Best Sunday Roast In Bangkok

Geekfreaklover

Just to throw my 2 baht into the pot - I've eaten the food at MM's a few times in the past (not within the last 12mths however) - including the sunday roast, i found the food to be average-to-good quality - certainly not excellent and certainly not bad.

As for the best Sunday Roast in Bangkok, that question is easy to answer... its the one i often cook for my wife and I - and i tell you all now, it beats even the 5 star hotels for portion size, quality and value for money - i even get the wife to do the washing up afterwards whilst i doze on the sofa - true british sunday lunch styley :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Wolfie... When I say "Sunday roast," I don't mean just the hunk of meat... I mean... EVERYTHING.... Choice of meats, veggies, potatoes, salads, deserts, etc etc... A roast MEAL... Now, if your wife prepared all that.... that sounds GOOD!!! Hehehehe.... But I'm thinking she doesn't, nor is mine likely to.

Barrella, I gather from what you say about the Black Swan, that it is not a buffet...but rather, is a single plate serving... Yes??? I haven't eaten there, although it's very close to my home. In the past couple years here on TV, from what I've seen, there hasn't been any particular comment from numbers of folks recommending the food there. So I've never yet tried. But I may now...although probably Huntsman first this weekend.

One reason I like the buffet approach like Molly Malone's is not necessarily because I'll eat so much/more. But rather, with a buffet, everyone can be happy. My TGF who dearly loves BEEF can eat her heart out on their roast beef. While I tend to prefer their lamb, but I'll usually have a helping of beef and a helping of pork as well.. She loves broccoli... they have it...and she can have as much as she wants. I like au gratin potatoes... same for me. She doesn't like pasta salad... No problem, just skip it... Buffets make those kinds of things easy.

I tend to cook the farang food in our house (i enjoy cooking!) - she cooks the Thai food (she hates cooking!) - hehe

I do cook the entire works tho, the meat, veggies, roast potatoes, roast veggies, yorkshire pudding etc - i dont do the variety (Pork, Chicken, Beef and Lamb) we just choose which one we want on sunday and cook that :)

Anyone tried the Dubliner for Sunday Roast? I went there a while back, and for a plated sunday lunch it was good - i dont remember the price off the top of my head but it wasnt too spendy

I feel the problem with the whole Sunday roast thing is that it is always better in your own house cooked by either your own hands, your good ladies hands or even better your mothers hands. This is why food is so subjective. There is no Sunday roast out there better than my mothers or even my grandmothers when she could still get around and cook, mind you my mother has problems getting around now. I am sure that most of us are the same. No chance a bar in Bangkok can beat it because it is not only the food that makes a good meal.

Edited by barrella

Not true for me, Barrella... My mother, bless her and her long career as a schoolteacher, is a great mom in many respects. But with regard to cooking, she is and was a LOUSY cook.... Not sure why... Her mother/my grandmother was a wonderful cook, and I learned cooking from her, fortunately...

To this day, some 40 years past my childhood, I can't stomach the thought of eating hot dogs, owing to years growing up of having boiled Oscar Meyer hot dogs and boiled frozen mixed vegetables for dinner every week. And my Mom is an American, not a Brit!!! :D

Anything the worst pub in BKK serves up would be better than my Mom's cooking, and she'd be the first to admit it. :)

I'll eat out, thanks very much....

Sorry Wolfie... When I say "Sunday roast," I don't mean just the hunk of meat... I mean... EVERYTHING.... Choice of meats, veggies, potatoes, salads, deserts, etc etc... A roast MEAL... Now, if your wife prepared all that.... that sounds GOOD!!! Hehehehe.... But I'm thinking she doesn't, nor is mine likely to.

Barrella, I gather from what you say about the Black Swan, that it is not a buffet...but rather, is a single plate serving... Yes??? I haven't eaten there, although it's very close to my home. In the past couple years here on TV, from what I've seen, there hasn't been any particular comment from numbers of folks recommending the food there. So I've never yet tried. But I may now...although probably Huntsman first this weekend.

One reason I like the buffet approach like Molly Malone's is not necessarily because I'll eat so much/more. But rather, with a buffet, everyone can be happy. My TGF who dearly loves BEEF can eat her heart out on their roast beef. While I tend to prefer their lamb, but I'll usually have a helping of beef and a helping of pork as well.. She loves broccoli... they have it...and she can have as much as she wants. I like au gratin potatoes... same for me. She doesn't like pasta salad... No problem, just skip it... Buffets make those kinds of things easy.

First Sunday Lunch at MM today and I would say it was good for the price, Not 349 Baht as advertised, 373 Bht (7% tax added). Roast Lamb was good , Would have like to see more veg , just broccoli and carrots but a glass of wine, Apple crumble and custard, and a pot of tea all included thats good value. Just one criticism . I wish the plates were hot or even warm. They were stone cold which makes the food go cold fast, I know Thais dont mind eating cold rice , meat and veg I certainly dont like my Sunday roast cold after 5 minutes.

I will go back ,but hope the management of MMs read this thread.I think constructive criticism should be welcome

I just returned from a late afternoon buffet meal at Molly Malones with my TGF.... It was her first time to try their buffet meal, and she liked it quite a bit....especially the roast beef!

By the time we arrived about 4 pm, they had their usual vegetable offerings of steamed broccoli, cauliflower in cream sauce and stir fried sliced cabbage with bacon bits. I didn't see any carrots, which was fine by me!!! :) Along with roast potato wedges, sliced au gratin potatoes in sauce, cold potato and hard boiled egg salad, and the various other things.

All the usual offerings were good today, as usual. But by late afternoon, the roast beef they were slicing was a bit dry and well-done (over-cooked). The first helping my GF had with her first plate (from an earlier roast) was not nearly so dry or well-done. I had more of the lamb with mint sauce, and roast pork with apple sauce, both very tasty.

By that hour of the afternoon, the plates were certainly not cold, nor were they hot... just room temperature. But I have eaten there around lunch time when they first begin their buffet, and don't recall ever getting a really cold meal plate.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a delay, I finally made it over to the Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 6 to try the Sunday roast buffet at the hotel's Huntsman Pub. Priced at 650 baht inclusive of 10% service charge and tax, the buffet is offered Sundays from 11:30 am until 3 pm.

post-53787-1251707706_thumb.jpg

The food by and large was good, the buffet offers lots of choices-what you'd expect from a upper tier hotel buffet, and the service was attentive and efficient, likewise what you'd expect. The buffet is set up on large, unadorned tables out in the lobby area just outside the basement-level pub, while guests eat inside the pub itself. There's far more to eat on offer here than any person could likely even begin to consume in one sitting.

The Huntsman previously had advertised a lower priced buffet on Saturdays. But the staff informed me yesterday that promotion had since ended, and they no longer are offering any kind of Saturday buffet.

post-53787-1251707784_thumb.jpg

The Huntsman Sunday buffet does not include any drinks, meaning you'll be paying extra for those. The pub does offer 2-for-1 happy hour drink specials all day on Sundays, from 11:30 am to 9 pm, long after the buffet has closed. But given the pub's hotel-based drink prices, that's only a bit of a bargain. I ordered two bottles of regular water, which priced out at 80 baht a piece, bringing my total one-person bill to 810 baht including service charge and tax.

Full buffet tables were devoted to a range of fresh fruit and salad offerings; carved-to-order roasted meats including beef, lamb, turkey and pork, potatoes and battered fish; cooked hot food dishes arrayed in about 10 heated pots; and a variety of deserts, cakes, and ice creams with chocolate or raspberry sauces--each of the categories having its own dedicated serving table.

post-53787-1251707828_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1251707858_thumb.jpg

Although I'm an American, it's easy to see why Brits and alike would enjoy this meal. Among the hot food dishes on offer were favorites such as Beef and Guinness Stew, Country Pie (ground meat topped with baked mashed potatoes and Irish Stew, in addition to the battered fried fish. I tried and liked all of those dishes, although the battered fish tasted like it had been sitting around awhile (which of course it had). Also among the cooked dishes were salmon fillets, which were quite tasty.

On the afternoon of my visit, I discovered the Huntsman Pub staff are very serious about their 3 pm closing time for the buffet. Starting at about 2:50 pm, they began preparing to clear the tables and shortly thereafter began removing the food, even though I and other guests were still eating inside. During that process, finally, one of the waitresses came over to advise the buffet was ending and did I want anything more. That situation was not a problem for me, since I had arrived earlier and by then had eaten my fill. But it strongly suggests to not plan for arriving any later than 2 pm if you want a decent chance to enjoy their buffet.

Here's how I would compare and rate the Huntsman Sunday buffet vs. that at Molly Malone's:

--Huntsman has far more different kinds of food on offer, but at about double the price of MM.

--I like the atmosphere at MM a bit better, finding the Huntsman by comparison a bit dark and basementy... But everyone has their own preferences on ambiance.

--The MM buffet, for half the price, includes hot coffee or tea, a single desert choice and a single glass of wine. The wine and tea/coffee, which I think help complete the meal, you'll pay extra for at the Huntsman.

--Among the food choices offered at the Huntsman, but not at MM, were roast turkey (but no dressing or mashed potatoes), the salmon fillets, an Indian entree of chicken tikka marsala, the English-Irish entrees, the battered fish, and a wider array of deserts and salads.

--That said, I and the GF really like the steamed broccoli and cauliflower in cream sauce on offer at MMs, while neither of those or anything like that surprisingly was found at the Huntsman. The Huntsman did have au gratin potatoes, but I prefer the cheesier, more baked version at Molly's.

--Lastly, since it has been talked about previously in this thread, the roast beef at the Huntsman was tasty and first-rate, probably more tender and not overcooked at much as sometimes occurs at Molly's.

In sum, for a special sometimes occasion where I really wanted everything to be on the table in the way of food choices, I could see the Huntsman buffet as quite a good value offering good food at a price that beats most of the other major hotel buffets. But at a per person total that's going to exceed $20 per adult (assuming any drinks are ordered), it's not inexpensive either.

But for my favorite Sunday buffet, the one I'd choose to return to on a recurring basis, it would remain Molly Malone's. They certainly don't offer all the things available at the Huntsman, but the roasts and other food choices they do offer are more than enough to make for a filling, satisfying Sunday meal. Throw in the wine, coffee/tea and desert for half the price of Huntsman, and it remains a hard deal to beat. Particularly if they do a bit better with their roast beef.

PS - I should note, the Huntsman does not adhere to a no-smoking policy indoors in the single-level pub. As I was eating, another guest came to sit at a table adjoining mine and lit up a cigarette. Later, one of the waitresses told me that they've designated the right-hand side of the pub (as you enter) for smoking and the left-hand side (across from the main central bar serving area) for non-smoking, though I didn't see any signs to indicate that.

After a bit of a delay, I finally made it over to the Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 6 to try the Sunday roast buffet at the hotel's Huntsman Pub. Priced at 650 baht inclusive of 10% service charge and tax, the buffet is offered Sundays from 11:30 am until 3 pm.

post-53787-1251707706_thumb.jpg

The food by and large was good, the buffet offers lots of choices-what you'd expect from a upper tier hotel buffet, and the service was attentive and efficient, likewise what you'd expect. The buffet is set up on large, unadorned tables out in the lobby area just outside the basement-level pub, while guests eat inside the pub itself. There's far more to eat on offer here than any person could likely even begin to consume in one sitting.

The Huntsman previously had advertised a lower priced buffet on Saturdays. But the staff informed me yesterday that promotion had since ended, and they no longer are offering any kind of Saturday buffet.

post-53787-1251707784_thumb.jpg

The Huntsman Sunday buffet does not include any drinks, meaning you'll be paying extra for those. The pub does offer 2-for-1 happy hour drink specials all day on Sundays, from 11:30 am to 9 pm, long after the buffet has closed. But given the pub's hotel-based drink prices, that's only a bit of a bargain. I ordered two bottles of regular water, which priced out at 80 baht a piece, bringing my total one-person bill to 810 baht including service charge and tax.

Full buffet tables were devoted to a range of fresh fruit and salad offerings; carved-to-order roasted meats including beef, lamb, turkey and pork, potatoes and battered fish; cooked hot food dishes arrayed in about 10 heated pots; and a variety of deserts, cakes, and ice creams with chocolate or raspberry sauces--each of the categories having its own dedicated serving table.

post-53787-1251707828_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1251707858_thumb.jpg

Although I'm an American, it's easy to see why Brits and alike would enjoy this meal. Among the hot food dishes on offer were favorites such as Beef and Guinness Stew, Country Pie (ground meat topped with baked mashed potatoes and Irish Stew, in addition to the battered fried fish. I tried and liked all of those dishes, although the battered fish tasted like it had been sitting around awhile (which of course it had). Also among the cooked dishes were salmon fillets, which were quite tasty.

On the afternoon of my visit, I discovered the Huntsman Pub staff are very serious about their 3 pm closing time for the buffet. Starting at about 2:50 pm, they began preparing to clear the tables and shortly thereafter began removing the food, even though I and other guests were still eating inside. During that process, finally, one of the waitresses came over to advise the buffet was ending and did I want anything more. That situation was not a problem for me, since I had arrived earlier and by then had eaten my fill. But it strongly suggests to not plan for arriving any later than 2 pm if you want a decent chance to enjoy their buffet.

Here's how I would compare and rate the Huntsman Sunday buffet vs. that at Molly Malone's:

--Huntsman has far more different kinds of food on offer, but at about double the price of MM.

--I like the atmosphere at MM a bit better, finding the Huntsman by comparison a bit dark and basementy... But everyone has their own preferences on ambiance.

--The MM buffet, for half the price, includes hot coffee or tea, a single desert choice and a single glass of wine. The wine and tea/coffee, which I think help complete the meal, you'll pay extra for at the Huntsman.

--Among the food choices offered at the Huntsman, but not at MM, were roast turkey (but no dressing or mashed potatoes), the salmon fillets, an Indian entree of chicken tikka marsala, the English-Irish entrees, the battered fish, and a wider array of deserts and salads.

--That said, I and the GF really like the steamed broccoli and cauliflower in cream sauce on offer at MMs, while neither of those or anything like that surprisingly was found at the Huntsman. The Huntsman did have au gratin potatoes, but I prefer the cheesier, more baked version at Molly's.

--Lastly, since it has been talked about previously in this thread, the roast beef at the Huntsman was tasty and first-rate, probably more tender and not overcooked at much as sometimes occurs at Molly's.

In sum, for a special sometimes occasion where I really wanted everything to be on the table in the way of food choices, I could see the Huntsman buffet as quite a good value offering good food at a price that beats most of the other major hotel buffets. But at a per person total that's going to exceed $20 per adult (assuming any drinks are ordered), it's not inexpensive either.

But for my favorite Sunday buffet, the one I'd choose to return to on a recurring basis, it would remain Molly Malone's. They certainly don't offer all the things available at the Huntsman, but the roasts and other food choices they do offer are more than enough to make for a filling, satisfying Sunday meal. Throw in the wine, coffee/tea and desert for half the price of Huntsman, and it remains a hard deal to beat. Particularly if they do a bit better with their roast beef.

PS - I should note, the Huntsman does not adhere to a no-smoking policy indoors in the single-level pub. As I was eating, another guest came to sit at a table adjoining mine and lit up a cigarette. Later, one of the waitresses told me that they've designated the right-hand side of the pub (as you enter) for smoking and the left-hand side (across from the main central bar serving area) for non-smoking, though I didn't see any signs to indicate that.

Nice review, however the OP is requesting "THE BEST SUNDAY ROAST" with no mention of the best price, so even under your complete review to answer the OP would have to be the Landmark...

and a cup of tea or coffee or a glass of vinegar added to a meal, costs the restaurant about 10p extra so its hardly worth mentioning :-)

Edited by beekaykay

But for my favorite Sunday buffet, the one I'd choose to return to on a recurring basis, it would remain Molly Malone's.

Nice review, however the OP is requesting "THE BEST SUNDAY ROAST" with no mention of the best price, so even under your complete review to answer the OP would have to be the Landmark...

and a cup of tea or coffee or a glass of vinegar added to a meal, costs the restaurant about 10p extra so its hardly worth mentioning :-)

I read it that JFChandler prefered Molly's! and a glass of GOOD VINEGAR would cost more than 10p.

I read it that JFChandler prefered Molly's! and a glass of GOOD VINEGAR would cost more than 10p.

Yes, but he is basing that on price only....

If he had the choice he already stated that for special events he would prefer the Landmark, why? easy, because its far better food!!

Now if the OP had said "Best value for money Sunday roast" I may have to opt for MM or one of the other cheapo joints....

Stay on topic guys....

Edited by beekaykay

• 2 weeks later...

Toddled along to Molly Malones, Bangkok today(Sept 13) and I was about to have my Sunday Lunch and I saw the sign outside "Sunday lunch 399Bht +vat" about a 15% increase, so its now about 430 Bht.. shame they put prices up. I went there 6 weeks on the trot even though the plates were cold and some of the vegetables.

So I went and had another meal in a restaurant nearby.

PS They should update their website. Its still advertising at 349Bht

Edited by sunnymarky

As I said above, I enjoyed my Sunday roast at the Landmark. If anything, there was too much there for me to eat or try to eat.... And it's true, they definitely have more and more varied entree choices than Molly's.

However, if you want to look at it the way you talk about the BEST above, I'm sure the Landmark would not be the BEST or anywhere near it, but rather one of the river-front hotels or similar where the class of service and setting and food is markedly superior to the Landmark/Huntsman, and you probably pay between 1500 and 2000 baht per head -- if you really mean BEST without regard to price. For me, I choose not to want to spend 2000 baht for my routine Sunday lunch or dinner, as a general rule.

When I say BEST, I mean the place I choose to go because I enjoy it the most, and want to return. For me, Molly's offering hits the spot, and so I choose to return. MM's is my BEST -- at least...that I've found thus far.

The glass of wine and pot of tea may not be worth mentioning to you, but it must be worth mentioning to the Landmark/Huntsman folks. Because there, if you want those two things with your meal, the price on a Sunday afternoon is going to exceed an extra 200 baht for them to serve those to you, and closer to 300 baht if you're at the Huntsman during non-happy hours, i.e., about 200 baht per glass of wine and about 100 for hot tea or coffee.

That, and... Molly's serves you a nice sized POT of hot tea... not a cup... And their house wine is quite pleasant and nice... hardly anything that deserves to be called vinegar.

Toddled along to Molly Malones, Bangkok today(Sept 13) and I was about to have my Sunday Lunch and I saw the sign outside "Sunday lunch 399Bht +vat" about a 15% increase, so its now about 430 Bht.. shame they put prices up. I went there 6 weeks on the trot even though the plates were cold and some of the vegetables.

So I went and had another meal in a restaurant nearby.

PS They should update their website. Its still advertising at 349Bht

I cant see anything on there website about the Sunday Roast at all, maybe they took it down now. did you not go in and speak with the manager (the big fellow who carves the meat)? I heard he gives a lot to charities. and I bet you if you told him that it still said 349 baht on there website you would of got a buffet for free and he would of said sorry. to bad you ran off like that!

430 baht for all that food is a steal, you will still not find a better deal in Bangkok.

• 3 weeks later...

Just catching up on posting a bit... A couple of weeks back, I stopped by Molly Malone's for their Sunday roast buffet, which has always been one of my favorites.

It was my first visit since they had raised their Sunday buffet price for adults to 399 baht plus VAT (from what was 349 baht before), so I was anxious to see did the meal remain a good value and would it remain a personal favorite. As always, the food was good, the atmosphere pleasant and the staff no-hassle.

But I did discover one additional thing: in addition to the price increase, MM's at the same time also did delete one item from their serving -- what had been the one complimentary glass of red or white wine. Disappointed to see that deleted, but the meal continues to include a pot of hot coffee or tea, and your choice among several different deserts, including their very good apple crumble with cream.

I had been hoping I might find some rare, or at least pink, roast beef available. But upon looking, I found the roast beef on offer that day looked more well-done, and quite dry, compared to what I had even found in the past. I almost skipped it altogether in dismay, but decided to try some, and was quite surprised.

Indeed, the beef was very well cooked and quite dry. But this time, the Thai chef doing the carving cut me several very thin slices, which actually upon trying were quite good. Had they been carved in the usual slab type thickness, I think they would have been inedible and maybe un-cutable. But sliced wafer thin like that, it was almost like eating dried beef, which wasn't quite bad, much to my surprise.

The rest of the buffet offerings remained pretty much the same as before. So with the price increase and the loss of the complimentary wine, MM's Sunday roast buffet isn't quite as good of a value as it was before. But compared to the other similar offerings to be found elsewhere, it still remains quite a good meal and value.

post-53787-1254647229_thumb.jpg

still like the sunday roast at The Londoner myself - not cheap but never had a duff one - and as it's a buffet it will accomodate the hungriest appertites...

Biggest problem at The Londoner is the beer more than the food IMHO, which is limited unless you want to drink their 'home brews' which aren't to my taste - but this thread is about food and I like the tucker there...

CC

Indeed, the beef was very well cooked and quite dry. But this time, the Thai chef doing the carving cut me several very thin slices, which actually upon trying were quite good. Had they been carved in the usual slab type thickness, I think they would have been inedible and maybe un-cutable. But sliced wafer thin like that, it was almost like eating dried beef, which wasn't quite bad, much to my surprise.

A handy tip for all chefs:

Have you cooked something badly? Or maybe it just tastes like crap?

Don't reach for the bin,

Do not despair,

Slice it thin and hey presto! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My first Sunday Lunch in BKK today; my last one was in Pattaya at the Sportsman carvery about 3 months ago and that is going to take some beating!

After reading all of the advice here I opted for The Black Swan @ Asoke as I was interested in the atmosphere that everyone talked about and the quality of the food sounded like what I was looking for. We got there at 1.30pm; the pub is mjuch smaller than I imagined and reeked of old stale beer. There was only one guy sat alone eating the Sunday roast and a couple of other punters just having a drink so the atmosphere was not what I was looking for at all, and when I saw two other brits order a couple of Paninis or something we bailed and walked to the Huntsman at Landmark Hotel.

I love my Sunday Roasts and since it's been a while since I've had the chance to have one so I wasn't going to waste the opportunity at the Black Swan which, from what I saw, didn't look very good and had no atmosphere at the time we were there.

The food at the Huntsmans was great, I really enjoyed it. They had everything I wanted and much more besides the usual Sunday dinner items (all sorts of pies, sausages, salmon, curry even) all included in the buffet. The selection of desserts was also very very good and the truth is we probably had even more dessert than main course!

Yes it is relatively expensive at 650 Baht for the food alone, a 330ml bottle of Strongbow was 220 Baht at Happy Hour too, but I would rather pay much more for a great Sunday dinner than 400 Baht for a disappointing one. I could see myself payng the bill and walking out of the Black Swan when the food arrived like I did in Molly Malone's in Pattaya just to order another roast next door in the Pig and Whistle which I knew was good as we'd eaten there the Sunday before.

This may sound a bit over the top just for one meal but you only get one Sunday roast a week so you have to push the boat out and not settle for something mediocre just to save a couple of quid. I'm sure all of the other Brits will agree with me here.

BTW for those in Pattaya; I would rate the carvery at the Sportsmans pub in Pattaya above the Huntsman in just about every aspect; food quality (but not choice obviously), price, atmosphere. We may have a day trip to Pattaya so I can get lunch there next week!

Following the positive comments about the Hunstman at the Landmark hotel I too thought I would give it a try. Almost deserted when I sat down just after noon but two guys then arrived at a table to my immediate right and started smoking with ashtrays kindly provided. The guy on a table in front of me observing this then also lit up. Another table arrived and sure enough one of them also lit up. So this maybe a place with the most wonderful food but I will not be back. Amazed that in this standard of hotel they allow this sort of thing. If you enjoy your food in a smoke filled atmosphere then go ahead, the Huntsman is the pub for you.

Yes, I have previously reviewed the food, and the so-called smoking policy, of the Huntsman and their Sunday roast buffet here... The food there is pretty good and quite varied, for the price.

But their smoking policy, if you can call it that, is to say the right half of the pub/dining room as you walk in in is for smokers, and the left side (from the main center bar) supposedly is for non-smokers. Of course, there's nothing except air and a bit of space that divides the two areas. But at least, supposedly, if you sit on the correct side (for non-smoking), it would prevent smokers from sitting right next to you.

All of this, of course, is not in compliance with Bangkok's smoking law for air conditioned pubs.

Yes, I have previously reviewed the food, and the so-called smoking policy, of the Huntsman and their Sunday roast buffet here... The food there is pretty good and quite varied, for the price.

But their smoking policy, if you can call it that, is to say the right half of the pub/dining room as you walk in in is for smokers, and the left side (from the main center bar) supposedly is for non-smokers. Of course, there's nothing except air and a bit of space that divides the two areas. But at least, supposedly, if you sit on the correct side (for non-smoking), it would prevent smokers from sitting right next to you.

All of this, of course, is not in compliance with Bangkok's smoking law for air conditioned pubs.

It was not something I was informed of when I arrived. Had I been told that then I would have turned around and left. I was offered a table on the right hand side and at that stage no smokers were in evidence.

Same exact thing happened to me when I went for their buffet the first time at the Huntsman a month or two back...

Wasnt aware of their smoking set-up, was shown to a table on the right, got thru most of my meal before smokers descended nearby...

Since that day the pub at that time was also nearly empty, I got up and just moved to another empty table a ways away from the smokers, and politely asked a waitress about their policy on smoking, which she explained to me.

Next time, if I go back, I'll sit on the left and see if they really enforce their supposed policy.

Same exact thing happened to me when I went for their buffet the first time at the Huntsman a month or two back...

Wasnt aware of their smoking set-up, was shown to a table on the right, got thru most of my meal before smokers descended nearby...

Since that day the pub at that time was also nearly empty, I got up and just moved to another empty table a ways away from the smokers, and politely asked a waitress about their policy on smoking, which she explained to me.

Next time, if I go back, I'll sit on the left and see if they really enforce their supposed policy.

As a smoker who has fallen foul of their rules I can confirm they are quite strict on the smoking areas.

Fair enough really.

Edited by smokie36

As a smoker who has fallen foul of their rules I can confirm they are quite strict on the smoking areas.

Fair enough really.

I would have thought that it would have been nice of this hotel management if they told people before they entered their restaurant that smoking was allowed and in addition the table that you are going to be given is in the smoking area. I have written to complain to the Landmark but given the fact that they do not I am not surprised that they have chosen not to reply.