Getting Cut In Front Of In Line

AskTheCPT

Do people often cut in line in Thailand?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Give Africa a try for queue-jumping, or more accurately, no concept of a queue.

But if you throw them a bit of shit about it, something like point and say, "There *is* a queue", they typically will get embarrassed and move back.

In India, I do not think it is queue jumping so much, but if you leave any space between you and the counter, someone will try to squeeze in front of you.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a ‘Thai’ moment the other day. I jogged across the road and flagged down a taxi.

I’d opened the front door to get in and tell him where I would like to go when I heard a kind of giggle/murmur from a couple of girls 10m down the rd. I immediately realised I’d just stolen their taxi, I told the driver to take them and I’ll get the next cab. I apologised to the girls telling them I hadn’t noticed them while crossing the road (as I was watching out for traffic).

The similar thing has happened to me before, but I have been the one waiting when someone takes the taxi I was flagging down. I always speak out and never or very very rarely get an apology.

It’s not ignorance, because everyone understands courtesy and manners. I’ve been here long enough to know that everyone here knows its rude to jump a cue, push in, not give way etc. Its simple selfishness, self-centredness and the result of a hierarchal society where everyone thinks they are more important than the next person.

It’s bad manners and people do it because they can. So, those who don’t let it happen to them, good for you.

Those who think they are guests and let things like this continually occur regardless of how much money they have spent will continue to get walked over.

all very good posts...but consider this. in the time ive spent driving on bkk roads, ive noticed the perennial queue jumpers are always the big and expensive european saloons. it has got me to wondering if jumping queues isn't a trait that successful people here employ. perhaps if I were to do the same, i could trade in my little company issue toyota yaris for something a little more roomy.

move over suckers, i'm coming through !!!

while your analogy is correct for the road, it doesn't apply at your nearest 711, exact opposite demographic.

all very good posts...but consider this. in the time ive spent driving on bkk roads, ive noticed the perennial queue jumpers are always the big and expensive european saloons. it has got me to wondering if jumping queues isn't a trait that successful people here employ. perhaps if I were to do the same, i could trade in my little company issue toyota yaris for something a little more roomy.

while your analogy is correct for the road, it doesn't apply at your nearest 711, exact opposite demographic.

there is no dark tint to hide behind in a 7/11 so i suppose i would just send in my driver to jump queues for me. successful types have people for that sort of thing don't they ?

there is no dark tint to hide behind in a 7/11 so i suppose i would just send in my driver to jump queues for me. successful types have people for that sort of thing don't they ?

haha ok, but what about the moto taxi guys and somtam sellers? are they on the payroll as well?

haha ok, but what about the moto taxi guys and somtam sellers? are they on the payroll as well?

surely you jest. i would be successful, rich and powerful. i wouldn't even realise those people existed, so why would i bother thinking about them and their 7/11 missions. you should know i am looking down my nose at you as i write this.

i do have a good queue story though. two weekends ago i went to macau with a few boys for a night of...well...just for a night. anyway, there was the usual chinese queuing going as we tried to get on the transfer bus to venetian.

at the hotel lobby, just as i got to the front to check in, an important looking suit waltzed to the front and tried it on. before I could say anything, the receptionist looked at me, looked at him and told him to join the end of the line. as he did the walk of shame, we all cheered, patted him on the back and pointed the way. it was a beautiful moment not often seen in china.

i then proceeded to lose my future bmw deposit on the tables. bloody karma…

It depends where you live. If you live somewhere where the locals aren't ignorant peasants, then, generally they have learned not to cut in line. If by chance some 'out of towner' or just downright arrogant tries to push through to the front, he/she will get the benefit of my elbow in their ribs, a step on the toe, and a 'my suparb', or 'mai por' depending on the estimated origination of aforesaid cheeky bastard.

Hey Zeke

looking down on me while you write this? are you GOD? If so, what colour shirt am I wearing?

anyways, just to level the playing field, while your story was touching, the last sentence reminded me of a very appropriate Thai saying ... "Som nom na" :)

Hey Zeke

looking down on me while you write this? are you GOD? If so, what colour shirt am I wearing?

anyways, just to level the playing field, while your story was touching, the last sentence reminded me of a very appropriate Thai saying ... "Som nom na" :)

thanks for the kind words jimmy. a week with no beer budget means next time im in front of a table i will be sure to remember them.

and just in case the question was serious, no i am not god. but i can guess. you are a man united fan which means you're not wearing a shirt. you are sitting in front of your computer dressed only in a blue wife beater and a pair of tighty whities.

come on...i am close right ?

If someone cuts in front of me, I just discreetly Tazer them, and act like the spirit has posessed them. Not only do you solve the initial problem, everybody is so occupied with the guy spazzing out on the floor, you actually get to jump straight to the front of the line without any questions. It's a win/win situation for me.

You know how the Thais love their ghosts/spirits.

Hapens in London more and more these days, really winds me up, specially on the roads when people drive past the queue you're in and push in further down GRRRR! worst i reckon is the underground, saw it on the skytrain in BKK too...people trying to get on before other people have got off! not just rude but really <deleted>*king stupid too! when I'm getting off a train and there are people standing in front of the door i'm exiting from i just pretend they're not there and walk through them...then apologise profusely...and point out that i expected them not to stand there as that's where people get off the train!

I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing or if people worldwide are just less aware or bothered about other people and maybe the world is becoming a less courteous place! It is also possible that this same conversation could have happend in any given culture at any given point in history....'things are not what they used to be...people these days are so rude!'

Nice to hear other people's views on this though :-)

The problem is not as big as people make it out to be.
Unless it is praticed in a vehicle, see this way too often at turn signals and uturn locations.

Often the offender is blocking the thru traffic lane behind and is a real danger.

The problem is not as big as people make it out to be.

It's a good sign and perhaps an indicator that at least some folks are enjoying life though. If this is one of your life's major problems, you probably lead a nice life.

Myself, today's life stopping problem is our exterior 4th floor windows (that don't open) with no balconey need Windex-ing and the maid is afraid of heights. Debating whether to wait for our cable repair lift truck to get here from Satahip or just to send someone to buy the longest bamboo stepladder we can find. How do you say 'don't worry, you have a safety harness," in Khmer?

:)

Edited by Heng