Thai Rath Cartoon เดี๋ยวก็ออกข่าว

kokesaat

Yesterday's Thai Rath political cartoon started off with a man reading a newspaper and exclaiming:

เดี๋ยวก็ออกข่าว (ไปทำเหมืองทอง)

I'd translate the ออกข่าว as a news release, but unsure of เดี๋ยวก็ . Since he's reading the newspaper at the time, I'd guess that the translation would be along the lines of THIS JUST IN/BREAKING NEWS

Any other ideas?

Yesterday's Thai Rath political cartoon started off with a man reading a newspaper and exclaiming:

เดี๋ยวก็ออกข่าว (ไปทำเหมืองทอง)

I'd translate the ออกข่าว as a news release, but unsure of เดี๋ยวก็ . Since he's reading the newspaper at the time, I'd guess that the translation would be along the lines of THIS JUST IN/BREAKING NEWS

Any other ideas?

I found the link: http://www.thairath.co.th/content/pol/25646

In this case, เดี๋ยวก็ออกข่าวว่า X, นี่ก็ออกข่าวว่า Y...means: "One minute they're reporting X, now they're reporting that Y..."

I suppose it refers to Thaksin and his various ventures. Someone else will have to enlighten us on the โรงน้ำแข็ง reference, though.

aanon

Edited by aanon

I suppose it refers to Thaksin and his various ventures. Someone else will have to enlighten us on the โรงน้ำแข็ง reference, though.

aanon

Do you know the meaning of this idiom "ปั้นน้ำเป็นตัว"? It relates to "โรงน้ำแข็ง " in this cartoon. :)

From คำคล้องจอง:

ปั้นน้ำเป็นตัว - ก. (สำ) โกหก, กุเรื่องขึ้นโดยไม่มีมูลความจริงให้มีให้มีเป็นเรื่องขึ้น, พูดเชื่อถือไม่ได้

Edited by DavidHouston

"One minute they report they will open a gold mine

Now they report they will dig for diamonds"

"Ok boss, what should we do?"

"Open an ice factory"

I don't read the papers as often as I should so I don't get the joke or the reference.

Thanks for the info yoot and david.

I came back to add something further: the party who ออกข่าว could be reporters or Thaksin, I think. So, we could read it as "First they (the reporters) say that..." or "First he (Thaksin) says in the news that...". Given the 'ice factory' reference, I suppose we should go for the latter interpretation.

แก: he (Thaksin)

พี่แก: he, where พี่ is the title and แก is the third person pronoun

Trying to think of a good English equivalent for the โรงน้ำแข็ง reference that doesn't involve faeces. How about "He's going to open a factory producing smoke machines and mirrors" or "He's going into the hot air balloon inflation business"? No, those both suck.

aanon

Thanks for the info yoot and david.

I came back to add something further: the party who ออกข่าว could be reporters or Thaksin, I think. So, we could read it as "First they (the reporters) say that..." or "First he (Thaksin) says in the news that...". Given the 'ice factory' reference, I suppose we should go for the latter interpretation.

แก: he (Thaksin)

พี่แก: he, where พี่ is the title and แก is the third person pronoun

Trying to think of a good English equivalent for the โรงน้ำแข็ง reference that doesn't involve faeces. How about "He's going to open a factory producing smoke machines and mirrors" or "He's going into the hot air balloon inflation business"? No, those both suck.

aanon

Wow! How many great idioms and useful language points in just such a short pieces.

Many thanks to the OP. Would be great if we could keep this thread going with new cartoons, similar to the news stories thread, but the cartoons are a little less labour intensive! This one has been really informative.