Must Be Time To Return Home

skipvice

things I Like

1. The weather

2. The friendly people (see things I hate)

3. cost of living

4. Beautiful Temples & landscapes

5. Nice Golf cources

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

2. Noise-every were you go,can not escape it.

3. santiary conditions, burning garbage, dirty water,dog crap on the side wallks,food stalls serving cold food that should be hot while picking there nose.

4. Double pricing

5. Rude Thai males, if they got a little money,they think there crap don't stink.

6. being constantly interupeted while talking or talked over as if what you have to say is not important or don't matter because you are a falang.

7. Laws not inforced (coruption)

yea I know, if you don't like it here leave. I came to Thailand to retire and injoy life and its just not working for me.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

things I Like

1. The weather

3. cost of living

5. Nice Golf courses

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

3. santiary conditions, burning garbage, dirty water,dog crap on the side wallks,food stalls serving cold food that should be hot while picking there nose.

4. Double pricing

5. Rude Thai males, if they got a little money,they think there crap don't stink.

6. being constantly interupeted while talking or talked over as if what you have to say is not important or don't matter because you are a falang.

yea I know, if you don't like it here leave. I came to Thailand to retire and injoy life and its just not working for me.

8. also bugs ants, the tiney little ones that you can hardly see. kill them off and ther back next day

plus missing the grandkids

I guess if you realy want to leave you can find a lot more reasons. The way I feel right now I can't belive anybody whould pefer LOS over their own country.

The bad outwiegh the good :)

There is no right and wrong answer on these things. We all have our own personal balance sheets, good vs. bad, and whether it is desirable to stay or not. For me, it's easy. I am a lazy bugger and if I had to go back to the US I would have to get a job in an economy where jobs are very hard to get. Here I can be a happy bum. I will put of with a lot of dog shit on the pavement to stay here!

Why not 50/50 here and there? That is what I do and wouldn't change it for anything. It's cheaper to close my home and turn off the water, and come to Thailand for the winter than stay at home and pay the heating bills. And, I only have to insure my truck for 7 months of the year. That way you get the best of both worlds and always have something to look forward to.

things I Like

1. The weather

3. cost of living

5. Nice Golf cources

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

4. Double pricing

Well said mate ,at least you have the balls to come on here and admit it . I weighed it up good and proper before deciding to live about 10 months in the UK 2 in the L O F S,s for the sake of the wife more than me, it fits in well with my job too, 2 months in Jan and Feb ,, but boy am I ever glad to get back home to some sanity !

dont forget to write what you like and dislike back home that would balance it out for you.

to much noise here agreed so go to an island buses are cheap to the islands off Pattaya, ferry is 20bht and you can stay beachfront for as little as 600bht/night

to hot then swim on the beach, cool down in your bungalow with a/c

eat at the gazzilion food halls, similar price and hygenic

I dont hang out with Thai males, what would be the point unless your in a village

I dont get talked over so dont know why its happening to you

double pricing ? Im in Bkk and maybe pay 5 bht more for my som tam, I can live with that

Have never had anything to do with the law so wouldn't know about that one

Now the things I hate back home? to many to list but being smiled at for no reason is just one. Not being able to eat in a Thai restaurant for under $20 is another. Not being able to shoot off to an island on a whim is another, too many to list. When you go home you will become INVISIBLE and thats a way bigger shock than "to much noise"

Now the things I hate back home? to many to list but being smiled at for no reason is just one. Not being able to eat in a Thai restaurant for under $20 is another. Not being able to shoot off to an island on a whim is another, too many to list. When you go home you will become INVISIBLE and thats a way bigger shock than "to much noise"

And I certainly miss the tri weekly phone calls from my "girls" asking if they can come over for a visit. :)

But, I'm used to being a hermit at home while writing and painting. Of course it's too easy to veg out and watch TV when I should be more creative. Of course I DO have to do my own cooking and cleaning, but that's only because I'm too cheap to pay $20 for the same meal I get for 40 baht in Chiang Mai.

I'm as good a cook as most Thais so good food is never an issue in Canada, and it's still relatively cheap if you eat similar to the Orientals... fresh fruit and vegetables. I hunt and fish for the meat I need.

And I certainly miss the tri weekly phone calls from my "girls" asking if they can come over for a visit. :)

But, I'm used to being a hermit at home while writing and painting. Of course it's too easy to veg out and watch TV when I should be more creative. Of course I DO have to do my own cooking and cleaning, but that's only because I'm too cheap to pay $20 for the same meal I get for 40 baht in Chiang Mai.

I'm as good a cook as most Thais so good food is never an issue in Canada, and it's still relatively cheap if you eat similar to the Orientals... fresh fruit and vegetables. I hunt and fish for the meat I need.

sound like thats a good combo Ian your active outdoors in Canada followed by being pampered in Thailand. That I could handle

Oh and as mentioned by previous poster lies compounded by more lies to cover up the first lie to save face can be annoying at times

Lies:

This is one that has been getting under my skin more than usual lately, why is it that so many people out here can't tell the simple truth even when the truth is not necessarily a bad thing. I just appears to be instinctive.

:)

What lies? What is the simple truth? Everyone views their surroundings differently. The noise that irritates one person is just not noticed by others. Some people hate the heat and others can't get enough of it. It doesn't bother me at all but I have a friend who can't go anywhere without sweating like a pig. His shirt is soaked in a matter of minutes.

Who can deny that the police are not really reliable in Thailand, and you won't get much support if you are in trouble? There IS double pricing, but it bothers some people more than others. It doesn't bother me at all. Rude people don't bother me but I've certainly seen the looks from young Thai males that don't like farangs. I just ignore them and figure they have more problems than I do.

But, I also see the friendly Thais who help strangers when I wouldn't receive the same help at home. I could push a motorcycle with a flat tire for 20 miles in Canada and nobody would stop to help. But, every time I've had a flat in Thailand I've been helped in a matter of minutes.

Everyone has things that annoy them and others that interest them. We all have to weigh the good with the bad and come to a decision on where to live. I like it all and don't want to give up anything... so I don't.

Lies:

This is one that has been getting under my skin more than usual lately, why is it that so many people out here can't tell the simple truth even when the truth is not necessarily a bad thing. I just appears to be instinctive.

Lying, thieving, immoral, nose-picking cheats! I will leave it up to you to decide who I am talking about.

Ummmm.... East Texans?

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

I hate those too :)

That is why we keep our place here too.

We have family in both places though so it is easy to leave our cars with someone when we are not there.

If you can keep two places that is the best option.

Plus the way the world is going it may not be a bad idea.

Lies:

What lies? What is the simple truth? Everyone views their surroundings differently. The noise that irritates one person is just not noticed by others.

What?

Sorry mate but that is just a bunch of psycho-analytical crap. A lie is a lie no matter how you dress it up.

The only grey area might be the white lie, a selfless lie. Unfortunately however the most common variety appears to be the malicious type designed only to cover one's back or for personal gain and it is no secret that lying seems to be a National sport in this part of the world, not only from our hosts but also by from the many dodgy foreigners Thailand attracts.

Lies:

What lies? What is the simple truth? Everyone views their surroundings differently. The noise that irritates one person is just not noticed by others.

What?

Sorry mate but that is just a bunch of psycho-analytical crap. A lie is a lie no matter how you dress it up.

The only grey area might be the white lie, a selfless lie. Unfortunately however the most common variety appears to be the malicious type designed only to cover one's back or for personal gain and it is no secret that lying seems to be a National sport in this part of the world, not only from our hosts but also by from the many dodgy foreigners Thailand attracts.

Yes, lies are usually black and white, and yes lying is quite common, and yes there are many dodgy foreigners in Thailand. But what has this to do with the original topic?

I didn't write a bunch of psycho-analytical crap. I just replied to the OP's topic that YOU said were LIES. I couldn't see a lie in anything on his list. I might not agree with the OP's perspective, but that doesn't make them lies. Or, for that matter, what anyone else said was a lie. I'm still confused about the lying issue? :D

Lies:

What?

Yes, lies are usually black and white, and yes lying is quite common, and yes there are many dodgy foreigners in Thailand. But what has this to do with the original topic?

I didn't write a bunch of psycho-analytical crap. I just replied to the OP's topic that YOU said were LIES. I couldn't see a lie in anything on his list. I might not agree with the OP's perspective, but that doesn't make them lies. Or, for that matter, what anyone else said was a lie. I'm still confused about the lying issue? :D

I see what's happened here, we have a mis-understanding.

I wasn't calling the OP a liar, I was stating that the common habit of lie telling in Thailand is something that I dislike about the place. in keeping with the subject.

things I Like

1. The weather

3. cost of living

5. Nice Golf courses

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

4. Double pricing

8. also bugs ants, the tiney little ones that you can hardly see. kill them off and ther back next day

plus missing the grandkids

I guess if you realy want to leave you can find a lot more reasons. The way I feel right now I can't belive anybody whould pefer LOS over their own country.

The bad outwiegh the good :)

You are not considering the female factor. Take that away and I think there would be a lot less people here trying to convince themselves that it's so much better than their own home country's.

I wasn't calling the OP a liar, I was stating that the common habit of lie telling in Thailand is something that I dislike about the place. in keeping with the subject.

:):D:D

Ah, now I understand. I agree. Lying and hypocrisy drives me crazy. Fortunately, I see far less hypocrisy in Thailand than I do in North America, but lying seems to be a national sport in Thailand. Once you understand, it helps when you play the game. Forewarned is forearmed so to speak.

1. too hot at times

4. Double pricing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where you live makes a big difference. I can eliminate dislikes no's 2,3,4,5 and 6. My biggest complaint is government corruption.

Lies:

Lying, thieving, immoral, nose-picking cheats! I will leave it up to you to decide who I am talking about.

Ummmm.... East Texans?

:):D:D:D:D

Lies:

I reached that point some months back and it got to the level where I thought everyone was at it. Added to a lot of other sh*t that was going on I felt like leaving.

Now I am over that since I pruned out certain people and am happier now than before. Sometimes I think we get the 'Blues' over a lot of which we seem to have no or little control, but we do get over it.

The #1 question really though skipvice is:.......

IS THE GRASS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE?

Bye Bye to the original poster. When you come back don't post on this forum again! If you don't come back I assure you you won't be missed!

Would you be missed if you left? Im doubting any of us would in the greater scheme of things.

He is only giving his opinion on a Thai based forum about his experience of Thailand, and you obviously cant digest what he wrote .... as he commented that he is aware that if he doesnt like it he can leave ... it would seem thats what he is doing.

Edited by sanmiguellight

:):D:D

Ah, now I understand. I agree. Lying and hypocrisy drives me crazy. Fortunately, I see far less hypocrisy in Thailand than I do in North America, but lying seems to be a national sport in Thailand. Once you understand, it helps when you play the game. Forewarned is forearmed so to speak.

I'm with Moonrakers on the lying issue. But I'm with you on the rest of your posts.

I'm surprised there is more hypocracy in North America but you live there so I bow to that knowledge.

I'd have put the "lying" point more strongly rather than making the comment euphamistically as that makes you look like a Thai apologist.

" you play the game" Well, actually no. Lying is not a game I will play even if I do "live in Rome"