Using Work Permit Legal Services

I need to get a new work permit really soon, within about 5 weeks. I need to use one of those work permit legal services that regularly advertise in the Bangkok Post, but I wondered if any of you have experience using them. Here's the situation. I'm employed now with a work permit and non-imm B visa, which will expire when my contract runs out in several weeks. I'm getting a part-time gig with another school but they require that I have a work permit taken care of elsewhere as a condition for employment. So I need to get a new work permit ASAP.

Questions:

1. These legal service places are expensive. Their ads say anywhere from 6300 to 12,000 for a work permit. Are they worth it?

2. Do I have to leave the country and get a new visa in order to get a new work permit, or can I get a new work permit on the non-imm B visa I have now?

3. Can I go ahead and process the new work permit while still retaining the other one until it expires, or can I only possess one at a time?

4. Is there any other way than using these pay-thru-the-nose services? I've GOT to have a new work permit.

Thanks!

You are not going to get a new work permit until you find a job that allows it. Any service you use only does paperwork for you - you have to have the job that allows a work permit first. Be careful.

I used a WP company, made us jump through a lot of hoops and seemed unsure as to what paperwork they needed, they finally got it sorted out (with my wife's help), but still waiting for the long term visa, currently getting 1 month chops from the extension office after showing that I'm paying my taxes on 55,000 Baht per month salary.

Some people go it alone, depends if you need the hassle.

I used a WP company, made us jump through a lot of hoops and seemed unsure as to what paperwork they needed, they finally got it sorted out (with my wife's help), but still waiting for the long term visa, currently getting 1 month chops from the extension office after showing that I'm paying my taxes on 55,000 Baht per month salary.

Some people go it alone, depends if you need the hassle.

A work permit is granted to work at a specific employer only - so you are not going to be able to get a work permit & then legally take employment in a company.

You should get your non-immigrant B visa - that is not employer specific.

You are not going to get a new work permit until you find a job that allows it.  Any service you use only does paperwork for you - you have to have the job that allows a work permit first.  Be careful.

So I have to find a job that will sponsor me for a work permit and these legal services only handle the paperwork? That adds a complication. I only want this part-time gig, not a regular job along with it. Would any of these legal services sponsor me for a work permit?

I've got my own company, but yes you need a job first!

Looks like I'm SOL. :o Thanks for the info anyway.

dunno what SOL is but I guess you are. Back to the drawingboard I guess'

SOL means "S__t outta luck!" Yes, back to the drawingboard...I really appreciate everyone's input, though.

Good luck. Talk to Sunbelt about starting up your own concern. :D