Can You Cool A Room/attic With A Small Fan Or Turbine?

ronswelters2

A friend of mine. an architect, installed a small fan in her bedroom hoping to cool it down at the end of the day. She was not satisfied with the result and wondered whether one of those wind turbines would be better (and greener).

The quick answer is in the photo:

post-47900-1249801449_thumb.png

Man, that's some bunch of turbines.

I looked into this and my answer is a qualified "no". If you are interested in the details you can check out the latest in my blog.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...id=594&st=0

Show your architect friend some high school maths of my neighbour's son:

Cooling = Cooler air in - Hotter air out

Air in room before cooling = 31C

Air outside house = 35C

Take out 31C air in room with big big fan.

Let in 35C outside air.

WOW = I feel cold now...!

Air outside house = 35C

Let in 35C outside air.

Right for your assumptions. But she doesn't advocate air conditioning her place all day (when she is not there) so her need is to cool a space that is up to about 40 degrees at the end of the day with outside air that is about 29 deg.

See, throw off the chains of aircon and the world will look completely different!

Ron

Air outside house = 35C

Let in 35C outside air.

Right for your assumptions. But she doesn't advocate air conditioning her place all day (when she is not there) so her need is to cool a space that is up to about 40 degrees at the end of the day with outside air that is about 29 deg.

See, throw off the chains of aircon and the world will look completely different!

Ron

As far as I know, exhaust fans do not work well with opened windows, no matter how big the fan is.

All that is needed is to leave the door and windows opened for 30 mins for natural ventilation to do the work. No greener method than this.

Air outside house = 35C

Let in 35C outside air.

Ron

As far as I know, exhaust fans do not work well with opened windows, no matter how big the fan is.

All that is needed is to leave the door and windows opened for 30 mins for natural ventilation to do the work. No greener method than this.

Green and ineffectual.

The heat retained in a house is almost all in the materials, not the air, and it takes one to several hours to cool materials. Opening doors and windows or turning on fans will cool the air temporarily but if you close again as most Thai prefer the space will soon reheat. The trick is to keep the place from heating in the first place, more on this later.