Wifi Reconnects

Phil Conners

I remember reading somewhere about how to reduce the number of Wifi reconnects in Windows. If I remember well the default settings is that Windows keeps checking around for alternative Wifi signals and that for some reason can cause reconnects. After having had to increase the distance between my AP and laptop I now get many such reconnects. Once it's connected it is usually "very good" (4/5 stripes) so it shouldn't need to do this.

If anyone has a pointer to such articles or otherwise can help with this I'd be much obliged.

I remember reading somewhere about how to reduce the number of Wifi reconnects in Windows. If I remember well the default settings is that Windows keeps checking around for alternative Wifi signals and that for some reason can cause reconnects. After having had to increase the distance between my AP and laptop I now get many such reconnects. Once it's connected it is usually "very good" (4/5 stripes) so it shouldn't need to do this.

If anyone has a pointer to such articles or otherwise can help with this I'd be much obliged.

The answer may be here: wireless.wikia.com

The answer may be here: wireless.wikia.com

I believe this Microsoft article may refer to the issue you are having

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910387

Are you on XP, Vista or Win7?

There is a known issue with Vista that searches for a better connection periodically, which causes no end of problems for gamers, there is a peice of software called "Vista Anti-lag" that deals with this (http://vista-anti-lag.software.informer.com/) - is that the same issue you are having?

I've looked around and found a few web sites discussing the problem, have a look at this to see if it helps (http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/105079-vista-60-second-lag-problem.html)

Strange.

At my place I'm surrounded by 4 wifi access points, of which in any location I can receive at least 2.

I have never had my laptop even wanting to switch between them, nor does it reconnects with the same one. Running WinXP...

And where I sit most, both visible AP's come up with virtually the same signal strength, which also fails to confuse my laptop.

Maybe it's something particular to your PC?

Is it your laptop doing that, the same one I have?

do you have an intel wifi card?

if so go in the properties of your graphic card and change the setting that makes windows looking for the best access point and sync with it.

it should be a scale from 1 to 5.