Help With Unwanted Guests

JXXXL

Does anyone know of a home brewed dog repellent? We've got a frequent visitor who comes into our yard and pisses on everything. My dogs, both males, who are buddies with this particular dog, then have to piss over his piss and there is piss everywhere.

I don't want to hurt the little guy, but i was hoping I could concoct something that is really nasty smelling to dogs and spray him when he comes into the yard.

newbie001

you mean like this .

this is the lost hut bar in soi 1 moonmuang road and theyve been puting these bottles out most nights for weeks

i thought it was probably something to do with keeping thai spirits away not dogs .

but you may be right

enjoy pic

dave2

Does anyone know of a home brewed dog repellent? We've got a frequent visitor who comes into our yard and pisses on everything. My dogs, both males, who are buddies with this particular dog, then have to piss over his piss and there is piss everywhere.

I don't want to hurt the little guy, but i was hoping I could concoct something that is really nasty smelling to dogs and spray him when he comes into the yard.

Try putting up a gate and fence or wall.

Keep your dogs in and other dogs out.

Any responsible dog owner would never permit their dogs to run around outside their property, in which they cause nuisance to other people, the same way as the dog you are complaining about, may become injured from fights with other dogs or run over by vehicles.

Any responsible dog owner would never permit their dogs to run around outside their property, in which they cause nuisance to other people, the same way as the dog you are complaining about, may become injured from fights with other dogs or run over by vehicles.

or they might fall over one of those plastic bottles

Pee around and sprinkle red and black pepper,

Good reply. A farmer friend of mine told me some 20 years ago that the best repellant for dogs and cats around your own property is your own Pee. Subsequently; I have used this method after dark whenever I have had this problem over the years,even though it is now officially an offence to urinate in public in the UK! To hel_l with the law...it works!

Thanks all for the helpful info. I see those bottles around the neighborhood, I never knew what they hel_l the purpose was.

Try putting up a gate and fence or wall.

Keep your dogs in and other dogs out.

I have a fence around my house to keep my dogs in thank you. The problem is, the offending dog is like a ferret with slightly longer legs and can get through, over or under our fence no matter what kind of measures I take. :)

I'll try giving him a golden shower and see how that works.

i was hoping I could concoct something that is really nasty smelling to dogs and spray him when he comes into the yard.

JXXXL -

Two suggestions -- both of which I have used in similar situations:

If you want to spray the visiting dog yourself, an easy solution is any insect repellent in the large spray can.

Something like ant & termite spray.

Get the can with the long sprayer -- a plastic straw: it will spray out 2-4 meters in a thin stream which you can aim carefully.

Aim for his nose.

F-1900-large.jpg

For those bottles of water, add about 1/2 cup of ammonia to each bottle; common cleaning solution ammonia.

We used to put trash out at night in plastic bags, but come to find in the morning that the bags were torn open to provide a buffet supper for the neighborhood dogs.

A big mess to clean up!

I put an end to that by thoroughly spraying each bag with ammonia -- using an ordinary household sprayer.

You can also spray nearby trees, bushes, fire hydrants, etc, to keep the dogs away.

(Of course, in the rainy season, you'll need to do that often.)

If ammonia is difficult to find, laundry bleach might work just as well, but I haven't tried that.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

i was hoping I could concoct something that is really nasty smelling to dogs and spray him when he comes into the yard.

JXXXL -

Two suggestions -- both of which I have used in similar situations:

If you want to spray the visiting dog yourself, an easy solution is any insect repellent in the large spray can.

Something like ant & termite spray.

Get the can with the long sprayer -- a plastic straw: it will spray out 2-4 meters in a thin stream which you can aim carefully.

Aim for his nose.

F-1900-large.jpg

For those bottles of water, add about 1/2 cup of ammonia to each bottle; common cleaning solution ammonia.

We used to put trash out at night in plastic bags, but come to find in the morning that the bags were torn open to provide a buffet supper for the neighborhood dogs.

A big mess to clean up!

I put an end to that by thoroughly spraying each bag with ammonia -- using an ordinary household sprayer.

You can also spray nearby trees, bushes, fire hydrants, etc, to keep the dogs away.

(Of course, in the rainy season, you'll need to do that often.)

If ammonia is difficult to find, laundry bleach might work just as well, but I haven't tried that.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

This is hard to believe, suggesting that the OP should spray a dog with insecticide directly in the face, which is extreme animal cruelty and others that think pissing all over the place is a good idea, plus spraying ammonia and bleach within that enviroment. What would happen if children were to come in contact with these chemicals and suffered serious acid burns or ill affects?

Are you guys for real?

And as for the OPs fence, than have it repaired, reinforced or replaced.

Edited by sassienie

What would happen if children were to come in contact with these chemicals and suffered serious acid burns or ill affects?

You get acid burns from acid, not from an alkali :) and you will not get serious burns from household ammonia. Children are exposed to worse hazards every day. Please check facts before posting.

I certainly do not advocate spraying insecticide on anything other than noxious insects which it is designed, especially dogs.

have the ideal solution, get a bag of tiger shit from the zoo, mix with water, spread where necessary and you will NO unwanted visitors at all, including some of the freaks on here.

The bottle of water thing has me laughing. I wonder what goes through the dogs mind? "Hmm..I wanna mark some territory..." *walk* *walk* *walk* "OH NOES! Foiled! The dreaded water bottles are out!". Water bottles = kryptonite for dogs? :)

... snip ... get a bag of tiger sh*t from the zoo, mix with water, spread where necessary and you will NO unwanted visitors at all, including some of the freaks on here.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Doppa,

I can tell the morphine is wearing off.

Do you know how much they are charging per kilo for tiger dung ? Last I heard the Panda poop was booked years in advance; some kind of lottery system, like the one for certain license-plates.

I really like Chiang Mai's zoo; of course I have to be careful not to go near the Orangutan area : it breaks my heart to see them crying when they see what I have become.

best, ~o:37;

A local remedy is to put plastic bottles filled with water around the walls. Supposedly the dogs don't pee on them. However it is kind of unsightly seeing plastic bottles surrounding someones fence.

And for my money they don't make a scrap of difference.

Anyway how the f*** is a dog gonna get up on top of a wall to take a piss. Maybe OK if you've got a cat problem.

Indeed they (the bottles) look a c**king eyesore in themselves.

newbie001

you mean like this .

this is the lost hut bar in soi 1 moonmuang road and theyve been puting these bottles out most nights for weeks

i thought it was probably something to do with keeping thai spirits away not dogs .

but you may be right

enjoy pic

dave2

The water bottles work flawlessly at the Lost Hut. We forgot to put them out once on the little side entrance of the patio and we were welcomed by 3 seperate "gifts" on the patio. We have a female dog and all the soi dogs seem to have the hots for her. Thats my best guess as the problem with dogs leaving us these gifts on the patio got a lot worse and regular after we got her. I have no idea why they work but they do, perfectly! BTW, thats funny that somebody had the picture of our water bottles out!

Oh ya, apparently crushed chillis on the ground will teach them real quick and they won't come back after the first sniff. But that probably wouldn't be good as you don't want you dogs getting it too. But maybe you could make a border of chillis to keep your dogs in and the others out? I don't have any experience with the chillis but I can say that the water bottles work.

Edited by blakegeee