Favorite restaurants

First, a question: Does anybody know where to eat Couscous in Bangkok?

I thought it would be nice to discover new places and ask all of you about your favorite restaurant(s)... Mine is a small Italian restaurant in Bangkok:

LINO on Sukhumvit 31 (just moved to this new location). No imitation. Authentic Italian taste. You'll go back there!

And for the best French pastry, I like LA BOULANGE on Convent road in Silom.

So, where did you find in Thailand some delicious food at reasonable prices?

Cous-cous?...in an italian restaurant? Never heard of cous-cous a la parmagiana. Maybe cous-cous al la Algerian wetback Calabriese.

I like the cheese burgers and beef stew at the Bus Stop on Soi Nana...cheap and hard to beat.

You are right...it would be great to compile an independent listing of places to eat based upon recommendations from local expats rather than tourist agencies wanting to cash in.

Lets start with Mexican places...what would a bandit on the run from the federales in 1920 have for breakfast?

(Mr Trink...your reference to Alfonso Bedoya is not as obscure as you may think..)

yeah..frequentatore..if this thread could generate some interest then wonderful...lastimamente the Bus Stop is all that I came come up with as I live upcountry and don't come into town much.

regards

Check out Cedar Restaurant on Sukhumvit 49/9 (on one of the sub-sois of Sukhumvit Soi 49).

It is a Lebanese restaurant.....great food, small but nice atmoshere, good service, reasonable prices. The main dishes are few in number but nice.....actually, one can get full eating a selection of mezes (such as dolma, falafel, tabouleh, houmus, jajiki). There is also the 'in-house' Cedar beer.

On weekdays, it is not open for lunch and opens at around 6 pm. I am not sure but I think it is open for both lunch and dinner on weekends.

Regards,

Jem

Next time you're in Phuket...

Don's Cafe for a beef steak. He [ Don ] has cold rooms and hangs the beef for 40 days, or so. Tender, sweet.

After 2 years already in Thailand, I was used to the tough steaks. What a delight to visit his place. Only problem is, I don't live in Phuket.

For good cheap dim sum try the all-you-can-eat special from 10am-2pm at the Chinese restaurant on the 2nd floor of the Emporium.  I forget the name of the place, but its good quality, and cheap too at 199 baht per person on weekdays and 219 on weekends.  

Much better than the crap I've stomached at MK Suki, MD Suki (master of diarhea), Coco, Canton and others.

yeah..frequentatore..if this thread could generate some interest then wonderful...lastimamente the Bus Stop is all that I came come up with as I live upcountry and don't come into town much.

In the first post, I wrote "So, where did you find in Thailand some delicious food at reasonable prices?" because I really thought that even people living in Chiang Mai, Samui, anywhere in Thailand (even a small city)...  would tell us about their favorite restaurants! They might even meet on this board some new friends living in the same city...

Don't mention your usual place just because you go there often but places where you get some REALLY GOOD food... A place where you can take your girlfriend, wife or friends and have some tasty food. I'm tired of trying new places and get some canteen food! Frankly, we don't have to go to five stars hotels to find it! There are out there some small restaurants with gifted chefs!

Western food, Latin, Thai, other Asian food... Any kind of food at reasonable prices... vegetarian, seafood, pasta, BBQ, etc... And if you like burgers or pizza, that's fine too... Share with us the name, street, city, etc...

Hey c'mon frequent...the contributors are giving you their best shot...I like Jem's suggestion regarding the lebanese place...always liked a nice baba ganoush and some roast chicken.

Many times the mundane suggestions regarding good food are the best...who cares about camel testicle stew in Timbuktu if something as good is to be had off of Sukhumvit?

There should be a general protest against poor mexican food...everyone should show up in Alfonso Bedoya costume and shout about 'stinking bajies'...onion baji is a favorite Indian starter...

We also need more indigeneous pizza places that don't masquerade as posh italian restaurants...

A place where you can take your girlfriend, wife or friends and have some tasty food

It depends . I have a thai wife, and after she has been living for 16 years in Italy, I have problems to convince her to go to a restaurant in Italy, in Thailand it's impossible to get her to eat something different from food stalls or small "kwaitiaw restaurants" or food courts in department stores, and I guess it is the same with most thai wives or girlfriends. On the other hands I don't like thai food so when in Thailand if not eating at home, we eat in separate places.

When in Samui, my favourite restaurant is "Mamma Roma" in Chaweng, when in Phuket it's "Roma" in Soi Post Office in Patong. I am from Rome but it's just a coincidence if both have "Roma" in their name.

However prices are not so reasonable, as unfortunately the italian restaurants seem to be the most expensive.

I also agree with Mackerel about Don's Cafe in Phuket, but I haven't same problem, I live at a 5 minutes drive.

tuk's pochana,sukhumvit 12,opposite the mini mart. second shop past the second alleyway.next to a little photo shop.before you get to the massage and hotel.

small thai food shop,cooking done in the entrance,tin tables and stools,

50-80b a dish.

excellent

standard thai dishes.

The wifes mate sells noodle soup in Arab town Pattaya.

Bloody awful but she always insists we go there.

By awful i don't mean Yaa's soup, i mean the location.  Overly loud arab music blasting out.

Did i just see Saddam ??   ???

Cuisine is one thing and ambiance is another. If I could get a good arab mezze I wouldn't care how loud they played the awful music...can always stick wadded up tissue in the ears...

I saw Saddam...he serves tea in a little place on the approach to the entertainment area...when asked he says 'I got the WMDs in the back of the shop...'

For the best Lebanese mezzes and grills in town, you've got to try Moody's Place, in Sukhumvit Soi 5.  It's in a little dead-end soi across from Foodland and is fantastic.  Much better than the Arab joints in Soi 3 and 3/1.  Moody is a very affable Lebanese who insists that everything is the absolute top quality.

Hey c'mon frequent...the contributors are giving you their best shot...I like Jem's suggestion regarding the lebanese place...always liked a nice baba ganoush and some roast chicken.

Yes, I thank them for that. Am I complaining? Please read again...

Wouldn't the middle east restaurants around Sukhumvit 3 and 5  have Cous Cous ?  It ain't a favorite of mine. It, along with sheeps eyes are off my list of delights.

You're right, many years ago I heard about a restaurant in that area but I lost the information... Couscous (one word) is not well known in the Middle East, it's a staple of North Africa.

Great thread, yummy!

If you're looking for good Lebanese and affordable, I suggest Beirut over at Ploenchit Tower, near the Villa Supermarket underground.  I enjoyed Cedar but I think it's a little overpriced,  it's more like paying for the ambience.

As for Italian, I recommend the pizza at Bella Napoli over at Sukhumvit soi 31 is and the Italian restaurant called Cafe Bourgiorno, tucked in Soi 33 (I think, haven't been there in a long time) but the food was delicious.  

Dim sum, you can't go wrong with Tien Tien, either the original at Patpong or a nice lunch at All Season's branch.

Happy eating!!!!

ok, how about best indian in bangkok?? I am down in the south and the only indian place here puts so much msg in their food i get sick. next time I am in bangkok i would love to eat at a reasonably priced non-msg indian restaurant!!

For the best Lebanese mezzes and grills in town, you've got to try Moody's Place, in Sukhumvit Soi 5.

PvtDick,

I read your post yesterday and followed your advise a few hours later. I must concur,  Moody's Place has great Lebanese food and Moody is a great guy. Good suggestion! Thanks!

Well the best place for a cheap steak is of course the 'Japanese SteakHouse' in Patpong about 60 metres in from McDonalds...

As for rubbish english food try 'Bobbies Arms' (?) in Silom Soi 4. I ordered the old Roast Pork with crackling, of course it was delivered with ketchup, but the really funny part was the crackling! It was those Thai Pork skin nibbly bits that come in plastic bags for 10 baht, 3 pieces, I nearly fell of my chair laughing.

The pork was not ROASTED either it was Pork Loin!

At least the beer was real!

Nice thread everyone.

Should you ever venture West of Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, try the Jolly Frog. Good inexpensive grub, both Thai and Euro, Singha – Large one @ 55 Baht per bottle. Sorry no wine list there.

:D  ::o:  :cool:

Well the best place for a cheap steak is of course the 'Japanese SteakHouse' in Patpong about 60 metres in from McDonalds...

The steak place you're talking about is called "Mizu's", and they call their famous steak dish "Sarika Steak".  It's tasty and cheap enough, I agree, but not really what one would call a seriously good steak.  For those, I like the ones at Neil's Tavern (I prefer the "local" beef there to the much more expensive "imported" stuff).

• 2 weeks later...
As for Italian, I recommend the pizza at Bella Napoli over at Sukhumvit soi 31

Thanks for the suggestion. We tried yesterday night (sunday), the place was full. Good Italian pizza.

Anybody knows the pizza at San Remo restaurant?

When in Bangkok we like to go to a smallish  place called Anna's Gallery on Soi Thonglor. We sit outside (there is no inside) and eat really delicious Thai food mostly  cooked on charcoal grills. The fish baked in salt is especially superb.

There are a couple of restaurants I liked when i was living in BKK; there was MaBeBa a prmarily Italian restaurant which if i remember rightly is in Lang Suan and Sorento which has some very nice, fairly resonably priced Italian food in an old colonial house on Sathorn Road (very near to the Bank Thai building). Definitely a nice place to take the GF/Wife.

I personally also liked the food at the Irish Pub Shenannigans on convent...when i missed the UK (i lived in BKK for 3.5 years) i'd go in there and have some good grub (IMHO) and a couple of pints of guiness (apparently was brewed in Malaysia?!) and feel misty.

For good quality cheap Italian food there is a chain called "Pasta Charlies" (the only one i went to though was in Central Rama 3) and it is very good...Charlie the owner, is a good guy and kept on offering myself and friends free cake after our meals there!

Before i go and have anoter beer...if you haven't been to the Fuji chains (best one is in SCB Park Plaza) or the Oishi chains (again, the best one is on Phaholytin Road nearby) i recommend them. Eating Japanese in London is financially crippling...but in BKK is sooooo cheap! The Oishi buffet is all you can eat which is cool if you're hungry...i always used to have that and then snooze in the cinema round the corner with the GF! Good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.....

If i can remember any more good restaurants i'll post them

By the way, if you are reading this Gfunk look at the avatar and take note you petty little ######@#G pri@K. If you're going to make further rude, offensive and stupid comments you don't need to send them by PM, you can put them on the board in the public domain for others to see what a fuc#ing idiot you are....

As for Italian, I recommend the pizza at Bella Napoli over at Sukhumvit soi 31

Thanks for the suggestion. We tried yesterday night (sunday), the place was full. Good Italian pizza.

I should add: while waiting for your pizza, get a buffet plate (150 or 250 :o and enjoy some tasty appetizers with some fresh bread...

Lino on the same soi has also some excellent Italian food. Same kind of prices.