Gps App For Iphone

bkkmick

Over the weekend I used the GPS maps application to find my way back to a remote hotel outside of Rayong.

The system showed the hotel bookmark ok but the directions that you had to click to follow weren't great.

I was wondering if anyone has used a iPhone GPS app that speaks the directions as you drive along?

Cheers

Mick

I totally agree with Bangla and Bkkmick, the Sygic App is as good as a Tom Tom and better than say Garmin (imho).

I bought the SE asian version but it might be better to buy the Thai only version which I guess you can get from the Thai App store.

There is a very good App called GPS Motion which is basically for sailing or perhaps cycling. It costs practically nothing.

Ohmygolf is a great golf course GPS App with around 80 Thai courses. Distances to any place on a hole as well as to the green.

I quite like 'get2me' because you can MMS a map to your location.

I downloaded Sygic a couple weeks ago, works great on a jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 :) I'm specially amazed by the number of POI (point of interest), Condos, bars, massage etc... For now i used it mostly in Bkk for testing, but went down to Jantaburi this weekend and it was pretty acurate all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there somewhere inbangkok to buy car dash mounts for the iphone when using the gps? Preferably one you can use as a charger at the same time. Also, can you make/recieve calls whilst using the GPS?

I'm thinking of buying the Sygic map and giving my Garmin to my husband.

I downloaded Sygic a couple weeks ago, works great on a jailbroken 3GS running 3.0.1 :) I'm specially amazed by the number of POI (point of interest), Condos, bars, massage etc... For now i used it mostly in Bkk for testing, but went down to Jantaburi this weekend and it was pretty acurate all the way.

Is there somewhere inbangkok to buy car dash mounts for the iphone when using the gps? Preferably one you can use as a charger at the same time. Also, can you make/recieve calls whilst using the GPS?

I'm thinking of buying the Sygic map and giving my Garmin to my husband.

You can certainly receive calls. I suspect you can make them too.

The Sygic is not perfect. A number of the POIs are wrongly named. It also has a rather annoying habit of trying to send you miles (rather than U turn) when you go off course.

I want a car dash mount too. I bet they have them on the 4th floor of MBk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to use your iPhone for sport activities like cycling or running, take a look at Sportypal

It can map your ride very easy and provide you with all the necessary data about speed, pace, distance, calories ..

And the best of all it's free.

Google just released Navi software for Android, I think - free of charge! That's basically Google Maps, with the added feature of being able to guide you by reading directions, same as any Navi software (but minus the POIs, I guess). Again - this is free. Pretty amazing.

I'd be surprised if it didn't make its way into the app store soon...

touch, I use sygic on my iphone 3g as well. In case you're not aware there has to be clear access to the sky to connect to the satellites so I have mine on a holder stuck on the front windscreen. No problems. Sorry if you knew that already, just thought I'd point it out.

touch, I use sygic on my iphone 3g as well. In case you're not aware there has to be clear access to the sky to connect to the satellites so I have mine on a holder stuck on the front windscreen. No problems. Sorry if you knew that already, just thought I'd point it out.

Thanks Mick,

I think it might be because of high metallic content in my "sun film". I use V-Kool, 'cause it stops the most heat while still being clear.

My Nokia e71 works fine though.

//t

i don't have an iphone but i know that sygic has an app for it and it has a map for thailand.

http://www.sygic.com/

i'm using it on my N82 and it's really good.

@bangla

As you already had the Nokia Maps on your mobile, was it really worth spending some extra on the sygic?

sorry for the late reply :)

yes it is.

i used to use tomtom but they stopped making it for symbian phones so i switch to sygic and never looked back.

nokia maps always seems to be lagging behind a bit.

if i quickly want to lookup an address, i use the google maps app. it's much faster.