Adopting Wife's Son

Yamba

Hi,

I'm wanting to adopt my wife's son who has been living with us since he was 2, now 7. Wife has sole custody of him but the father is still alive. Where do I start and what is needed to legally do this here in Phuket. Also if the above is possible how easy is it to get him an Australian passort, he would also have access to a New Zealand passport if that was easier.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm wanting to adopt my wife's son who has been living with us since he was 2, now 7. Wife has sole custody of him but the father is still alive. Where do I start and what is needed to legally do this here in Phuket. Also if the above is possible how easy is it to get him an Australian passort, he would also have access to a New Zealand passport if that was easier.

Thanks

If you have been married in LOS more than one year, you can apply (forgot the name of the office) next to gouvernors office in Phuket town.

Hi,

Thanks

If you have been married in LOS more than one year, you can apply (forgot the name of the office) next to gouvernors office in Phuket town.

its called "Jangwat"

Go to the government offices opposite the end of the tennis court & down the far end is the Child Adoption office. The process will take about two years but when finalised make sure you get a certificate of compliance under The Hague Convention which should make it relatively easy to obtain an Australian or New Zealand passport.

Edited by Valentine