Anything I Should Bring To Thailand?

HalfSquat

I'm coming to Bangkok soon and staying for a good few months maybe a couple of years.

Is there anything I should bring with me I can't get over there?

I guess most things can be purchased in Bangkok - they have Tesco don't they?

I'm bringing lots of t-shirts and shorts and some trainers and shoes so that should be ok.

I hear protein powder is hard to come buy but not sure if I want to bring that through customs!

Thanks.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bring clothes and shoes from the UK? They are cheap and plentiful in Thailand. You will spend most of your time wearing flip-flops too.

Trainers are liable to make your feet rot with sweat in the 32+ Deg C heat.

Foodstuffs are available at more of a premium if you want 'Farang' type food.

I have taken more stuff back to the UK that I brought over initially.

Sort your favourite music onto some DVDs and think more about travelling light :)

Why bring clothes and shoes from the UK? They are cheap and plentiful in Thailand. You will spend most of your time wearing flip-flops too.

Sort your favourite music onto some DVDs and think more about travelling light :)

It was a blast from the past reading your email. I came to Thailand almost a year ago and I bought everything with me that I owned. I would love to say that I have opened all those boxes and been so happy to have all those 'useful' items. Unfortunately this is not true.

Its utter rubbish that you spend your life in shorts , unless you are a complete loser and want to look like someone who was brought up in Florida eating MacDonalds. Do you really want to be eaten by Mosquitos? Then don't dress like their supper.

This is however a very hot country and you must be aware of this and be realistic about what clothes to bring to bring.

Don't throw away your books.

, if you have any as books here are expensive. Fill your case with wine and cheese and dream about how cheap it was back home.

best of luck.

Well, I am here since 25 years and go back once a year. What I bring with me is nothing in both directions. All can be purchased here.

So, I am the one at Swampy without a luggage back to EU and reverse. :)

Sort your favourite music onto some DVDs and think more about travelling light :D

Agree completely, don't waste your luggage allowance bringing too many T shirts and shorts as you can buy them here for a fraction of the price. If you can eat Thai food you are ok but if you really cannot live without English food (occasionally) and you will have the facilities to cook yourself then you may want to consider bringing some OXO cubes with you :D

Just a year ago I would have also suggested Bisto gravy granules but these are available now in Central Chidlom.

Most other things are widely available. Thai food is great, try everything at least once (within reason). If you don't like it, not problem, if you don't try it you will never know.

I would assume that you are a modern kind of guy and wont be bringing your record player or your record collection! maybe you even have one of those new fangled i-pod thingies. Don't put too many mp3's on it though or you may exceed your baggage allowance :)

I hear what you are saying about clothes but I've already bought them so might as well bring them. Most stuff will be going to the charity shop though.

My suitcase is already over the 20kgs though so gotta cut back a bit.

Is sun cream expensive over there? I have lots but its quite heavy. All music and DVDs have been digitised and are on my computer. Books are going to the charity shop too.

I don't think I could afford new clothes each time I make a trip back to England or back to Thailand but it would be nice to travel that light!

I've read my books so will give them away. It would cost a bomb to ship them I would imagine. Will probably get an ebook reader out there to save on space.

I like Thai food so not too bothered about leaving English food behind. They do have ketchup and Heinz beans though?

I've heard Nike trainers cost the same over there as they do there so will bring mine with me.

Edited by HalfSquat

There seems to quite a difference of opinion from the posters. I personally find there are so many things I like that cannot be found in Thailand. Everytime I go back to the States my bag is jammed full of merchandise I can get CHEAPER back home! Yes, you can get cheap low quality clothes anywhere in Thailand, but the decent quality name brands will cost you more here. That is also true for department store quality cooking, home decor, etc. However, I don't know about the U.K.

I like to cook and every year I go home I fill my bag full of cooking items. Last month I brought back lots of cheese and some Masa Harina. Real Masa is not available here. Airport security even opened my bag for inspection. I guess they thought I was packing C4 explosive.

Thailand has lots of things but the selection is pathetic. If you have favorite toothpaste, deodorant, etc, bring it in bulk. Why not? I really do not like the white gym socks here. They are too small and hurt, so I always pack myself with a year supply from home.

This is my opinion and others may not miss items from home, but I do. Especially the selection.

Interesting kyb, I'm happy with basic t-shirts from GAP or Marks and Spencer and they are about £5 which is about 280THB. How much would a plain cotton t-shirt that won't shrink cost in Bangkok?

I was thinking of getting some Nike Dri-fit t-shirts before I came out as I imagine I will get a bit hot over there. I guess Nike stuff will be cheaper here in England.

Don't they have socks in Thailand? Oh dear. Will bring some bathroom products then. I can always get stuff sent over it I get stuck I guess.

Sun cream is a lot more expensive in LOS, i'd bring lots of decent razors the 5 blade gillette ones cant be bought in LOS and electric toothbrush heads, and all designer clothes are way overpriced in LOS.

And yes the plain t shirts from M and S are ideal 2 for 8 quid at the moment, i usually get about 10 at a time.

I somewhat agree with others here. You can buy most everything in Thailand that you will need. However, electronics are more expensive in Thailand. At least they are comparing to North America. I don't know about comparible costs in the UK. Computers are far cheaper in North America.

Also, you often can't find good, comfortable sandals with covered toes for changing gears on motorbikes. I like "Keens", but haven't seen them in Thailand and they would be more expensive if they were available. As others have mentioned, you will spend 90% of your time in sandals. However, long walks wearing new sandals WILL cause blisters in hot weather until your feet toughen up. A comfortable pair of good quality running shoes gives your feet a rest... even it they are hot. I almost wore out my Keens after 6 months of constant wear.

You WILL miss the specialty food items (like certain cheeses) that you love back home. They cost far more in Thailand, even if you can find them. Rimping food market imports many items from all over the globe, but they are more expensive. But, even if you could get food through customs I doubt if it would be worth the effort.

Certainly bring a good novel or two to read along the way. Sitting for hours in airports between connections is a pain. Books are more expensive in Thailand.

If you like to back pack and need good nylon luggage be sure to bring your gear from home. The stuff in Thailand only LOOKS good. The stuff is mostly junk with poor straps. I've looked all over the place in Thailand and have yet to find a good outdoor store handling quality gear.

Cotton clothing of all types is readily available in Thailand.

If you like fly fishing then bring your own gear. It's not available in Thailand. I don't know about golf clubs because I'm not a golfer, but my golfing friends bring their own clubs and leave a set here if they intend to return on a regular basis. I've seen tennis raquets in Tesco and other sports items like bicycles.

I would also bring your own camera. They are more expensive in Thailand.

Don't they have socks in Thailand? Oh dear. Will bring some bathroom products then. I can always get stuff sent over it I get stuck I guess.

You will never get stuck. Thailand has everything you need to survive. Its just a matter of taste. Oh, and as another poster mentioned. Condoms from home....first priority. You can't get western size here, they will hurt. But the last 5 boxes I brought back said "Made in Thailand" :)

The only things I want that I can't find in Thailand are food items. And since you can't really take a meal or large quantities of spoilable food with you, pack lightly and buy everything you need here.

Thanks again, especially IanForbes.

I have an electric toothbrush so will get some heads. Will be looking to play tennis out there so will have a look in Tesco when I arrive.

I've got flip flops but don't think I will be riding a motor bike! I've got a North Face rucksack which I think is ok. Wouldn't mind one with an air vent at the back to stop me getting a sweaty back! Got a camera but not really a proper mobile at the moment. How much is an Xbox 360 out there?

Thanks again, especially IanForbes.

I have an electric toothbrush so will get some heads. Will be looking to play tennis out there so will have a look in Tesco when I arrive.

I've got flip flops but don't think I will be riding a motor bike! I've got a North Face rucksack which I think is ok. Wouldn't mind one with an air vent at the back to stop me getting a sweaty back! Got a camera but not really a proper mobile at the moment. How much is an Xbox 360 out there?

Xbox 360 arcade is around 12,000 baht, already chipped. There is a gaming forum here too you might wanna check out for more info

Porrage Oats ( maybe obtainable in Bangkok ) Maybe not, If you can get them they will be Expensive.

Pottato Masher and OXO's Vacum packed Bacon to Freeze ( Bacon in Thailand is not good)

Gaviscon ( Not to be taken on to the aircraft in hand lugage )

Most western medicines available at a Price 3 to 4 times the cost in the UK Good Luck

Do yourself a favour and don't believe anything anyone says about leaving your clothes at home. The quality of the stall bought cheap stuff is absolutely terrible, when you start venturing into the stores thats when the prices become high. You won't find quality stuff like you find in 'Next' in Thailand. Every piece of clothing i have ever bought in Thailand has been utter rubbish, most T-shirts have the feeling of wearing a plastic bag even though the label states '100% Cotton' yeah right, more like polyester. Do you think Thai textile buyers demand from china the same rigorous quality standards of the uk high street of even Tescos for that matter. Funnily enough the best quality cheap T-shirts i ever bought were in cambodia, nice designs as well. Remember Thai don't sweat falangs don't stop. Also if your on the big side you will have trouble finding the right sizes especially underwear they just don't buy clothes to cater for anyone bigger than a Thai. You have been warned, and who want's to walk round with beerchang on there t-shirt anyway. Peace.

A couple years ago I was in Tesco Lotus and some old guy with a young Thai woman asked me where he could find KY as had looked everywhere. I couldn't help and don't know if you can get it here or not.

Porrage Oats ( maybe obtainable in Bangkok ) Maybe not, If you can get them they will be Expensive.

Pottato Masher and OXO's Vacum packed Bacon to Freeze ( Bacon in Thailand is not good)

Gaviscon ( Not to be taken on to the aircraft in hand lugage )

Most western medicines available at a Price 3 to 4 times the cost in the UK Good Luck

Absolute <deleted>..

Do you actually live in Thailand ??..if you do, you obviously dont ever leave your condo...

Porriage oats are obtainable just about everywhere...got a 400gm can of Quakers in my hand right now, which was bought for THB 69

Potatoe mashers can be bought in just about every Tesco's/Big C/Villa/Home Pro/food land

Gaviscon can be bought in just about every pharamcy

Half decent bacon can be bought at villa/foodland etc

Agree OXO's you cant get...

Western medicine is actually cheaper than the UK most cases but certainly not 3-4 time the UK...

And before you suggest I can get all this because I live in BKK or Pattaya..I dont live in either.... :)

If you have big feet and or big shoulders (as I do) clothes shopping is not fun. I see lots of good quality cotton shirts but they never fit me and the rubber fip flops are always too small. That is the one thing I always ask for when people visit , bring me big slippas!

If your planning to live out here best to bring tools & hardware items you might need. The tools here suck. I brought a shovel in July from the U.S. because my old one was on welding repair #8. I do regret not bringing my tools. If you wear good sandals in England Teva ,Scotts or any other good gear you might wan't to sprank the 15-20 quid for something that won't break & leave your feet shredded. My Scotts finally died after 2 years & had 5 new pairs waiting in the U.S. Unfortunately I had to settle for a pair to make it for 3 weeks- They didn't!

If you fancy special BBQ sauce for the next couple years -Stock up I bring 10 kilos of BBQ sauce every year I go back home. Unless you like Kraft regular & Heinz or A1 steak sauce. If you are planning on getting an Ipod or a music player or phone buy at home it is cheaper.

If you have big feet and or big shoulders (as I do) clothes shopping is not fun. I see lots of good quality cotton shirts but they never fit me and the rubber fip flops are always too small. That is the one thing I always ask for when people visit , bring me big slippas!

I have size 11 UK (12 USA) feet and I can go to Big C and to the local supermarket and get shoes to fit.

Plenty of shirts around in XL and XXL.

Adidas and other type shirts also readily available and cheaper than the UK. Dress shirts too if you want them.

Maybe not have oxo but they have knorr cubes :)

Shaving cream! If you shave with a razor, that stuff is expensive here. The same can of Gillette gel is 3 times more in Tops that what I pay in Canada.

As for clothes, the biggest shirts I have seen here are 7XL (XXXXXXXL) so if you are bigger than that then you better bring some from home.

the only thing i bring back from uk on my 2 yearly visits are tea bags tea bags and tea bags 100s,the are expensive here 5quid a 100,or lest you buy tescos,at 2/50.my mates are always talking about colemans mustard and oxos, not being available??

Probably easier and more logical for the OP to post SPECIFICALLY what he reckons he will need rather than people suggesting the likes of porridge oats and multi-blade razors. The bugger may not be hirsute Jockinese after all.

It seems he needs both hands and a flashlight for starters.