Thailand Tightens Border Controls

george

PNEUMONIC PLAGUE

Thailand tightens border controls against disease

BANGKOK: -- Thai public health has stepped up its border precautions to guard against any possible outbreak of the pneumonic plague which claimed three fatalities in China.

Health minister Witthaya Kaewparadai said he had assigned the Disease Control Department to keep a close watch on China's measures against the plague.

There would be border monitoring to prevent animal carriers of the plague from entering into Thailand.

"No special measures are being launched against the pneumonic plague," he said, adding "The World Health Organization (WHO) is monitoring the situation and we will follow its measures."

The pneumonic plague outbreak hit China's Ziketan in the northwestern province of Qinghai, killing at least three people. The Chinese government has already sealed off the the town of more than 10,000 people to prevent the spread of the outbreak.

Pneumonic plague is caused by the bacteria 'Yersinia pestis.' In its spread the plague bacillus enters the skin from the site of the bite and travels through the lymphatic system to the nearest lymph node.

It is usually transmitted between animals and humans by the bite of infected fleas, direct contact, inhalation and only rarely, by eating or drinking infected food.

Witthaya however added that the pneumonic plague can be spread only in a short period, unlike the influenza A(H1N1) in which the virus stays in human bodies for longer periods and can be transmitted to other persons.

"Untreated patients of pneumonic plague can die within 24 hours after contracting the plague."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-07

Hello, this is very disturbing news so I will buy myself a flea collar at the pet store to be safe. It should go good with my surgical mask and rubber gloves and boots. At what point will a hazmat suit go into fashion? I hope they will get all the infected fleas at the border, but they are difficult to get off the rats. Cheers.