Living And Marrying A Thai

I am seriously thinking of trying to marry a thai national and start family and living in chiangmai I want to know how the visa would work if I was to marry a thai is it similiar to having a retirement visa also I though about business visa as well and set up a family business as well just want to find out more about visas and know what through what ways are through legal channels here in thailand currently i am on two month tourist visa but I think by next year I have to doing something in terms of long term stay as my girlfriend and future wife will start a family I also having giving thought to bring her back to australia but not sure how long it would take if she could get dual citizenship

I am seriously thinking of trying to marry a thai national and start family and living in chiangmai I want to know how the visa would work if I was to marry a thai is it similiar to having a retirement visa also I though about business visa as well and set up a family business as well just want to find out more about visas and know what through what ways are through legal channels here in thailand currently i am on two month tourist visa but I think by next year I have to doing something in terms of long term stay as my girlfriend and future wife will start a family I also having giving thought to bring her back to australia but not sure how long it would take if she could get dual citizenship

And you are.. how old..?

An inappropriate post for the Chiang Mai forum. Spend some time on the Visa forum to learn the differences in types of Visas in Thailand and, in particular, note the cautionary posts about starting a business over here with a Thai National. It can, and likely will, change your life in ways that you cannot even imagine..

Good luck...

Welcome to the forum Lanky. You're not the first Thai Visa forum member to fall in love with a Thai and contemplate taking your life in a direction you never expected. Some people do it quite successfully and others end up losing their hearts, bank accounts and even their lives in deciding to marry a Thai. I'd suggest that you spend some long hours pouring over the many posts about this subject. Take a look at the General forum and the News forum in addition to the Chiang Mai forum. The "search" function can be frustrating to use, so you can try other search engines such as Google. Just include the words "Thai Visa forum" along with your other search words and Google can serve as a good search engine for this site.

I'd urge caution, especially if this is your first visit to Thailand. It's very easy to become intoxicated with the country and the people during your initial visits.

Yep, step back and take stock first. This place is unbeatable as a holiday destination but so much different in real life and can lead to one pulling one's hair out in no time. CM is defo one of the best places if you don't need to be next to a beach, though (Hua Hin 12 hours by bus direct, Phuket 2 hours Thai Air). Best off on your tod me thinks, but if you must get hitched be sure to vet/test the extended family and seriously think about the business thing... investing in Aussie would be a surer prospect. :)

Marriage visa - 400k in bank, retired 800k.

When married to a Thai you can get a non-immigrant "O" visa based on that. With your visa you can get a permission to stay in Thailand, for 90 days. These 90 days can be extended with 1 year and every year afterwards if you meet the following requirements:

- you are legaly and defacto married (actualy living together as man and wife)

- you have an income of 40,000 baht a month OR 400,000 baht in a Thai bankaccount for 3 months (the first month it can be there for only 2 months)

Only your income counts, but it can be from abroad.

If you want to work you will need a work permit.

When I noticed the Marrying a Thai part I knew I would not be able to give any helpful/fool proof advice as there is no hard winter here and to hatch a little one only takes about 9 months. That leaves several months to keep her and him entertained while maintaining the meaningful relationship.

Whoa, Whoa. take a breather there, grasshopper.

Assuming you're sure about this woman, (and remember you'll be hitching up with her extended family as well so make sure you know everyone and their business and how much your wife—by extension, you—is expected to be responsible for them), you need to re-read NancyL's post which is wisdom in a nutshell. Mario 2008 succinctly covers the visa requirements.

If you're young, my advice would be for you and your new spouse to live and work in Oz for a while and build up extra savings. If you're going to have kids and want them to attend International school, then Uni in Oz (who the hel_l thinks that long term? I do and so should you), you will not be saving money by living in Thailand.

As long as you're going in with your eyes wide open, and especially if you're not, good luck to you.

ok thanks for the advice I am position now that i might have to marry my girlfriend the other day tested positive in becoming pregnant and I am quite sure that it is mine I have some ideas also to maybe bring her to australia or if i wish i can live here in chiangmai with her she is a nice girl currently working but i gather in a few months time she will be more pregnant and stop work I have some serious thinking to do with myself were to live also whether I support her here meaning marriage visa or business visa I not sure which way is best at the moment for me I paid alot of taxes would like to get something back at least for our baby from aussie government but I think it is harder to get visa and to become aussie citizen through me would appreciate any constructive advice i thinking about my life and future now i know i can survive here but also if i only have marriage visa cannot have business or work here

cheers frank

Yep, step back and take stock first. This place is unbeatable as a holiday destination but so much different in real life and can lead to one pulling one's hair out in no time. CM is defo one of the best places if you don't need to be next to a beach, though (Hua Hin 12 hours by bus direct, Phuket 2 hours Thai Air). Best off on your tod me thinks, but if you must get hitched be sure to vet/test the extended family and seriously think about the business thing... investing in Aussie would be a surer prospect. :)

Marriage visa - 400k in bank, retired 800k.

• 2 weeks later...
When married to a Thai you can get a non-immigrant "O" visa based on that. With your visa you can get a permission to stay in Thailand, for 90 days. These 90 days can be extended with 1 year and every year afterwards if you meet the following requirements:

- you have an income of 40,000 baht a month OR 400,000 baht in a Thai bankaccount for 3 months (the first month it can be there for only 2 months)

Thanks! I am confused though! You state that an income or a deposit will do, but you add that only an income "counts". Please clarify. Thanks.

ok thanks for the advice I am position now that i might have to marry my girlfriend the other day tested positive in becoming pregnant and I am quite sure that it is mine I have some ideas also to maybe bring her to australia or if i wish i can live here in chiangmai with her she is a nice girl currently working but i gather in a few months time she will be more pregnant and stop work I have some serious thinking to do with myself were to live also whether I support her here meaning marriage visa or business visa I not sure which way is best at the moment for me I paid alot of taxes would like to get something back at least for our baby from aussie government but I think it is harder to get visa and to become aussie citizen through me would appreciate any constructive advice i thinking about my life and future now i know i can survive here but also if i only have marriage visa cannot have business or work here

cheers frank

Whew..ran outta breath.

The use of a period would be nice.

a period would be nice.

But then we wouldn't have a pregnancy.

Seriously good luck but do not get married just because she is pregnant. Consider the cultural differences and the extended family.

These are the reasons you shouldn't get married. But if you give up because of what we say you shouldn't get married anyway.

Edited by harrry

Thanks! I am confused though! You state that an income or a deposit will do, but you add that only an income "counts". Please clarify. Thanks.

What is confusing? Mario said... "Only your income counts, but it can be from abroad."

That means he can't use any income his future wife might have, but, his income could be from some other country than Thailand.

Getting a work permit in Thailand is difficult, but not impossible.

I wish the OP luck because he certainly IS going to need it. You never marry a single woman it Thailand. You marry the whole family. And, if the famiily is poor then you are expected to support them all.

What is confusing? Mario said... "Only your income counts, but it can be from abroad."

That means he can't use any income his future wife might have, but, his income could be from some other country than Thailand.

I wish the OP luck because he certainly IS going to need it. You never marry a single woman it Thailand. You marry the whole family. And, if the famiily is poor then you are expected to support them all.

I was under the impression that combined income of 40,000 baht/month is what 'counts' and by 'counts' they mean 'provable income' ie. Thai tax records from your wife or deposits in a Thai bank account from abroad with e certified letter from your embassy showing the income to be bonafide. And plese, do try some punctuation?

Good luck mate, you'll need it :-)

I was under the impression that combined income of 40,000 baht/month is what 'counts' and by 'counts' they mean 'provable income' ie. Thai tax records from your wife or deposits in a Thai bank account from abroad with e certified letter from your embassy showing the income to be bonafide. And plese, do try some punctuation?

Good luck mate, you'll need it :-)

Out of 20 posts Mario2008's was the only one that gave worthwhile information.

You cannot use the wife's income since November of last year. It can only be the Husbands income.

Work permits are not hard to get if you find a job. It's starting a business or company to get a work permit that is difficult to do.

If working here you can show your income by way of tax payments if you have a work permit

Out of 20 posts Mario2008's was the only one that gave worthwhile information.

UbonJoe I would have to differ with you about this. Your post may have been valid if this had been posted in the Visa forum however the topic was posted in and answered in the ChiangMai forum. THe poster was given several pieces of advice cautioning him and suggesing he reflect on the issues involved in marying a Thai person. Valuable information I wish I had had when I married my first wife.

Note: I have posted this as I feel you replied to this post as a member not as a way of moderating the forum.

I wrote my opinion. Every time somebody writes Thai wife or girl friend you will get the same thing if the post is not made on this forum. You just get a bunch of biased and off topic posts and a lot of them at times could be deleted for Thai bashing.

The OP made his post on the wrong forum or it would of been half as long as it is.

Mate, It's not that hard to get them, wife/child into Aus. And it will be a better long term option for your child.

The embassy people in BKK are very helpfull as long as all the paperwork is done properly.

John.

You should spread your questions a bit. This is too much to take in and answer all in one go.