Changing Our Minds

Meridian007

I was going to post this in the general forum as this question encompasses not only belief, but culture, politics, and the human condition. While it does not specifically deal with Buddhism, I believe some of the Buddhist precepts may be useful in finding an answer.

I just finished watching The Day the Earth Stood Still, and while it was typically a Hollywood movie, it made me think about what we need to do to change as a species, and if the human condition will allow us to change.

I think we can all agree that as a species, we are pushing the planet in extreme and dire ways. Greed, corruption, fear, anger, and violence typify our daily experiences, even if they are in ways so minute that we barely notice them. These individual experiences expand to include our families and work, then continue to reach out on a local, provincial, national and lastly, a global level. War, poverty, environmental destruction, these things cross all borders, and effect our chances of continuing to survive as a species on this planet, even if the planet survives after we are gone.

While there are also many actions done daily that are truly altruistic, most of our interactions with each other follow more of a realist, "self-interest" based model. Regardless of ideology or religion, the world is becoming increasingly centered on the offshoots of our market based economy. We are encouraged to consume from the moment we awake, until we sleep, and this effects us in ways we may not realise. It reinforces our basic focus on receiving something in return for every action that we do, and the conflict that arises when we fear that we may not receive equal to our output. I think this is something that is "hard-wired" into us, and even those of us who have tried to release ourselves from these constraints, fall back into it under stress.

I don't know if this is the main basis for our problems, but when I look at headlines in the news, I can usually find a way that it distills down to this. As much as we would all love to see a world where there is peace, love and sharing across the species, I'm really at a loss to figure out a way to achieve this when a large part of the population thinks only of themselves, many with good reason (such as starvation or personal security).

I feel that if there is going to be any change, it must be framed in a way that the leaders of our societies (local, religious, corporate, and national) can understand it, and that is in the language of self-interest. It seems that the higher up the ladder of power you go, the more impossible it is to do anything truly altruistically. There are countless N.G.O.s (and religions) that began as a group who just wanted to help, but the more they became involved with corporations, banks, and governments, the more they had to sacrifice their ideals to survive because their ideals were counter-productive to the plain, realist-ics of the survival of a large organisation. This extends to political leaders as well.

How can we take a non-zero sum outcome (where everybody gains), and promote it as a zero-sum (competitive) system that will appeal to the leaders of society (who need to win-at-all-costs)? How can we get past the ideas of "My (Religion/Race/Country/Ideology) is the best, and all others cannot be trusted. They must join us or be defeated.", and create a situation where people are not so afraid of what they don't understand?

Can we do it? I'm sorry to seem negative, but when I think about this, the most likely solution seems to be to allow us to die out as a species so that the rest of the world can survive.

I know that is harsh, but I really feel that we are failing as a species, and I think more needs to be done than just "Do good things yourself, and others will follow." because that tends to lose its strength beyond a few individuals. Somehow the whole game needs to be changed, we need to stop thinking of "us" versus "them" and begin thinking of ways that we can all be "us".

Can we function without a "them" to fight against? Whether it is our neighbor, a member of a different race/religion/socio-economic status, or another country, we seem to thrive on competition, and if we don't find a way to harness this competitive spirit for the good of all, I fear it may destroy us. How do we do it?

Sorry to drone on for so long, this is what I'm thinking about tonight, and this is the only place I have to discuss it right now. :)

Hi Meridian,i read your post with interest,these are questions which i ask myself all the time,my humble opinion is no,we cannot as a society(exist without competition)I don't know why,but i think it's something inherent with our survival instinct.

As individuals we can work with it,and evolve to become a compassionate soul.

One thing i have no reason to doubt,that our Planet have seen destruction in the past,and will see in the future,and humankind will have to start again the fight to survive and to develop,exactly like it was at the beginning of the history.

In fact we are a small point in the Universe,we are not so important compared to Infinity. :)

Just a couple of thoughts,i'm sure that there is much more to be discussed.Oh,don't worry,be happy!

It is impossible, with huge world overpopulation, and the materialistic society, for a peaceful happy world.

The buddhist scriptures point to a time in the future when morals have gone completely and our life-span is down to only ten years. Then will come a seven-day madness of mass-killing. The survivors from that will then gather together and start to lead moral lives again. The Human life-span will then gradually increase to its high point of about 100,000 years....then start to fall again.

A Buddha only comes when the human life-span is decreasing.....and when it reaches 85,000 years the next Buddha is to appear.

Imagine a heaven upon earth where everyone keeps the five basic precepts...... No killing, stealing, cheating, destroying nature, etc.

What you're dealing with is an old political problem that Machiavelli tried to solve in The Prince. Basically, you have to have the most evil, corrupt, power-hungry political leader of all use the system to seize power and then become a benevolent dictator.... :)

Rather like King Ashoka.

Don't worry about 2012 ... there will be survivors... the human race is not destined to disappear yet......

Not unless we all disappear down a black hole when they power up the Large Hadron Collider this November. Then we're all gonna be in a celestial realm for awhile.

large-hadron-collider.jpg

Don't worry about 2012 ... there will be survivors... the human race is not destined to disappear yet......

Not unless we all disappear down a black hole when they power up the Large Hadron Collider this November. Then we're all gonna be in a celestial realm for awhile.

large-hadron-collider.jpg

perhaps they should put it off until december 2012......

Edited by fabianfred

From the Buddhist perspective one has to ask, is the world worth saving? To paraphrase JC, what does a man gain if he gains the world but loses his soul, ie what should come first, salvation (in Buddhist terms, nirvana) or environmental stability?

I have no answer. :) But I think you have it right in the title of your topic, changing minds is the key, starting with your own mind.