Some Advice Please

blameme

Hi there,

I will be arriving in Phuket thursday and have yet to book my accomodation.I am travelling alone but meeting friends who

are arriving a week later.What i'm looking for is somewhere that's in a decent area,fairly modern and has a good wi-fi connection for my work.I just really want somewhere I can relax and chill out before my friends arrive.I have been reccomended to stay in karon beach or kata and if anyone knows any hotels in that area that would be great.Price range 1500baht and under,,,,,,,,,,thanks

Hi there, most of the hotels are fairly empty this year and for 1500 baht per night you will get a half decent one. Casa del sol in karon is quite cheap i think, also Kata country house is about 700 per night not sure if its got wireless though.

Consider Patong too much more to do there and loads of cheap places. Good luck finding somewhere :)

FWIW,

Baan Karaket (small boutique hotel w/ restuarant)

80, 82 Ratuthit 200 Pee, Patong

Smartly-appointed rooms only 500B and up (low season prices).

Mere steps away from a row of outdoor seafood restaurants and other, traditional Thai food vendors.

One block to the beach where public transport to Phuket Town is available.

PM me if you want their Tel. and/or email address.

Baan Karaket

baankaraket.th.jpg

Hi there, most of the hotels are fairly empty this year and for 1500 baht per night you will get a half decent one. Casa del sol in karon is quite cheap i think, also Kata country house is about 700 per night not sure if its got wireless though.

Consider Patong too much more to do there and loads of cheap places. Good luck finding somewhere :)

Thanks for that mate.I am still looking for hotel but think maybe I am best waiting till I get there that day.I have been recommended O'tools in karon centre although I dont think it's for me and also Andaman Seaview which is 2500 per night. Another thing by the way,is it possible to rent a motorbike in phuket and not have a driving licence.I lost mine 5 days ago and am not sure if I will have it by the time I leave here.And what are the penalties if u r caught driving without a licence,,,,,,,thanks

Thanks for that mate.I am still looking for hotel but think maybe I am best waiting till I get there that day.I have been recommended O'tools in karon centre although I dont think it's for me and also Andaman Seaview which is 2500 per night. Another thing by the way,is it possible to rent a motorbike in phuket and not have a driving licence.I lost mine 5 days ago and am not sure if I will have it by the time I leave here.And what are the penalties if u r caught driving without a licence,,,,,,,thanks

Yes you can rent a small scooter for 200 baht a day in kata, or 2500-3500 per month, if you wear your helmut all the time you should only get stopped at check points which the police set up from time to time, if you get caught its a 300 baht fine if i remember, which you have to drive to the police station and pay up.

Yes you can rent a small scooter for 200 baht a day in kata, or 2500-3500 per month, if you wear your helmut all the time you should only get stopped at check points which the police set up from time to time, if you get caught its a 300 baht fine if i remember, which you have to drive to the police station and pay up.

Thanks for your help

Be aware, an old scam used against people without a booked hotel goes like this, if you get a minibus from the airport.

You get the minibus to say 'Patong' at the airport, it stops at the office, just up from Tesco/Lotus on the bypass road, where they ask you to get out as they have to check the ticket (start of scam). They confirm you have no hotel booked, and then tell you it's illegal to take you any further until you have booked a hotel. They can help you of course. You then get a average hotel for an inflated price. For Example, 4500baht per night for a hotel that only normally charges 1800 a night.

There is no such law/requirement to have booked a hotel. i know it sounds obvious, but I have seen customer get scammed on this a few times.

just tell them you want to go to a dive shop and then ask the dive shop staff if they know of any good hotels and discounts. The staff typically speak good english and know all the hotels. They might even get you to go diving :)

Again, this was an old scam, not sure if it's still in play

Be aware, an old scam used against people without a booked hotel goes like this, if you get a minibus from the airport.

You get the minibus to say 'Patong' at the airport, it stops at the office, just up from Tesco/Lotus on the bypass road, where they ask you to get out as they have to check the ticket (start of scam). They confirm you have no hotel booked, and then tell you it's illegal to take you any further until you have booked a hotel. They can help you of course. You then get a average hotel for an inflated price. For Example, 4500baht per night for a hotel that only normally charges 1800 a night.

There is no such law/requirement to have booked a hotel. i know it sounds obvious, but I have seen customer get scammed on this a few times.

thanks for the info

Most times you get a cheaper rate ordering at latestays.com than just being a walk in customer. At least it's smart to check som prices before you stand in the hotel lobby. Some times, when the walk in price have been higher and the reception staff don't want to discount, I have been leaving for an internet place, amke the order there, and then go back 10 minutes later with a reservation...

Wlecome to Phuket!