Which Is The Fastest? Should I Upgrade?

Detox

Total newbie question... Sorry in advance for being a dumb a**. :D

I am currently on a Air Card out here in the sticks.. Its an Sierra Wireless Aircard 875U

I dont really have that many complaints about it. Its quite fast, although nothing like my 5mb connection I used to have in Bangkok... :)

But.... It has been good enough to surf the net and watch the odd video after a few minutes of waiting to load etc..... I guess what Im saying is its been good and from where I sit @ 1100 baht a month for unlimited connection, I have been happy.

Now...... Im told about a CDMA card? Is this worth upgrading to? Is it much faster? Is it cheaper monthly? - what are the benefits of me upgrading ?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Edited by Detox

I'm assuming you're using the sierra wireless connection manager on Windows. Check for an oval that has an "Edge" in it. That tells you whether or not you're on EDGE or GPRS. Or at least it used when I used the AC775.

The services offered by CAT are far and above what is offered over EDGE. Fastest I've seen EDGE was lik 28 KB/s...and that wasn't sustained. EV-DO (an enhanced version of CDMA which CAT offers--Hutch only offers vanilla CDMA which is the speed of EDGE) usually gets greater than 100 KB/s...or approximately 4x as fast as EDGE. It does seem that a lot of people have problems with the MC727 modem and the current recommendation is to get the EC226.

I'm assuming you're using the sierra wireless connection manager on Windows. Check for an oval that has an "Edge" in it. That tells you whether or not you're on EDGE or GPRS. Or at least it used when I used the AC775.

I didnt see any oval.. All I see is: AIS GSM & 3.6 mbps

The services offered by CAT are far and above what is offered over EDGE. Fastest I've seen EDGE was lik 28 KB/s...and that wasn't sustained. EV-DO (an enhanced version of CDMA which CAT offers--Hutch only offers vanilla CDMA which is the speed of EDGE) usually gets greater than 100 KB/s...or approximately 4x as fast as EDGE. It does seem that a lot of people have problems with the MC727 modem and the current recommendation is to get the EC226.

So what would your recommendation be? Appreciate your help. :)

Edited by Detox

The latest CDMA USB 'stick' will outperform ANY GPRS card. I think currently it's around 4MB/s for approx' 700 Baht/month

So its also a plug and play device like the air card? What brand is it ?

thanks for help. :)

If it is showing 3,6 mbps your connected to HSDPA (or rather it thinks you are). If you are in Bangkok, which AFAIK is the only place you can get HSDPA, you can not get EV-DO but only Hutch's CDMA. IF you are connecting with HSDPA you can't get any faster WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network) connection in LOS.

BTW, the USB is plug and play, you'll end up installing the drivers, but that's it. Also the one I recommended works well in Linux....

Edited by dave_boo

Im in the middle of the jungle really in the deep south... 50 people in a 50 mile radius..... dirt roads and no one has a phone connection and some dont even have electricity connected...

in other words...... bliss.

I will drive into the city next week and check the CDMA out.

Thanks so far to all responses.. :)