My Tiger Airways Booking Experience

chiang mai

Just a few of my experiences today in booking a trip:

I'm off to Singapore on Wednesday for a few days and decided to book flights and hotel through Tiger Airways via the internet. The flight booking went smoothly although I was surprised to see how quickly the low cost of a seat became quite a high cost as taxes and other items were added to the cost. A flight cost of 800 Baht for a one way ticket jumped by 2,500 as taxes, surcharges, luggage allowance, the cost of a specific seat and a convenience charge for using a credit card (!) were added to the bill. Never mind, it was still a good deal.

So since I'd done half the job and got the flights booked I thought I would continue and book myself a hotel. A quick search and I found the Copthorne for 110 SGD, thought that a great deal so I booked it, paid for it and got my confirmation. Imagine my surprise when I woke this morning and found an email from Tiger saying that my hotel booking had been canceled but with no further explanation other than to say the full charge would be refunded to the credit card within five days.

Anxious to get a confirmed hotel for my trip I called the Tiger Airways call center in Bangkok and got a recorded message that just looped. Next was a to try the Singapore call center where the IVR went in circles and never allowed an opportunity to make a selection or speak to a person. As I read over the terms and conditions of my booking I saw that the hotel component of the Tiger airways site is actually owned by Travelocity (as I recall) and asked customers with difficulties to call a number in the US. The very nice Mexican man who answered the phone in the US was quite helpful and explained that the address for my credit card didn't match their records so he asked me to repeat it - I did so and he said, that's correct (always reassuring to know that I do know where I live).

But the cancellation had already taken effect and I would need to speak with their revenue protection department if I wanted more information or indeed to make another booking since my card had now been flagged. Revenue Protection was staffed by a very strict Eastern European lady who could not find any details of the transaction and proceeded to lecture me at length about the importance of entering a billing address correctly. When I pointed out that I had done so she suggested I make my next reservation directly with the hotel - I pointed out that if I did so her company would be losing revenue and if everyone did so she would be out of a job - clearly I was not going to get through to this charmer.

I finally re made the booking via the Tiger/Travelocity site making sure to enter all the information correctly but noted the hotel rate had increased by around 15%. Two hours later my bank in Hong Kong called and said they had received a query from a US bank regarding a second transaction on a card they believed to be stolen and asked if I wanted the payment to go through - yes I replied.

Increased room costs, several calls to the US, frustrating calls to Thai and Singapore call centers, I'm not sure the whole thing was worth the effort and next time will be far more likely to go see my travel agent where I can deal on a face to face basis. Regardless of all of the above, I'm looking forward to my trip.

Just a few of my experiences today in booking a trip:

I'm off to Singapore on Wednesday for a few days and decided to book flights and hotel through Tiger Airways via the internet. The flight booking went smoothly although I was surprised to see how quickly the low cost of a seat became quite a high cost as taxes and other items were added to the cost. A flight cost of 800 Baht for a one way ticket jumped by 2,500 as taxes, surcharges, luggage allowance, the cost of a specific seat and a convenience charge for using a credit card (!) were added to the bill. Never mind, it was still a good deal.

So since I'd done half the job and got the flights booked I thought I would continue and book myself a hotel. A quick search and I found the Copthorne for 110 SGD, thought that a great deal so I booked it, paid for it and got my confirmation. Imagine my surprise when I woke this morning and found an email from Tiger saying that my hotel booking had been canceled but with no further explanation other than to say the full charge would be refunded to the credit card within five days.

Anxious to get a confirmed hotel for my trip I called the Tiger Airways call center in Bangkok and got a recorded message that just looped. Next was a to try the Singapore call center where the IVR went in circles and never allowed an opportunity to make a selection or speak to a person. As I read over the terms and conditions of my booking I saw that the hotel component of the Tiger airways site is actually owned by Travelocity (as I recall) and asked customers with difficulties to call a number in the US. The very nice Mexican man who answered the phone in the US was quite helpful and explained that the address for my credit card didn't match their records so he asked me to repeat it - I did so and he said, that's correct (always reassuring to know that I do know where I live).

But the cancellation had already taken effect and I would need to speak with their revenue protection department if I wanted more information or indeed to make another booking since my card had now been flagged. Revenue Protection was staffed by a very strict Eastern European lady who could not find any details of the transaction and proceeded to lecture me at length about the importance of entering a billing address correctly. When I pointed out that I had done so she suggested I make my next reservation directly with the hotel - I pointed out that if I did so her company would be losing revenue and if everyone did so she would be out of a job - clearly I was not going to get through to this charmer.

I finally re made the booking via the Tiger/Travelocity site making sure to enter all the information correctly but noted the hotel rate had increased by around 15%. Two hours later my bank in Hong Kong called and said they had received a query from a US bank regarding a second transaction on a card they believed to be stolen and asked if I wanted the payment to go through - yes I replied.

Increased room costs, several calls to the US, frustrating calls to Thai and Singapore call centers, I'm not sure the whole thing was worth the effort and next time will be far more likely to go see my travel agent where I can deal on a face to face basis. Regardless of all of the above, I'm looking forward to my trip.

:) although my destination was different and my card was an american espress card, i was sent round the loop through different countries and was made to hold on to the phone for it to be put through to several people in several countries . guess who paid for all these supposedly phone bills at the end of of the day. the phone calls were supposedly to be toll free and the airline was not even a budget airline.

:D lesson here? save the hassle and book direct through a travel agent and pay direct .

:D the credit cards? drop/cancel them . the airline? stop flying with them. period.

:D source of the problem? insouciant on-line staff - usually from out-sourced service centres - and cost cutting airline operators.

:D the final outcome for both passengers and on-line booking centres and airlines? well, some have gone bust whilst others are struggling to keep afloat.

:D conclusion : more of these on-line booking centres and airlines will go bust - no matter how convenient or cheap they claim on-line booking may be. the hotels are no different , especially at some popular destinations.

On the 21st January, I booked a flight from Singapore to Bangkok in June. Once the flight was booked, I sought and paid for accommodation on either end of the journey, at both Singapore and Bangkok. Over a 2 month period after booking the flight, I received numerous emails from Tiger Airways informing me of operational issues and the need make changes from my original details. The flight went from departing Singapore at 4.30pm to 6pm and then to 6.30pm. It wasn't until I received an email advising me my flight has been changed once again, but this time the change has been from Saturday 13th June, to Sunday 14th June. This change would have affected me greatly, as I would have had to make accommodation changes involving a cost of nearly $1000.00. I telephoned the Melbourne phone number, and spent 45 minutes trying to convey why the change had affected me, and how I needed to fly to Bangkok on the date originally booked. They ended up changing my flight from the Sunday back to the Saturday, but departing at 8am. Oh well, early but at least I didn't have to forgo a nights accomodation.

I then received an email advising me a mistake has been made, and my booking will revert back to what I had originally requested. I telephoned the Melbourne number, and I was advised that a change was not possible, as I had already had a change (free of charge) and the 6.05pm flight from Singapore to Bangkok is full.

After writing a letter, I was finally put back onto the original flight at 6pm. Just so happened the flight did not leave till 8pm as it was delayed due to mechanical problems.

I have to add 1 thing. Although I had terrible problems, I must say the staff were terrific. So good, that I may fly with them again.

My 2 cents!

Edited by mcyachty

In Australia, this "TIGER" mob is a very bad bet.

I'm very surprised they have some form of connection to Singapore Airlines.

Complaints left, right and centre about all aspects of the airline.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

You want cheap flights and rooms?Expect cheap service,you get what you pay for. :):D:D:D

I would think that the vast majority on this forum would know quite well and understand what the 'difference' is with flying on a budget airline.

They have been up & running now for several years and those of us using them know what to expect with the 'Bare-Bones' actual facilities offered.

What is unforgiveable though, is tardiness in the administration and 'running' of the concern.

To make any system work AND be efficient, no compromise should happen in the operation of the business. It's a fact that if they try to operate the actual system in a CHEAP manner, they will end up losing money hand over fist.

What's mainly discussed on this forum in relation to the 'cheapies' is not what happens after you check-in and march toward the boarding gate, it's what happens leading up to that event.

So don't think you are "always right", there are too many members of ThaiVisa who have a perfect and legitimate right to post in the way they do about concerns which are often discussed here in a friendly and cooperative manner.

This IS the travel section, incase you did not notice!

You want cheap flights and rooms?Expect cheap service,you get what you pay for. :):D:D:D

:D ....claiming to be always right is to claim to be always right in the wrong way,,,,,,,think about it...it's an attitude problem which unless resolved immediately will turn into a pathological problem :D take note like it has mentioned here by someone else that this is forum on travel issues. as far as tiger airways association with singapore airlines is concerned take note the latter airlines' many airplanes are all sitting her changi's air[ort tarmacs. the same will soon be with tiger airways whose on-board service is pathetic no matter how hard they try to provide them....... :D

Actually, there is a quite large airport near to MEL Australia's main Tullamarine.

It's called AVALON and Singapore Airlines want's to park many of it's unused bus's there for the time being.

This was big news a few months back, not sure if it's happened as yet.

Agree with your comments 'bobright'.......If you take a peek at some posters history, they contain more "Smileys" than fact or good sense, thus a waste of time.

If you look at 'one' in particular, you will see what I mean.

I will also make a prediction that when the smoke clears, the 'big cat' will be one of the first to fall, as much as we complain about AA, this other mob haven't got a clue.