1 Month Extensions On Marriage Visa!

I have been on a marriage visa for a 1 year, but when trying to extend it in Dec, they gave me the normal 'application of stay is under consideration' for 1 month. When I went back in January they said, "still not approved", and gave me another month. I went back again and guess what, they said the same and gave me another month until the start of April! The money I had in the bank account was not sent from abroad, which might be the problem.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of times they can give me a 1 month extension and make me come back every month. It is a hassle as I have to travel 3 hours to get to the Nong Kai office.

If they are going to reject it, why don't they just tell me now? I think they may make me go every month until I can get a work permit, which I don't have now.

Cheers in advance

NN

If you do not have a work permit and the money is not from overseas you are most likely not going to receive an extension of stay for one year. They seem to be trying to give you time to get your act together but not sure how much longer they will be able to continue. A deposit from overseas or a job with a work permit should be your priorities.

I understand that a 3 hour trip is a pain; but you are the person not meeting the requirements so I would not be complaining about inconvenience too loudly.

Just noticed you said "had in the bank account". You must have the money in the account until your extension is processed. So if it is now below 400k I suggest you top it up. Perhaps they will let the origin slide if you at least have the money in the bank.

Edited by lopburi3

If you do not have apermit and the money is not from overseas you are most likely not going to recei work ve an extension of stay for one year. They seem to be trying to give you time to get your act together but not sure how much longer they will be able to continue. A deposit from overseas or a job with a work permit should be your priorities.

I understand that a 3 hour trip is a pain; but you are the person not meeting the requirements so I would not be complaining about inconvenience too loudly.

Just noticed you said "had in the bank account". You must have the money in the account until your extension is processed. So if it is now below 400k I suggest you top it up. Perhaps they will let the origin slide if you at least have the money in the bank.

Thanks Lopburi,

You are right, unfortunately. I cannot get the money in the bank, but may be getting a job with a work permit soon.

I never complained to them, was very polite actually doing the 'wai' thing.

I should be glad, I guess that they gave me the extensions.

If you do not have a work permit and the money is not from overseas you are most likely not going to receive an extension of stay for one year.  They seem to be trying to give you time to get your act together but not sure how much longer they will be able to continue.  A deposit from overseas or a job with a work permit should be your priorities. 

Just noticed you said "had in the bank account".  You must have the money in the account until your extension is processed.  So if it is now below 400k I suggest you top it up.  Perhaps they will let the origin slide if you at least have the money in the bank.

So for the extention of the marriag visa the money has to come from a foreign account to the Thai Bank account. So if my wife transfers the money from her Thai account to my Dutch account and I put it into my newly opened Thai Bank account everything will be ok? :o

So for the extention of the marriag visa the money has to come from a foreign account to the Thai Bank account. So if my wife transfers the money from her Thai account to my Dutch account and I put it into my newly opened Thai Bank account everything will be ok? :o

The would be best and less chance of any questions being asked. But as with above believe they often go out of their way to try to help those that are married and may not check source too closely; especially for those they believe are sincere.

I've never had a problem taking the money out of the bank as soon as the letter from the bank manager and the copies from the bank book had been delivered to the MiB.

I've also never been asked to prove where the money in my account came from. (It's from ATM from my overseas bank, I've got the slips but never been asked to provide them).

It's normal to get at least 2-3 one-month extensions before you get the final approval.

Edited by madsere

It's normal to get at least 2-3 one-month extensions before you get the final approval.

Really, has this happened to you?

This is not my first year in asking.

Anyone out there got a spare 400,000 baht? (only joking :o )

I've never had a problem taking the money out of the bank as soon as the letter from the bank manager and the copies from the bank book had been delivered to the MiB.

I've also never been asked to prove where the money in my account came from. (It's from ATM from my overseas bank, I've got the slips but never been asked to provide them).

Others have but if you have a track record it helps. Also they do not normally accept ATM receipts so be very happy they have not questioned source.

Of course if you work in Thailand the money would not be expected to come from overseas (for those reading that may be here on work permits).

It normally take about 45 days for approval for support Thai wife so that would be at least two 30 day extensions if done upcountry.

While it might be slightly off topic in the two years I have been asking for an extension of stay based on my employment here not marraige I have on both occasions only been granted the '1 year' extension after receving a couple of one month extensions while the application has been under review.

I was led to believe that this is normal

Yes, every year.

Anyone out there got a spare 400,000 baht? (only joking :o )

Happened to me as well.It took 4 months.there was no problems with money etc either...just the way it is sometimes :D