Housing Costs In Nakhon Sawan

I am thinking of moving to Nakhon Sawan in about a years time, spending 9-10 months of the year there and 2-3 in UK.

I have a stable relationship with a Thai lady and am now thinking of moving out of a small room into something larger.

I know something about the rules involved though not all, a condo above ground level I can own or share, a ground floor or house will have to be in her name,Are there any other costs I need to think about,like, electricity, water, local taxes like in the uk if so what are these likely to be, any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

I also found it difficult to find anywhere that was advertising places to rent or buy, estate agents? Where do you look and do these have charges and what about legal fees, where do they fit in and what are they likely to be?

Nakhon Sawan is surounded by rivers and the swamp is this likely to be an issue.

Are there any other things I should think about or know?

Thanks chums

I am thinking of moving to Nakhon Sawan in about a years time, spending 9-10 months of the year there and 2-3 in UK.

I have a stable relationship with a Thai lady and am now thinking of moving out of a small room into something larger.

I know something about the rules involved though not all, a condo above ground level I can own or share, a ground floor or house will have to be in her name,Are there any other costs I need to think about,like, electricity, water, local taxes like in the uk if so what are these likely to be, any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

I also found it difficult to find anywhere that was advertising places to rent or buy, estate agents? Where do you look and do these have charges and what about legal fees, where do they fit in and what are they likely to be?

Nakhon Sawan is surounded by rivers and the swamp is this likely to be an issue.

Thanks chums

Do NOT buy in Nakhon Sawan. Outside the capital and tourist / expat centres, there is simply no second-hand market for houses to speak of. You buy or build something, then you'll be stuck with it forever. If you ever want to sell up, you simply won't be able to find a buyer and realise the cash. The fact that you say you can't find an agent for sales and rentals should tell you something!

Utility bills are negligible compared to UK, unless you're running a huge pool and massive aircons 24/7.

To conclude, 2 bits of advice:

1) R E N T...........

2) Hide all sharp knives. You'll go loopy if you stay in Nakhon Sawan for 10 months of a year.

>>You'll go loopy if you stay in Nakhon Sawan for 10 months of a year. <<

Two days there is more than enough .I have to go there again soon and am not looking forward to it . :)

Can you share with us how well you know Nakhonsawan and what was it that you have seen there, and what you recommend to visit there?

mbox

Two days there is more than enough .I have to go there again soon and am not looking forward to it . :)

Sorry that Nakhon Sawan is not the centre of the cultural universe....but the people are warm and the living is cheap, interesting and extremely healthy (just don't go out fishing and pass out drunk on the lake's bank--a chap in my mooban got ate by a croccodile doing that).

Thanks chums

Chum,

First off rent. You presumably know little of the place from your question, so get a feel for it first. Buying, unless you can risk all, will be foolhardy for a beginner. You didn't say whether you meant the city or somewhere in the province. If the latter you should be suitable for a country lifestyle. The people are friendly and the scenery, albeit flat, is gorgeous. I should assume your Thai partner is from the area, otherwise why would you choose there? Get direct help from your partner.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chums

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oviusly some of the replys come form dedicated City people who preffer the Smog and dirt in the big city life style !!!

if your wife is from the area use her local knowlage of the area !

my wife is from nakhon sawan ( we stay in the smaller village where she grew up some 45 KM from N SAWAN city center )

with her family and people here are freindly and evryone know each other

and its lovly here evry time we go here .

we only go to nakhon sawan for a a day trip now and again

or if we want to have dinner by the river ( great fresh local food )

we normaly just buy our food at the shops in the village

( availeble from 20 - 40 BHT for a spicy nudel soup or a serve of rice with spicy meat )

its rice country water rivers and flatland expect hungry moskitos the size of 747 airplanes after sunset :) less so in N SAWAN

than in smaller village with rice fields all the way around the house

and buy water in bottels for drinking - not even the locals drink the water here :D

( tap water suiteble only for shower,laundry and flusing toilet )

rent in nakhon sawan or a village near by

prices for renting a town house in nakhon sawan would be somwhere around 5000 bht a month +

price in smaller village within 30 - 35 minuts of nakhon sawan somwhere around as cheep as 600 bht + a month

building a house in nakhon sawan rent for the first year then if you still like it here by all mean buy for you and your family

yes you would have to hang on to it for a very long term to get your money back price for building house 200.000 bht and up

depending on style ,size and qualety of building + the cost of land

i only know the price of town houses sold by a freind of mine in Pattay 10 minuts from 2 street sold for 1.2 milion in may 2008

now selling for 1.5 in 2009 ( land he was deveoping he lives there with wife and kid )

but it gives you somthing to compare with

there is only small growth in the area around nakhon sawan Land value does not increace with the speed of other places like

BKK, , pattaya ,phuket or udon thani , witch have more growth

Good luck with your plans

Can you share with us how well you know Nakhonsawan and what was it that you have seen there, and what you recommend to visit there?

mbox

I spent about 3 weeks in Nakhon Sawan, I think I could live there, people very friendly and living is cheap. I saw a detached bungalow, 3 bedrooms, bathroom and other rooms for 1.9m baht. There was also an estate of small houses on the north east side of town, white with green roofs,not offered for sale at the time. looked like 2 rooms upstairs and one down, detached, 300k-350k. First look in the last week

mbox

Its only my opinion ,but to me its just your average drab Thai provencial town .Only spent two nights there ,and was gagging to leave .The OP should rent first and see how it goes for him .

http://www.nakhonsawanproperty.com/

Also, theres a lovely teak house next to the river, for 2.5 million about 35 minutes by car from Nakhon Sawan its for sale on Thai Classifieds.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estat...-sale-8251.html

At first I didn't like Nakhon Sawan, a busy, central bus hub to Thailand with only Big'C air-conditioned mall, and couldn't imagine myself being able to live there. However after going back and to for 2 years now, I am starting to learn where some nice places are, the central park with the lake nice to go for walks near to dusk, the river side and river boat restaurants nice to spend an evening there, also more restaurants on the other side of town again next to the river, nice to eat out at lunch-time, an open-air swimming pool again go to go late afternoon.

You do find some nice houses for sale, some adverised some word-of-mouth thru friends. I suppose now I know a few places, I could live there at least for period of time, so long as I had my own house, with my drive and car, cable tv, internet and air-conditioning.

But still no McDonalds or their cheesy fries, and no Burger King, just have to do with KFC and pizza hut....