Questions Regarding A Non-imigrant Type O Visa

I have lived in Thailand for over two years, I am a Canadian and am 58 year young! I own or rather lease my home from my wife and own a new Toyota 4x4 as well as other items.

I have lived here using a Non-immigrant Type O multi-entry visa that I have obtained from a Thai consulate in my home city in Canada.

This year I went back to Canada for a visit and wanted a new Type O Visa. The Thai consulate in Canada then informed me that the One year Type O Multi-entry Visa is no longer being issued and that I would have to go for a 3-month type O visa or a 2 month Tourist visa.

What is happening, is this now the case now in Thailand? Can I obtain a One-year Type O Multi-entry Visa through an agency in Thailand?

I do not want wish to get a retirement visa due to Thai banking concerns.

Can anyone provide clarity on this matter?

Regards

Al

I have lived in Thailand for over two years, I am a Canadian and am 58 year young! I own or rather lease my home from my wife and own a new Toyota 4x4 as well as other items.

I have lived here using a Non-immigrant Type O multi-entry visa that I have obtained from a Thai consulate in my home city in Canada.

This year I went back to Canada for a visit and wanted a new Type O Visa. The Thai consulate in Canada then informed me that the One year Type O Multi-entry Visa is no longer being issued and that I would have to go for a 3-month type O visa or a 2 month Tourist visa.

What is happening, is this now the case now in Thailand? Can I obtain a One-year Type O Multi-entry Visa through an agency in Thailand?

Regards

Al

The Consulate sees that you are using multiple entries to avoid the income/banking requirements. Was it the RTCG in Vancouver ? Using an agent is illegal and very dangerous

As said the multi entry O is not freely available anymore, although some consulates seem to be more understanding than others. Are you legally married to a Thai? If so you can obtain one year extensions of stay at half the money required for retirement so you might consider that option.

I assume your wife is Thai and that you are legally married?

Therefore you can get the single entry Non Imm O visa.

After 2 months you can apply to immigration for a one year extension.

you will need to show that you are married, and living with your wife,

plus a sum of 400K baht in the bank, or a pension of 40K baht per month.

The latest info also says that the gophers in Penang can still get multi-entry visa's for applicants like yourself.

You need to have a work permit to work period. You can do that on an O visa of single or multi or extension for support of Thai wife. Just being married gives you no open field but it does lower the bar a bit as you can get by with the 40k income to extend your visa rather than the higher levels now required for various nationalities.

To have a work permit will require working for someone who can supply or setting up a business that can provide.

If you have employment overseas you would not need a work permit here. In that case you could extend your stay here using the foreign income deposited into a Thai bank.

I recently went to the Bali Thai Consulate for a O Visa on Marriage. No problem, they offered me up to 3 Visits.

Sunny

Thanks for that info' Sunny. It is a rather new Consulate. I met the Consul and felt that he'd be reasonable.

Doc, any change of attitude in BNE re type o's?

No change there Squire. :o www.thaiconsulate.org

Regards

Al

The Consulate sees that you are using multiple entries to avoid the income/banking requirements. Was it the RTCG in Vancouver ? Using an agent is illegal and very dangerous

It was the Thai consulate office in Edmonton, Alberta Canada! I would NEVER use anyone but a legal authority for a Visa!

I assume your wife is Thai and that you are legally married?

Therefore you can get the single entry Non Imm O visa.

After 2 months you can apply to immigration for a one year extension.

you will need to show that you are married, and living with your wife,

plus a sum of 400K baht in the bank, or a pension of 40K baht per month.

The latest info also says that the gophers in Penang can still get multi-entry visa's for applicants like yourself.

I had a Buddhist wedding but at this point not legally married! My concern is leaving in a Thai bank 400,000 or 800,000 Baht. The concern is loan/loss previsions that seem to have been reduced along with the increasing debt load being carried by Thai citizens.

Nobody lost money that was in the banks during the 1997 period so do not expect it is going to happen in the future - at least with the major banks. You are not married so you would have to use the 800k retirement type extension but even with that you do not have to have all the money in the bank if you can prove income/pension from overseas. Make the marriage legal and requirements drop in half (although her requirements might not). :o

You need to have a work permit to work period.  You can do that on an O visa of single or multi or extension for support of Thai wife.  Just being married gives you no open field but it does lower the bar a bit as you can get by with the 40k income to extend your visa rather than the higher levels now required for various nationalities.

Sorry Lopburi3

Not correct, Work permit can only be aquired with a class B visa. I know because I had a non O, the company sent me out to Singapore to get a Non B before they could apply fpr my WP.

You need to have a work permit to work period.  You can do that on an O visa of single or multi or extension for support of Thai wife.  Just being married gives you no open field but it does lower the bar a bit as you can get by with the 40k income to extend your visa rather than the higher levels now required for various nationalities.

Sorry Lopburi3

Not correct, Work permit can only be aquired with a class B visa. I know because I had a non O, the company sent me out to Singapore to get a Non B before they could apply fpr my WP.

You can obtain a work permit on an O visa issued on the basis of having a Thai spouse and many have done so. There is no need to go to any Consulate and obtain a B visa.

Edited by lopburi3

Sorry Lopburi3

You can obtain a work permit on an O visa issued on the basis of having a Thai spouse and many have done so. There is no need to go to any Consulate and obtain a B visa.

As per usual, Lop is absolutely correct. Sorry PsC but Immigration misinformed you.

Sorry Lopburi3

I am speaking about personal experience, I and my (well know Thai company)made application via Songkhla, Bangkok and ChiangMai Immigration. We got the same answer, No B Class no WP. I am Married and have children in Thailand. I was told by them, go out and get a class B, I did. I was then issued a WP complete with one year visa extention. Bye the way I should point out to members, many subjects discussed on this forum are only discussions not rules of law.

Pchef, that's astonishing. I kept hearing from various sources that the Company wanted the Job Applicant to have a B-Visa, as they then have more control over him (his Visa expires as soon as he quits the Job, whereas the O Visa granted on Marriage / Support stays valid.

I personally know at least two farangs in Pattaya with WP and O Visa.

Strange. Is there any new Rule?

Sunny

I personally know at least two farangs in Pattaya with WP and O Visa.

Strange. Is there any new Rule?

Sunny

I got a WP for myself in BKK to work for our (Thai majority owned) company last Oct/Nov timeframe, and it was issued against a 90 day entry on a multi-entry O visa. Since then, I got the annual extension of stay based on support of my wife and updated the WP to match, exactly as everyone has described on this website.

It is very confusing to hear of all the different experiences!