Japanese Plan For Don Mueang Airport

churchill

The government has accepted an offer to join forces with the Japan Aviation Academy (JAA) in developing Don Mueang airport as a regional aviation hub, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday.

He said JAA chief executive officer Shigeo Umezawa visited him at Government House today and proposed the government come up with investment projects to develop the old airport.

Mr Umezawa said that as Bangkok is already a transport centre for many countries in the Asian region it was only fitting that avaition-related businesses should be set up at Don Mueang.

Mr Abhisit said he knew many Japanese businesses were now based in Thailand and had therefore decided to visit Japan soon after taking office to tighten ties between the two countries.

continued postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 07/08/09

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...-mueang-airport

The government has accepted an offer to join forces with the Japan Aviation Academy (JAA) in developing Don Mueang airport as a regional aviation hub, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday.

Here we go again, that infamous phrase in Thailand "regional hub"..... :)

How many "regional hubs" have been proposed for Thailand over the years ??....

With Swampy now fully operational, there really is no role for DM to play in the passenger field. Too many people want to transfer to connecting internal/external flights, etc., and the idea of trudging from one airport to another simply doesn't appeal.

I believe it was Thai Airways shift of their internal flights back to DM that buggered them up (along with Nok Air), it certainly gave Air Asia a free hand to scoop up all the long haul connectors from Chiang Mai, for example.

Why not just dig up the runways and let the air force expand their golf course? At least it would give all those Air Force top brass something to do! :)

I'm just so cynical of "grand plan" that the politicians dream up, it usually results in a white elephant and too many backhanders.

Forget the hubs!

A City as Bangkok has a need of a domestic Airport,or will have if the economy starts again.

Look at other Countries!And ,of course,some midrange routes would benefit too.

MHO only,but do really think everyone is happy to land in Swampy?

F1 Racetrack !!

I can just imagine CUSTOMS salivating at the idea!

Oh my Budha the potential for TEA MONEY!!!!

Everything MUST be in place within a week or less.

Oh, but maybe a gratuity will speed things up for the boys ion the back...

Hello, it would be good to see something done to the old airport. Maybe they have been waiting to see how much the people in power can put in their own pockets before they will decide what happens. Many years hav passed since the new airport has been in development with no plan for the old airport. It is a very valuable property so I hope the people in power make a good choice to the benefit of all the Thai people. Cheers.

Hello, it would be good to see something done to the old airport. Maybe they have been waiting to see how much the people in power can put in their own pockets before they will decide what happens. Many years hav passed since the new airport has been in development with no plan for the old airport. It is a very valuable property so I hope the people in power make a good choice to the benefit of all the Thai people. Cheers.

Good choice?

This is another attempt by Abhisit to block Newin. Good choice has nothing to do with it, it's the usual politics.

(In this rare case I agree with the dodgy Etonite.)

Forget the hubs!

A City as Bangkok has a need of a domestic Airport,or will have if the economy starts again.

Look at other Countries!And ,of course,some midrange routes would benefit too.

MHO only,but do really think everyone is happy to land in Swampy?

Any town of the same size in the world has more than one airport.

The idea to make Don Mueang the domestic airport for Bangkok would be a very good one.

It would indeed save the loss of much investment done into DM.

And create a lot of possibilities in Suvarnibhumi.

What would be needed is a fast raillink between both airports to make the whole thing workable.

In fact, the rail connection is already there at Don Mueang, the Eastern line crosses the Northeastern line, that line comes withing a few miles of the new airport, and a branch line to the airport can be built in a short time.

In fact, one of the former governments did already order a connection between the two airports.

I guess the Japanese recognise the possibilities very well indeed.

Edited by hansnl

Japanese industry has long wanted to get into the production of commercial airplanes and both Boeing and Airbus are having problems. Don Muang provides a ready-made locale for such a production area. I am not surprised that the Japanese aviation industry is showing interest. It does make sense.

What about a new King Power Duty Free Mall?

Now ya talking!!!

BR>Jack

They should shut down all these hundreds of tiny little container parks surrounding residential areas and relocate all container traffic to Don Muang! By providing a dedicated road link to the Port they could then solve two problems at once, the need for massive container storage space and relief of major traffic congestion throughout many of the city's residential areas!

Good choice?

This is another attempt by Abhisit to block Newin. Good choice has nothing to do with it, it's the usual politics.

(In this rare case I agree with the dodgy Etonite.)

Actually he's an old Etonian. Etonite sounds like a brand of luggage or toaster. :)

Edited by ratcatcher

Here we go again, that infamous phrase in Thailand "regional hub"..... :)

How many "regional hubs" have been proposed for Thailand over the years ??....

I think the Thai government should better contact companies like DHL. TNT, UPS and others who are specialized in air freight to make Don Muang their regional hub. This could can create thousands of jobs.