Visa For Japan

I live and work in Tokyo as a local employee in Japan, with a large multinational. Have all insurances, salary, papers, whatever. 100% legal.

Back in November 2003 we collected all that JP Visa Department listed as necessary documents.

By then, my de-facto Thai wife was in an advanced stage of pregnancy and could not travel.

The baby girl was born in BKK, we have her birth certificates in both Thai and English, stating the parents' names, issued by the Samitivej hospital.

I have JP national health insurance and World-wide health insurance for all of us. The wife has a letter from her Uni stating that she's been a student there for 2 years+ and "of a good character".

No money in the bank, she uses my account (ATM cards, Visa CC) to support herself and the baby, bank records in hard copy.

We are not married.

The trick is - I am still officially married in Australia. When I got my JP working visa, I declared my marital status as "separated". Haven't been to Oz since August 2003.

My question is:

Should I proceed with the de-facto wife's visa apllication on our own or should I use a visa agency? There is one at the ground floor of JP Ambassy in BKK.

Visa agency or not?

Just a thought, but would your company's legal department be able to sort it for you?

Scouse.

I should get that TGA agency that my company uses for all visa approvals. Tokyo based.

I asked them about my family, long ago, they said - corporate only.

Well, I am that and my wife and my child are part of it.

Will try on Monday. Whatever happens, I'll post about it.

Thank you guys for listening to me and giving advice.

TTM,

Are you trying to bring the wife and kid back to Japan to live with you or just a visit?

Havng taken a Thai wife to live with me in several countries, I would highly recomend it. It can really cement the realtionship.

Good luck, let us know how it goes...

TH