Duty Free

I spotted an Irish Whiskey called something like The Wild Goose in a display advertising a free backpack with the purchase of 1 bottle which was priced at 1,340 Baht.

Wandering around I saw the same bottles in a display advertising 30% off but no free backpack. The bottles were priced at 2,100 Baht which would be 1,470 Baht after a 30% discount.

Also a 1 litre bottle of Jameson’s is 830 Baht in the Duty Free while a 70cl bottle in Friendship is 790 Baht, assuming the price of a 1 litre bottle can be interpolated to be 1,129 Baht if bought in Friendship then the Duty Free price represents a very reasonable 26% saving.

However there were some shops selling Jameson's with a free gift while others didn't have the gift offer.

So it pays to shop around.

I spotted an Irish Whiskey called something like The Wild Goose in a display advertising a free backpack with the purchase of 1 bottle which was priced at 1,340 Baht.

Wandering around I saw the same bottles in a display advertising 30% off but no free backpack. The bottles were priced at 2,100 Baht which would be 1,470 Baht after a 30% discount.

Also a 1 litre bottle of Jameson’s is 830 Baht in the Duty Free while a 70cl bottle in Friendship is 790 Baht, assuming the price of a 1 litre bottle can be interpolated to be 1,129 Baht if bought in Friendship then the Duty Free price represents a very reasonable 26% saving.

However there were some shops selling Jameson's with a free gift while others didn't have the gift offer.

So it pays to shop around.

A litre of Jamesons is 830 in duty free. This is GBP 14.60

In Tesco in the U.K. it costs 14.99. Is it worth a 40p saving?

Edited by syd barrett

I've never found King Power to be much better than the regular shops. Often it's more expensive. I remember at the old airport how a carton of smokes was sometimes cheaper in the convenience store in the underground parkade than "duty free" at King Power.

[

A litre of Jamesons is 830 in duty free. This is GBP 14.60

In Tesco in the U.K. it costs 14.99. Is it worth a 40p saving?

Add in the saving of around 30,000 Baht in airfares to UK, hotel bills, transport etc. and then the saving is a lot more than 40p.

Flying out of Suvarnabhumi at the weekend and transiting in Hong Kong, just wondering which is the cheapest for a couple of cartons of ciggies, or are they much about the same?

Have to factor in the possibility of an extended stay in Bang Kwang I suppose.

I shouldn't encourage a bad habit, but next time you are on the plane have a look at the duty free prices. Cig prices are very competitive on the asian airlines. Eliminates the risk of airport shopping. The small price difference is outweighed by the convenience factor.

Edited by geriatrickid