Ping And Troy - A Love Scam

Nevo

Living here over the years, like many, I have often heard tales about this scam and that scam. I've never actually had chance to observe one in the making. Until now. I write this now for your amusement, astonishment as a warning or whatever you wish to make of it. All this is factual and observed from the sidelines with absolutely no involvement from myself.

I don't even know the peoples real names. So let's say she is Thai and called Ping, he is Australian and called Troy, her Thai husband / brother is called Chan (yes he gets involved) , her sister who sells sausages off a cart is called Mimi.

Ping moved in with her sister Mimi about six months ago. Chan, Ping's husband seemed to be always around. No job as far as I'm aware. They all live in a room in a mansion block right next to my house. Their room is very near my front gate – so any goings on get noticed by either my neighbour or my partner and reported in full detail to an originally uninterested me.

Ping and Chan spent most of their days from me leaving for work at about 6.30 am – until I drew my bedroom curtains at about 10 pm sat outside drinking Lao Khao and smoking Krontip chain style and scoffing free sausages courtesy of Mimi (really nice woman but part dwarf) and gambling on the football.

One evening, around 6 pm, an almighty fight broke out between Chan and Ping- knives came out and some minor blade injuries were inflicted. Chan stormed off shouting Kwai, Kwai (buffalo, buffalo). Quite observant of him really as she must be nearly 40 and does have bovine features.

What happened I asked my neighbour? Well apparantly Ping's husband is coming from Australia and Chan has to move out for two weeks. A farang husband I ask, I thought old dodgy hair Chan was her husband! They both married her baan nok (village) style so it wasn't bigamy I was reassured.

Next some Australian Embassy paperwork is thrust in my face as I am putting a black bag in the bin next to my gate. “You help me do this” said Ping. “So sorry, I can't because I have an urgent project that needs 100% of my time” I said fingers crossed behind my back. She got the old Chinese man to help her on the corner for 500 bahts. His English is great. He mends TV's.

Her plan was to get everything ready to go to the Embassy with Troy, the minute he arrived. She said she'd asked him for 100,000 bahts to pay the agency fee (WHAT???)

Troy arrives. A bit dim looking. We didn't have eye contact fortunately. Next day I popped to 7/11 for some beer and on the way back, nearing my gate, I overhear Ping ask Troy for 2000 bahts to give to her brother (Chan) who was sat on his Honda Wave about 10 metres further down the Soi. “What for” said Troy – exactly I thought to myself. “He wife is very sick and needs to eat tablets” said Ping convincingly – out came Troy's wallet.

To be continued...(If you're interested enough!)..................

I promise it's a true story. I just have to add my own observations so sorry about all the cliches!

Next..........

The Visa was refused by the Australian Embassy so apparantly no refund of the 100,000 bahts can be given. Surprise, surprise. Ping would not pay the Chinese man his 500 bahts for helping with the application because it was his fault it failed in her eyes. He shouldn't have put that Ping and Troy met in a bar in Pattaya on Walking Street. After all, she's a good girl and popped in for a Pepsi on her way to the temple. We could assume.

A day later I popped in to our Ma and Pa shop, two doors from Ping's room. A friend of hers had come to stay from Jomtiem, “Sexy” is all I can call her because she had it embroided on the back of her shorts. She was ironing Ping's hair on a towel on top of one of those concrete/ marble style chess tables that are popular here. Ping obviously wanted her hair to be very straight for a night out with Troy., I assumed. As I ambled past I heard the words “Farang khi nok” ( Foreigner is bird shit).

Of course I thought it was directed at me. “not this farang, thank you” I said in an aggressive way. “No, not you” she said “My husband”. “ Oh Ok, whatever” I said.

That night I was woken in the early hours by a loud commotion. Chan was shouting “bandstand, you pen bandstand” I was a bit woozy but I;m pretty sure he meant “bastard”. I peaked through the curtains like a Liverpool granny to see Ping (in a Doeremon neglige) and Troy (in his blue kecks) on the floor fighting. It all calmed down with Troy being led by the arm into the room to be told that Chan was very upset because his beloved wife had died of Malaria. He had given him 2,000 bahts but he needed 15,000 and she was “very,very scare to aks”. He now needed 30,000 to give her a family funeral so as not to lose face in the village. My neighbour asuured me the wallet had been opened the next morning. As many of us know, you could almost buy a small Issan village for that amount. Or at least rent it for 30 years. Chan had lost at cards again.

TBC....................................

Hello, many of the long distance relationships do not end well when the truth comes out. I hope no one was killed, and let it be a lesson for all that read about this as it does not have to be a true story in whole. Scams are rampant in the LOS, and it is difficult for the person being taken advantage of to acknowledge they were deceived. Cheers.

I promise it's a true story. I just have to add my own observations so sorry about all the cliches!

Next..........

The Visa was refused by the Australian Embassy so apparantly no refund of the 100,000 bahts can be given. Surprise, surprise. Ping would not pay the Chinese man his 500 bahts for helping with the application because it was his fault it failed in her eyes. He shouldn't have put that Ping and Troy met in a bar in Pattaya on Walking Street. After all, she's a good girl and popped in for a Pepsi on her way to the temple. We could assume.

A day later I popped in to our Ma and Pa shop, two doors from Ping's room. A friend of hers had come to stay from Jomtiem, “Sexy” is all I can call her because she had it embroided on the back of her shorts. She was ironing Ping's hair on a towel on top of one of those concrete/ marble style chess tables that are popular here. Ping obviously wanted her hair to be very straight for a night out with Troy., I assumed. As I ambled past I heard the words “Farang khi nok” ( Foreigner is bird shit).

Of course I thought it was directed at me. “not this farang, thank you” I said in an aggressive way. “No, not you” she said “My husband”. “ Oh Ok, whatever” I said.

That night I was woken in the early hours by a loud commotion. Chan was shouting “bandstand, you pen bandstand” I was a bit woozy but I;m pretty sure he meant “bastard”. I peaked through the curtains like a Liverpool granny to see Ping (in a Doeremon neglige) and Troy (in his blue kecks) on the floor fighting. It all calmed down with Troy being led by the arm into the room to be told that Chan was very upset because his beloved wife had died of Malaria. He had given him 2,000 bahts but he needed 15,000 and she was “very,very scare to aks”. He now needed 30,000 to give her a family funeral so as not to lose face in the village. My neighbour asuured me the wallet had been opened the next morning. As many of us know, you could almost buy a small Issan village for that amount. Or at least rent it for 30 years. Chan had lost at cards again.

TBC....................................

I presume the Australian and the Thai lady went to the embassy together. Why didn't he review the documents before they were submitted to the embassy staff? Anone with any sense would review the particulars of how they met and other pertinent information, with their intended spouse. You're a great story writer though.

Yes he was. I know the difference between Kwai and Kuay!

I have to write al la novellete coz I can't do it any other way.

Sex, ladyboys et al are a coming...................................

So come on then...... :)

entertaining as it is

(or knowledgeable to some?)

as for now, unless proven to be true facts and is of discussion interest to members (rather than the anticipation for instalment of your local Thai TV soap opera), it is moved to the Pub and entertainment section

entertaining as it is

(or knowledgeable to some?)

as for now, unless proven to be true facts and is of discussion interest to members (rather than the anticipation for instalment of your local Thai TV soap opera), it is moved to the Pub and entertainment section

Spoilsport. :)

:)

this is the best thread I have read since Grumpy Old Man?

this should be made into a movie :D

keep it coming.

Grumpy Old Men? Where is that thread? My interest is piqued since you say it was so good.

Oh it's a classic - although ran and ran. Search for GOM. I think the OP is carlbkk.

:)

this is the best thread I have read since Grumpy Old Man?

this should be made into a movie :D

keep it coming.

Grumpy Old Men? Where is that thread? My interest is piqued since you say it was so good.

Grumpy Old Man - Is that the thread about the guy in the Oriental Coffee shop at the Emporium Shopping mall in Bangkok?. He always wanted his seat and if someone was in 'his' place he'd throw a wobbly !

By the way - Great thread and enjoyable to read, next installment please ?????

And the final part................

So I'm afraid a lost interest for a few days. Lots of drinking and laughter. Mimi sheeted over her sausage cart and parked it up to join in the fun. No sign of Chan. No sign of any funeral mourners. No sign of any Ladyboys I'm sorry to say.

Troy went back to Australia after tearful farewells. Then the fun really started.........

It was one non stop, Mor Lam music blaring party free for all – 24 hours. Ping had let it be known that she had 60,000 baht to spend – and did she start spending it.Card games, Black label, a constant stream of motorbike taxi blokes mulling around, spitting and fighting. No one in the street got any sleep for a week. Chan was in his element. Ping was the centre of everyones attention.

After a week the noise died down. It was now half bottles of Sang Som being shared by Ping, Chan and Mimi.The money had run out.

So what would you expect next?

Well Ping pulled out her trump card. Even Mimi was ashamed of this one. She has told Troy she's pregnant. If he doesn't send her 50,000 for urgent medical care she will kill herself. Last egg in her box I should think . Another big party beckons. …................................That's all so far.

It might read like a story because that is how I have retold it. I can assure you all it's the truth.

These people a SO clever. SO brazen about it that the most vulnerable people are caught completely off guard. They openly dissed and laughed at him in Thai in front of his face. Just because he couldn't understand the language. We wouldn't allow a dog to be treated like that.

I knew it was pointless, even dangerous, for me to intervene. I still feel guilty though. What would you have done?

I could say next time you are asked for money, try saying no and see what happens. I don't think anyone reading this will think it applies to them. It does. Not everyone. But most conducting a long distance relationship with an ordinary Thai woman/ man / ladyboy that they met in a bar. But what do I know?

• 2 months later...