Turtle Bait

Hi All,

Anyone know what freshwater turtles eat, looked in the well this morning to see an 18inch turtle swimming about, water level about 4 meters down. tried catching him in a fruit basket on a rope but he just dived, thinking of submerging a fruit basket with some food above to catch him, unless anyone has a better idea. We are in a inland rural area of Chantaburi, Is it Ok to just let him go when we get him out.

Cheers

Steve

Fish.

Try with a perforated waste basket must be deep so he not climbs out.

A net is also a solution.

Best solution is to take him to your local wat, they might have a pond with friend there.

Many Thais release turtles in temple grounds for merit.

If not take him to a lake or stream.

In many rural households will be a hoop of bamboo that holds a fine net used for catching small fish, shrimps and any other water born protien out in the flooding rice fields. I would suggest attaching two lengths of rope/line to the hoop, one arranged so that it can lift the net horizontally the other just tied on one side to drop the net as shown in the diagram below. With a weight (stone?) securely tied to the opposite side from the drop rope/line you could drop the net below the surface of the water, the turtle will dive in fear but surface for air after a while then carefully catch and pull up the turtle. Let us know how you finally cook it !

post-31633-1250058639_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the advice, hauled the big fella out this morning in a fruit basket that was partly submerged, a variation of Cubans idea.

Mashed potato, brusssel sprouts and BBQ'd turtle very nice for lunch, very crunchy.

Only joking, said fella released in big pond on temple grounds and a few merit points for me.

Cheers

post-75752-1250729839_thumb.jpg

Always nice with a happy ending. :D

Hi Steve28

Great news ! ~~~ any photo's?

How the hel_l did it get in there in the first place?

TBWG :)

Hi.

Sorry didn't have my camera with me, not living on the land yet, still building.

How did he get in there? stupid turtle i guess, but quite a drop as the water level is quite low.

Mystery is how long had it been there, no reason to check the well very often, but bought the land in March and since had a feeling sometging might be in there, bubbles etc, have a feeling it dives when it here's someone coming, could he have survived that long, I don't know.

At the moment only builders using the well, I think if they had seen him or knew he was in there he would have ended up on the plate. Luckily there isn't much reason to go to the well. waters pumped a few hundred meters to where it's being used.

Have got a photo of a blue scorpion, don't know if they are common, trying to upload photo.

cheers