Abhisit Reports On Govt's Performance

george

PM reports on govt's performance

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva reported on the performance of his government during its first six months in office from Government House on Thursday morning.

"I knew from my first day in office that the crises would not be easy to overcome, but I vowed to work hard for the benefit of the country,'' the prime minister said in a nationally televised address.

"The government's main objective is to make Thai people happier and this policy has been realised through more than 100 measures which I believe can deliver happiness to Thai people." .

Since coming to power in December the government had implemented many projects to alleviate the economic and political crises, Mr Abhisit said.

Some of the important were: 15 years of free education, welfare for the elderly, career development, five short-term measures to lower the cost of living, 2,000-baht cheques for low-income state employees, sufficiency villages and loans for small and medium enterprises.

He said the government had put in place the Thai Khem Kaeng (Strong Thailand) scheme covering seven areas -- water sources, transportation, education, public health, tourism, science and projects to end the continuing southern unrest.

In the next six months, the government would continue driving the Strong Thailand scheme forward to stimulate the economy, he said.

"The Thai economy is looking to expand after different economic figures have shown improvements, and the government therefore believes the economy has now bottomed out," Mr Abhisit said.

However, political problems and the A(H1N1) flu outbreak were factors that could hinder economic recovery.

"The collection of property tax will be improved and the revenue will be used to set up a bank to help people with land issues," he said.

A savings fund for the elderly would also be established, he said.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-06

No comparison. In today's editorial in The Nation they say nearly 120 billion has been spent in the South already (not just this year, though). Nation's point is that it's a waste of money judging by the results.

"The government's main objective is to make Thai people happier and this policy has been realised through more than 100 measures which I believe can deliver happiness to Thai people." .

Oh how quaint.

I presume or hope that something got lost in translation here, or he could simply mandate that knock knock jokes are sent out by SMS every 5 minutes nationwide.

"The collection of property tax will be improved and the revenue will be used to set up a bank to help people with land issues," he said.

Apart from all the "happy" issues which I'll leave for others to comment on!

Regarding the above does "improved" = increased

Why do we need a bank to help with land issues? Is there anywhere that elaborates on this?

Anyone have a nice comparison chart to the PPP/Samak performance during 6 months

or Somchai's performance... some how I don't remember a significant betterment actualized,

or even a PLAN being implemented....

I thought Abhisit's govt has been around longer than the previous ones. Beside, both PMs from PPP had been ousted and files court cases already. The current one is Abhisit, so are you afraid that Abhisit'll get criticize here? Please focus on Abhisit as it's the main concern here.

For the happy claim, see this as reference. ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_National_Happiness

Then, also ...

Thailand should measure happiness

Agence France-Presse

Last updated 09:43pm (Mla time) 11/26/2007

BANGKOK — Thailand’s army-installed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Monday that the kingdom should measure the happiness of its people as well as the growth of its economy.

Surayud spoke as he met caretaker Prime Minister Lyonpo Kinzang Dorji of Bhutan, a remote Buddhist kingdom in the Himalayas that has embraced the concept of “gross national happiness” as a guiding tenet of its development.

“We are gathered in concern for the well-being of our people spiritually, mentally and physically,” Surayud told reporters.

“We have learned that growth cannot be measured in numbers and GDP alone. It must also be measured through the well-being of the people,” he added.

Bhutan is ranked near the bottom of the world’s development scale so the landlocked country invented a unique way to measure progress by citing gross national happiness (GNH) ahead of gross domestic product (GDP).

The policy was decreed by former king Jigme Singye Wangchuck in the 1990s in response to low economic growth in an attempt to reflect quality of life over money.

It has since become the isolated kingdom’s guiding policy tool and a driving force behind Bhutan’s transition to democracy, with elections set for December, Dorji said.

“The government of Bhutan is developing indicators for GNH and incorporating them into concrete policies,” he said, adding: “Numerical values do not do justice to the emotions of the human experience.”

The philosophy is listed in Bhutan’s draft constitution, slated to be ratified after a national referendum planned as part of the country’s historic shift toward parliamentary democracy.

A recent study by the Centre for Bhutan Studies, a research institute, found 68 percent of the country’s nearly 700,000 people were happy.

A World Bank official last week told Bhutan’s state newspaper that other countries should also promote gross national happiness as a gauge of national well-being.

Edited by emancipationthailand

Anyone have a nice comparison chart to the PPP/Samak performance during 6 months

or Somchai's performance... some how I don't remember a significant betterment actualized,

But they were legitimate Animatic....ya can't talk that away!

This is an absurd comparison, as they were virtually paralyzed by the PAD/Democrat insurgencies. If you really want a comparison I suppose you need to go back to the Taksin days of the last actually functioning government.

Anyone who want to criticize PM Abhisit after few months in office,should not forget that nowadays there are tough times for economy all over the world and not only in Thailand.Plus he was under heavy pressure since the beginning,the infamous disrupting of the Asean meeting,the Black Songkhran,and now the signature petition.A PM is not God,if you are unbiased,give him time to work.

But they were legitimate Animatic....ya can't talk that away!

Samak was legitimate in he same way as Abhisit is legitmate

Elected MP's voted him PM, as per law. You can't talk that away either.

Samak and PPP also got caught cheating and were dissolved that is legitimate too.

Samak lied in court and ignored the law, he was invlaidated BUT could have run again,

but NO ONE WANTED HIM BACK.

Then Somchai was appointed/choosen by Thaksin who then told the PPP MP's to vote for him.

That makes it questionably legitimate,

But...'Elected MP's voted him PM, as per law'.

But the MP's HAD been voted in and so technically legitimate.

Till their trials for cheating threw out a few more.

THOSE same REMAINING MP's, minus the banned ones for cheating, voted in Abhisit.

Elected MP's voted him PM, as per law.

That was legitimate and YOU can try, but you can't TALK that away either.

Try as you might your argument lacks legal merit under Thailands laws.

Samak's government was in power longer than the Dems now,

and yet you only argue the elective methods,

not the point of;

What did they do for the people in a LONGER time in office.

You can't argue PAD was an insurgency, they mostly sat and talked.

And annoyed Samak no end. But the government held cabinet meetings,

gave proclamations and pretended to work... And whined a lot about PAD.

PAD only moved when the PPP tried to give Thaksin a free pass,

and NOT when PPP talked about doing the countrys business.

But you say Red Shirts are bigger than PAD, and do similar public activities.

And yet DEMS STILL FUNCTION, and Samak / Somchai didn't.

Big difference.

Inept vs harried but functional.

Edited by animatic

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva reported on the performance of his government during its first six months in office from Government House on Thursday morning.

Well, that shouldn't take long!

Apart from the blatant bribe of 2000 Baht to selected individuals, I'm blessed if I can think of anything that he has done to make people "happier".

Apart from the blatant bribe of 2000 Baht to selected individuals, I'm blessed if I can think of anything that he has done to make people "happier".

What do you mean by "selected individuals"?

What do you mean by "selected individuals"?

"2,000-baht cheques for low-income state employees" as quoted in the OP. Some people were of the mistaken belief that these cheques went to the real poor, instead they simply topped-up the pay of those in secure, and not all that badly paid employment. I believe the figure was those earning less than 12000 Baht/month - in rural areas, they would be among the better off!

I believe the figure was those earning less than 12000 Baht/month - in rural areas, they would be among the better off!

It actually was "earning less than 15,000 Baht/Month" Which is not at all poor in Thai Standards, my wife just left Adidas, and was a supervisor making 12,000 a month.

Animatic... I do like most of your postings, however, your colors are showing in this argument. In the both previous Governments PAD were "insurgents" and both and police were usless. Samak and Somchai order emergency decree that was ignored my both the police and Army. And the Court receded on the order for PAD to vacate the Government House. There was no Government at the time. And Oct. 7th happened because PAD blocked parliament, on and on.

I believe the figure was those earning less than 12000 Baht/month - in rural areas, they would be among the better off!

It actually was "earning less than 15,000 Baht/Month" Which is not at all poor in Thai Standards, my wife just left Adidas, and was a supervisor making 12,000 a month.

Animatic... I do like most of your postings, however, your colors are showing in this argument. In the both previous Governments PAD were "insurgents" and both and police were usless. Samak and Somchai order emergency decree that was ignored my both the police and Army. And the Court receded on the order for PAD to vacate the Government House. There was no Government at the time. And Oct. 7th happened because PAD blocked parliament, on and on.

Having control of government house is not the same as having control of the government.

PAD certainly was a major annoyance, but should not have been a reason for government grid lock.

This is not defending PAD per se, but arguing that their influence was grandly inflated by press and PPP government,

as excuses, as a bogeyman, except at certain times which need not be listed here.

They wanted to remove Thaksin's corrupt influence, that wasn't hard to agree with.

What they might replace it with was a harder sell. Yet my question isn't about PAD at all.

And this 'showing colors' is ONLY relating to an DEFINITION of one word in this argument.

I had been using the word 'insurgency' in the guerrilla war sense it has been used as most recently.

I didn't think it fit, and that was my point. Think muslim insurgents, Taliban, communists, Contra rebels etc.

And of course Sonkla Yala etal. To me this is insurgency, in a modern usage.

All described as insurgents, vs political rabble rousing groups.

But I will stand corrected as to it's LEGAL usage definition relative to PAD.

in·sur·gent

Function: noun

1 : a person who rises in revolt against civil authority or an established government; especially : one not recognized as a belligerent

2 : one that acts contrary to the established leadership (as of a political party, union, or corporation) or its decisions and policies

Main Entry: insurgent

Function: adjective

: rising in opposition to civil or political authority or against an established government

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law,

Why the army and police ignored the court and yet there are accusations of a judicial coup is interesting.

Ignored and then embraced, use when convenient? Controlled is a stretch.

Still I didn't think PAD's trouble making, till the end game, was NOT enough to actually stop Samak's and Somachai's

governments from functioning in the day to day business of running the country. It should not have been.

A barking dog outside the window doesn't stop the cook from making dinner, it's just an annoyance.

There just didn't seem to be enough PPP will to act, other than the Pro-Thaksin agenda.

The reason I asked my earlier question is:

The PPP has longer than 6 months with Samak, and a few months more with Somchai.

If there was no government, then how could 'the government 'order the Oct 7 attacks?

There most certainly was a Samak and Somchai government, they had communications,

they held roving cabinet meetings, much as Thaksin did.

A specific 'government office building' does not make a government,

but the people in charge and with communications to the branches of government.

If you want to say there was no government with enough respect

to make orders be taken by other national entities, well i can't fault you there.

After Oct 7th Somchai's people were more and more isolated, right up to the 'bunker in Chaing Rai' period.

Same with Samak after Sept 1-2 He got his SOE by letting the reds off the leash,

but that senseless violence, instigate by the head of state for partisan political reasons, disgusted many.

Thing is I see those not as caused by any PAD actions, but by Samak/Somchai's bad choices of actions.

But this was never intended as a comparison of PAD / RED methods... let's not side track any more.

So too compare the last 2 governments:

What other than fighting PAD arguments

and attempting rewriting ways to bring Thaksin and the TRT 111 back to the field,

did PPP1+2 actual TRY and accomplish?

Clearly they were not looking nor preparing for the coming world economic crash.

It was seriously hitting the papers back then, more than just hints.

Even if the severity was mis-understood by all, yet PPP was UTTERLY oblivious to this coming storm.

And I consider by your definition 'Insurgents' that the Red Shirts fit that description just as well.

So both governments have been saddled with insurgencies. Apples and apples in this comparison.

I am not arguing for PAD or the Dems,

I am asking for a comparison of '6 month to 6 month accomplishments', or even simply proposals of action.

This government vs the last government. Just like the economy is compared year to year by month.

A valid question ; compare the two since the opposition wants back in.

What did they ACTUALLY do when they had the seats?

I heard it said, one reason that the wealth range that received the 2k baht checks was set so,

was because they could afford to SPEND that check then in sectors needing the cash to get moving,

not just mattress it for a rainy day.

15,000 baht a month = $441.34 or 260.04£ doesn't seem like that much does it?

Unless you only mask 5,000b

Edited by animatic

Let's be fair to Abhisit. Many are happier when Abhisit became PM. Problem is the majority of Thais, who did not vote for Democrat Party, are not happy.

Problem is the majority of Thais, who did not vote for Democrat Party, are not happy.

Impressive insight you must have to be able to speak for the majority of Thais.

Whilst i've got you here, i'm interested to know how the majority of Thais feel about the foot-long spicy and the cheesy bite.

Let's be fair to Abhisit. Many are happier when Abhisit became PM. Problem is the majority of Thais, who did not vote for Democrat Party, are not happy.

Which can mean that not all the Thais who didn't vote for the Dems are unhappy,

only a 'Majority of them'.

And since that PPP win was within 1% of the Dems, losing some of that

1% could easily be considered tipping over the edge to a majority of VOTERS

ARE happy Abhisit got in now. This country is not controlled by 50.01 % voting blocks,

never has been, but by largest share voting blocks, 30-32.5% at most, that create coalitions.

No one party ever got 1/3 cleanly... TRT was worried about getting 20% and cheated in 2006.

MOST of the voters , 60+ %, vote AGAINST the Election WINNER every time...

You KNOW this is true.

Sematics.

Edited by animatic

Samak's government was in power longer than the Dems now,

and yet you only argue the elective methods,

not the point of;

What did they do for the people in a LONGER time in office.

From what I could see, when Khun Samak was PM, world price for oil was very high but he could keep oil price in Thailand not to increase too much.

But when Abhisit is here, when world price for oil is down, Thailand’s price for oil is up for almost 10 Baht per liter. From my understanding, each time you buy oil for your car, you pay the tax to government. In other word from what I understand, Abhisit doesn't know how to make money so he increased oil price.

When Khun Samak was PM, he gave free 3rd class train ride and free non air con bus. You don't like it but poor people do. It's not just a few Baht per ride like you think. The poor in Lam Pang can go to Bangkok or anywhere for free. They can bring their local products to sell in other provinces. What has Abhisit done to help the poor?

Abhisit's study free program? One of my children is with government school and this term we paid more than last term. I don't see the "free" here like it's advertised.

Khun Samak gave free electricity to family whose monthly use did not exceed a certain level.

Khun Samak reduced the accommodation transfer fee from 3% to 0.1% to stimulate the real estate business. That was if you bought a new house, you paid small fee only.

Khun Samak extended the contract finishing period. Many contractors couldn't handle the increase of material when oil price was up and they just abandoned the projects. When the deadline came, contractors couldn't finish the projects and had to pay penalty which led to bankruptcy. If contractors survive, their tax from buying material will feed the government.

One of my children is with government school and this term we paid more than last term. I don't see the "free" here like it's advertised.

I wonder though whether your claimed monthly income of 100,000 baht has any affect on your right to free education? Perhaps it's free education for those who need it. It seems like you don't.

However, political problems and the A(H1N1) flu outbreak were factors that could hinder economic recovery.

I'm most interested in the A(H1N1) flu subject. What did Abhisit do to prevent it from spreading like it is now? How many have died in Thailand because of this flu? 81? The flu comes from people and is a lot easier to control compared with the bird flu. Birds need no visa or passport to enter Thailand and Khun Thaksin controlled the bird flu nicely.

When did the political problems start? Since Khun Thaksin was PM when people's lives were good, people led by Sondhi started their protests until a coup happened. All violence later including occupying Government House and airports were done by PAD trying to knock 2 more democratically elected governments the majority Thais voted for. Police and army didn't do anything for real to stop PAD. Did any professors, hiso including Democrat Party leader come out back then to tell PAD to stop hurting Thailand? Until the government they want was formed, PAD stopped their movement. The reds only came out because army & other powers knocked the party they voted for. Ever wonder why Democrat Party with 60 years in politics did not win elections with big votes? Ever wonder why Khun Thaksin won first election and 2nd election even bigger vote of more than 300? Because Thais have seen the true face of Democrats.

Funny now people make the reds look like the one who hurts Thailand. If you ask me, I'll say the one who hurts Thailand is the coup 2549.

When Abhisit mentioned "political problems" and "the A(H1N1) flu", he is trying to defense why he can't work. I don't see he has the capacity to be a country leader. Spokesman or opposition party leader are 2 best jobs for Abhisit.

One of my children is with government school and this term we paid more than last term. I don't see the "free" here like it's advertised.

I wonder though whether your claimed monthly income of 100,000 baht has any affect on your right to free education? Perhaps it's free education for those who need it. It seems like you don't.

:)

Did they say the 15 year free education is for poor families only? I don't think so. How to classify if one is poor? Total income minus total expenses? If so, I am poor.

From what I see, they give free stationary and free school fee, but they collected fee by another way. That was why we paid more this term.

Samak was legitimate in he same way as Abhisit is legitmate

Elected MP's voted him PM, as per law. You can't talk that away either.

The difference is before Khun Samak became PM:

there was no coup to knock the previous government who won election big time

there was no change of Constitution Law to ban the whole set of executive members when one member did wrong, to help cut almost 150 members of the opposite side out

there was no one to occupy GH for 3 months and 2 main airports for a week after months of violence

there was no professors and chief army to come out and ask the current PM who won election to resign so the protestors could go home

there was no army to meet politicians and asked them to switch votes in Parliament

Khun Samak didn't look down upon Newin in the past and hugged Newin when needed his supports

The biggest difference is Khun Samak is from the biggest party who won after a general election.

:)

Did they say the 15 year free education is for poor families only? I don't think so.

I agree that if the govt promised free education for all, that's what they should be delivering.

How to classify if one is poor? Total income minus total expenses? If so, I am poor.

That really is an insulting comment to all those who are on the poverty line.

If you make 100,000 baht a month and your expenses account for most of it, it doesn't mean you are poor. It means that you have an expensive and lavish lifestyle - well in comparison to those who really are in need.

For one who supposedly speaks on behalf of the rural working classes, sometimes the things you say Koo82 amaze me. Do you speak in such a fashion when you are in their company?

rixalex,

The poor are very pity. If you come to see how they live and eat, you'll understand why Khun Thaksin wants to bring them out of this condition. You don't have to be poor in order to love the poor.

"expensive and lavish lifestyle" is what you think and what you think is not always correct. I have a business to run, children to take care and not all of them are with government schools. My money doesn't sit in the bank and I don't go to top restaurant and cafe daily. When the previous set of Democrat Party ran Thailand, many of my friends went bankrupt. I survived because I know how to manage.