Offshore Bank Accounts

I am currently an HSBC Customer, but their offshore rates really suck right now so I am considering transfering to another bank.

Does anyone know any reputable institutions that offer better rates than zero that are full service (ie deal with standing orders, offer cheque books etc) ?

Thanks

TP

I am currently an HSBC Customer, but their offshore rates really suck right now so I am considering transfering to another bank.

Does anyone know any reputable institutions that offer better rates than zero that are full service (ie deal with standing orders, offer cheque books etc) ?

Thanks

TP

LLoyds TSB offshore Isle-of-Man. International account. Excellent service but 75GBP per annum fee. They offer 2.52% gross in a (separate) savings account.

Nationwide International 3.25%, A & L 3.50%, Abbey 3.75%, Anglo Irish 3.70%, Clydesdale 3.50% - all on a one year basis.

EDIT: Opps, CM didn't read the OP's post properly, sorry, these are fixed rates and you want current accounts.

Edited by chiang mai

No matter where one looks, interest rates stink and will continue too stay that way for sometime. After you price inflation in and taxes paid on interest income, best to sock it into something a bit more seaworthy mate. :)

No taxes on offshore savings.

If an account pays 2.5% then that is GBP 5000 annual interest on a modest savings account of GBP 200K

I have heard a lot of people discuss this issue recently. Basically interest isn't a lot better at most banks, and for most people the issue seems to be weighing possible service issues against a still small amount of interest.

The only way out of it as I can see is to look at other options for investment while keeping an HSBC account.

I have heard a lot of people discuss this issue recently. Basically interest isn't a lot better at most banks, and for most people the issue seems to be weighing possible service issues against a still small amount of interest.

The only way out of it as I can see is to look at other options for investment while keeping an HSBC account.

I reckon 4% for a year is OK but I wouldn't want to go further out than that.

Would that be the Abbey 2 yr escalator bond?

Anyone tried that?

Anyone tried that?

I think it's A & L and no I haven't tried it. I'm letting my deposits mature and I'm accumulating them in a 2.5% tracker account with zero notice. Risky to have large sums accumulate in a single account but I'm comfortable that Nationwide isn't going anywhere. As an a aside, I'm keeping funds available with a view to buying in the UK at some point, trouble is, I just don't think this current housing market (or the FTSE come to that) rally is going to last so it's a question of timing, as always.

Anyone tried that?

I think it's A & L and no I haven't tried it. I'm letting my deposits mature and I'm accumulating them in a 2.5% tracker account with zero notice. Risky to have large sums accumulate in a single account but I'm comfortable that Nationwide isn't going anywhere. As an a aside, I'm keeping funds available with a view to buying in the UK at some point, trouble is, I just don't think this current housing market (or the FTSE come to that) rally is going to last so it's a question of timing, as always.

I was thinking of adding another UK property to rent out, I am getting 6% return on the one I already have, but there is a tax issue if one has more than one as it takes you over the tax threshold.

HSBC are now offering 2%, still nowhere near enough. Curently I have all my money tied up in an Aviva "With Profits" Bond. It has been pretty volatile over the last year, its only paying about 4% and a 5% MVR is attatched to it. (was 12.5% but they lowered it to 5 when they cut the "Final Bonus" by 99.9% !!)

I am waiting for the Reatribution money and the third part of their "Special Bonus"( worth in total about 25k) to be paid early next year ..then I am considering moving it all to a safer haven even if the returns are less.

Does anyone else have dealings with Aviva? If so what do you think of them, they have certainly come in for a great deal of stick in the British Financial press recently.