seemed to be some different moves made also.

How different is it from chess? Does anyone play and where would I find out how to play?

Also, if I was to join these venerable old chaps, would it be bad form to win if we are just playing for fun? Not assuming I would win, and I don't mind losing a game: it's the fun of playing the game that I like. I just wonder about "saving face" for the old fellows and would I never be asked to play again.

I briefly watched some old men playing maak rook. Besides the initial set-up having the pawns advanced one square (so no chance of en passant), in my brief observation, there seemed to be some different moves made also.

How different is it from chess? Does anyone play and where would I find out how to play?

Also, if I was to join these venerable old chaps, would it be bad form to win if we are just playing for fun? Not assuming I would win, and I don't mind losing a game: it's the fun of playing the game that I like. I just wonder about "saving face" for the old fellows and would I never be asked to play again.

I played it a couple of times, but everytime I had to learn it again from start. It is pretty similar. I know the bishops can make just 1 step. I thought the queen too, but forgot about the rest. And yes, maybe better to play with young people first and play with the elderly later on. They would lose face if they lost from soemone who just got the rules and played for the first time. Noone wants to lose from a beginner right? lol ....