Lowering The Tone In Thailand

sunholidaysun1

Does anyone else think that the music level in Thailand is dangerous for your hearing ?

How can YOU lower the Tone :)

Its worse in Vancouver Canada where I am from. It seems to be universal but maybe you are from Saudi Arabia, I don't know.

Age and in my case a partial lose of hearing has helped immensely. Headphones to a Ipod seem to help my daughters not to hear a word I say (except, I went to bank today). I avoid those places with load music, when possible and when I can not I move away from the speakers. I do not think you will be able to lower the volume of music, many of the Thai's speak, using such load volume, they would not comprehend what or why you would request such a silly thing.

It does seem that as soon as you go anywhere in Thailand that your ears are under constant assault.

Take the supermarket for instance, you have the Katoey on the loudspeaker plugging sausages or some such rubbish, then you have the girls on another loudspeaker 10 metres away plugging magic cream that makes you white, I am sure they keep turning up the volume to outdo each other.

Even out in the sticks there is no respite, at 5am the Thai music is blasted out from the temple at levels that would drown out a jet engine.

It is what it is but sometimes I breath a sigh of relief when I get home and can get a bit of peace and quiet :)

It depends where you live. Many places are very quiet, too. Also in Phuket. But you never know, if your neighbour will open a karaoke disco, a sawmill or a chicken farm tomorrow. You certainly can not lower the noise level.

I know someone who bought a huge piece of land in the palm tree forest, because he wanted to be sure that no one will disturb his peace. Build the house in the middle of that land.

Another one I know, went to the abbot and told him he should reduce the noise because he could not sleep at 23:00. :) It was a temple fair. That demand did not help to make him more popular at his area.

Thailand is a haven of tranquillity, where the people rarely speak above a whisper.

Mind you, I used to live in Vietnam, where everybody bawls at everybody else at the top of their voices 24 hours a day, so I might be biased.

Try living in Saigon for a week, and when you return here, you'll think everybody has taken a vow of silence. :)