New Photo Taking And Fingerprinting Procedure For Visa Extension

was fingerprinted in Indonesia, Bali for my extension. Every month, new appl and photos.

I have a question for you all with retirement visas. I needed to show up for 90 day check-in with address, etc on the 10th, totally forgot, now today is closed for Queen's Birthday. Will I have to pay a fine for late reporting?

was fingerprinted in Indonesia, Bali for my extension. Every month, new appl and photos.

I have a question for you all with retirement visas. I needed to show up for 90 day check-in with address, etc on the 10th, totally forgot, now today is closed for Queen's Birthday. Will I have to pay a fine for late reporting?

I believe you have 7 days grace for reporting purposes so you should be OK.

I just got back from Indo and had to do the fingerprinting thing. Luckily the company I was working for lent me their helicopter as the immi office was 6 hours away on shocking roads :)

Photos have always been required - so the only new thing is the fingerprint. As that seems to be the wave of the future; expect it will be used elsewhere in near future. My cheap Acer computer comes with it installed (although my index fingers seem to be too old to register).

Photos have always been required - so the only new thing is the fingerprint. As that seems to be the wave of the future; expect it will be used elsewhere in near future. My cheap Acer computer comes with it installed (although my index fingers seem to be too old to register).

Yes, I realize photo requirement is not new, but the aspect of having them shot at the Immigration office is.

So apparently, these 2 new requirements within Thailand are currently only in place Suan Plu.

Edited by sriracha john

I mentioned this very new addition to the often times “dog-&-pony-show” known as Suan Plu in a post I made several weeks ago about getting extensions of stay for several friends.

When I was there the cameras and fingerprinting machines were evidently just rolled out, and in asking the officer she said they'd started testing it on July 20th.

There was a supervisor running madly around trying to sort out problems which arose at the different desks. I think it will smooth itself out, once the staff becomes more competent with the drop down menus in the form they print (which is another T.M.7; except the picture they take of you with the digital camera is pre-printed on upper right corner of the form). All the data is filled in by the officers from your passport and the T.M.7 you normally turn in. They use the fingerprint scanner to take both index finger prints.

I hafta go down to Suan Plu again next week so I'll see if it's gotten better or not.

I mentioned this very new addition to the often times “dog-&-pony-show” known as Suan Plu in a post I made several weeks ago about getting extensions of stay for several friends.

When I was there the cameras and fingerprinting machines were evidently just rolled out, and in asking the officer she said they'd started testing it on July 20th.

There was a supervisor running madly around trying to sort out problems which arose at the different desks. I think it will smooth itself out, once the staff becomes more competent with the drop down menus in the form they print (which is another T.M.7; except the picture they take of you with the digital camera is pre-printed on upper right corner of the form). All the data is filled in by the officers from your passport and the T.M.7 you normally turn in. They use the fingerprint scanner to take both index finger prints.

I hafta go down to Suan Plu again next week so I'll see if it's gotten better or not.

Thanks for that report. :)

I had searched on the subject but your earlier post didn't show up.

Sounds about as expected with such a change causing confusion and lack of preparation.

Also sounds like it might be awhile before they implement these changes at the provincial Immigration offices.

Last year (August) when I got a retirement extension, Pattaya Immigrations was already taking a digital photo with their computer.

I'm pretty sure it was also being done in July (2008) when I transferred my stamps over to a new passport, but not 100% sure.

I also recall, when walking behind the desk with the camera-taking computer, looking at the screen while they took someone's photo, and the chair where they sit is backlit from overhead lighting so the face is in shadow and the photo is so dark to be almost unrecognizable.

RENEW RETIREMENT VISA

Has anyone had trouble renewing a retirement visa at a provincial immigration office instead of in BKK under the rules which changed this year.

For three years I have lived in Roi-Et and always renewed my retirement visa in BKK by just showing a letter from the embassy certifying my pension amount, above the required 850,000THB, a five minute job usually.

Now I have to renew in Mukdahan, they are demanding I keep at least 850K in the bank in Thailand for three months+ medical certificate as well as my pension certificate.

All my money is kept off shore so no way can I show any amount in a Thai bank account.

How can the law be different in Mukdahan than in Bangkok?

Any suggestions ?

RENEW RETIREMENT VISA

Has anyone had trouble renewing a retirement visa at a provincial immigration office instead of in BKK under the rules which changed this year.

For three years I have lived in Roi-Et and always renewed my retirement visa in BKK by just showing a letter from the embassy certifying my pension amount, above the required 850,000THB, a five minute job usually.

Now I have to renew in Mukdahan, they are demanding I keep at least 850K in the bank in Thailand for three months+ medical certificate as well as my pension certificate.

All my money is kept off shore so no way can I show any amount in a Thai bank account.

Any suggestions ?

The rule always has been that if you opt for the showing 800,000 in the bank optiont the money has to be in a bankaccount in Thailand.

If you go for the income route the requiremenn is 65,000 a month (on avarage) and that can be from abroad.

Maybe they misunderstood that you are opting for the money in the bank option instead of the income option. But the required ammount would be 800,000 not 850,000.

Here's the original post I made referencing the new photo/fingerprint dealy at Suan Plu. As it was of little relevance to most people it kinda got buried in the plethora of visa related posts. .. :D

Today I went with two people to shepherd them thru their yearly extensions based on retirement. Got there at 7:40AM, was about 20th in line outside, mostly young people and businessmen. After the Thai National Anthem they let us in to get our queue tickets. The girl at queue ticket booth didn't want to give me two numbers at first but finally relented when I pointed out the two people I was with. Luckily I got numbers 1 and 2 (really number 2 and 3 because they start with number 0).

There was a little delay in opening the non-business visa side of room 101 because of the new camera, electronic fingerprint dealy they are now doing. Setting up the tripods, digital cameras and the scanners for fingerprints took some time. I don't know why they don't leave them set up on the desks all the time, (maybe the building isn't as secure as one would imagine). They finally started calling numbers at about 8:45. Both people sailed thru with their paperwork pre-filled out, photos glued on, correct copies signed, etc. Also (while technically not a required document) both people had their health certificates taken by the Immigrations Officers (Well worth the 120baht to get them).

They did have some problems with the program which was linked to the digital cameras, and one woman; evidently the trainer of the new program, was running madly from desk to desk to sort out the issues which came up. I think it is more unfamiliarity with the program rather than poorly designed software. The form they print is another T.M.-7 with the photo they took of you already attached.

I had given the two people copies of the 3 ‘extra’ forms they give you after they are sure they’re going to issue you a visa (I mentioned these forms in another post). They are; the one about understanding of the terms of your visa, the one about the financial requirements if you use the bank deposit method for funds, and the self guarantee one. (Immigrations officials seemed to get a kick out of someone actually having them already.)

Before they two people were finished in Room 101, I went out and got them queue numbers for their reentry permits, and by the time they finished up getting their yearly extensions the numbers for their re-entry permits were being called. One of the guys also was within a week of his 90 day reporting, so he did that as well.

I think this new fingerprint, photo deal they are doing will eventually speed up, as the staff gets more used to the drop down menu fields that need to be filled out.

I will say again for the record; IMHO, what slows Suan Plu place down is the incredibly stupid questions asked at the queue ticket counter, the use of the wrong forms, the wrong copies, no photos, and the mind-wobbling sense of entitlement some foreigners display when dealing with Thai Immigration Officials. Today I saw one man bang his fist down onto an officer’s desk and speak to her in quite a loud voice. (I had to smile to myself when I noticed he was sent away for 'more documentation'.)

Anyone who has even the slightest control over your ability to remain here should always be treated deferentially and ultra-politely (even if it's just an act on your part.)

Not much more info than I posted about already. .. :)

In response to "roiethome" asking about provincial offices requiring more or less documentation. It would seem they have a great degree of latitude in their interpretation of the visa rules. This forum is full of differing requirements requested by different offices scattered across the country. There seems to be no hard and fast rule, although Bangkok and Jomtien seem to adhere to the rules (most of the time).

I am so (not) looking forward to getting my Retirement Visa when I 'hit' 50 y.old in 3 years time.......digi photos and 'prints - great.

Being married to a Thai National, plus our 2 kids (5.5 and 2.5 y.old), will the Marriage Visa be a better option?

Any input welcomed.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Even if you have a 65k income and a letter from your embassy you may be asked to show some money in the bank. This has happened in 2 different immigration offices. I now find it better to go with the 800k bank balance.

I am so (not) looking forward to getting my Retirement Visa when I 'hit' 50 y.old in 3 years time.......digi photos and 'prints - great.

Being married to a Thai National, plus our 2 kids (5.5 and 2.5 y.old), will the Marriage Visa be a better option?

Any input welcomed.

rgdz,

Brewsta

....or am I in the wrong thread to enquire of same.....hmmmm

rgdz

Brewsta

Last year I was supposed to report to Nongkhai-go over bridge and back-on the 1st Jan but listened to mates who said they would be closed so went on 2nd and was charged 500bt!!!!

As far as I can see, its atm only happening is Suan Plu. Not big deal but I think I will never have this pleasure because I not need to go to Suan Plu (anymore). I use Non -O Immigration support which I can/will not extend.

Waiting to get fingerprinted at Airport, sometimes... ;-) ?

Been there done that! "twice" 1st time didn't realise had to have stamp every 90 days and was 5 months overdue, ended up buying every one a bottle of water to drink "about 6 i think"and just a warning don't do it again because i could be fined up to 5,000 baht . 2nd time 2 weeks over the clerk just commented i don't look old enough to have memory loss, "don't do it again"no fine.

also one time let my bank slip below 800,000 but once again let me off with a warning, must like my face i guess

Edited by warlord

Lopburi, can you explain this Acer thing please?

Lopburi, can you explain this Acer thing please?

Acer Aspire 4736 models (sold everywhere now) have a built in reader that you can use rather than typing passwords - if you can get it to work. But that is better talked about in the computer forum.

Any input welcomed.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Ill try to make this short. I've been here 3 yrs on a mariage visa. 3 times, officers in Bkk have said its easier to get a retirement visa. Up til this year, I have gone into Bkk to extend my marriage visa although I live in another province, due to our local Imm. office having a very, how shall I put it, unforgiving officer that comes across as a person that hates their job. With the change in law, I was forced to file for extension in our local Imm office. The wife and I went in with the paperwork for the marriage visa, and this time I took paperwork for a retirement visa. My thought was, allow the officer to pick which paperwork they are in the mood to do. I might add here, that we never walk into an Imm office in shorts and tee. polo, or any other pull over shirts. Dress sharp and you get respect. Last week, when this occured, I was wearing dress slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt, the wife in a business type outfit. We saw the officer, wearing a medical face mask, so we immediately put ours on. When the officer called us up, we laid down all we had, and we were then asked why the 2 sets of forms. Upon mentioning that I really wanted the retirment visa if that would be no problem to the officer. The marriage visa forms were pushed back to us, and in 6 minutes, I got my passport back with a retirement visa stamp inside. YESSSSS, a retirement visa is a whole lot easier, if you can show proof that you make the annual income required.

Been there done that! "twice" 1st time didn't realise had to have stamp every 90 days and was 5 months overdue, ended up buying every one a bottle of water to drink "about 6 i think"and just a warning don't do it again because i could be fined up to 5,000 baht . 2nd time 2 weeks over the clerk just commented i don't look old enough to have memory loss, "don't do it again"no fine.

also one time let my bank slip below 800,000 but once again let me off with a warning, must like my face i guess

too funny. You got off cheap with 6 bottles of water and a slap on the wrist.

In response to the 90 day question falling on a holiday. You will probably learn the answer before you read this, but I'll share anyway. More than once my 90 day appearance was on national holidays. They seem to waive the fine if you go in the very following workday. I have even been scheduled to go in on one Saturday and I believe its been 2 Sundays in the past. They count exactly 90 days, and it doesnt seem to matter to them if the 90th day falls on weekends or holidays. So far, they have never even batted an eye over it.

RENEW RETIREMENT VISA

Any suggestions ?

The rule always has been that if you opt for the showing 800,000 in the bank optiont the money has to be in a bankaccount in Thailand.

If you go for the income route the requiremenn is 65,000 a month (on avarage) and that can be from abroad.

Maybe they misunderstood that you are opting for the money in the bank option instead of the income option. But the required ammount would be 800,000 not 850,000.

Thai consulate in Antwerp Belgium: perfect service, but the rule is 850K

Visa extension are made by Immigration inside Thailand - not by any Consulate. The rule is 800k in a Thai bank account for 2 months first time and 3 months thereafter; or 65k monthly income as listed on letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two to meet the 800k yearly requirement.