Being Searched By Bib - What To Do?

selftaopath

A mate of mine told me a rather frightening experience he had recently. He was walking in Bangkok, and a uniformed police told him to stop. He complied. The police spoke to him in Thai and immediately put his hand in my mate's pockets. This caused a great deal of fear and confusion. It was uncertain if said police would PUT something into his pockets or help himself to the money he found there. What would you do? I'm not sure what I would have done. I am glad my friend did not strongly object - he didn't have too much time to think before the hands were in his pockets. After this the bag he was carrying was searched. I wonder if an X pat ought to call his/her embassy in a situation like this? There is little "rule of law" in Thailand, and as most of us realize the police can do what ever they want - especially to a foreigner. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

It's quite worrying given what could happen. And why do they do it? Is it just westerners?

Friends in the Thai Police force have told me to tell them that if the want to search me to take me to the station and carry out the search there. Although in practice this is much more difficult.

I've never heard of any wrong doing i.e. Planting drugs etc in order to extort money. But given all the other stories we hear about this one can't be far off...

A mate of mine told me a rather frightening experience he had recently. He was walking in Bangkok, and a uniformed police told him to stop. He complied. The police spoke to him in Thai and immediately put his hand in my mate's pockets. This caused a great deal of fear and confusion. It was uncertain if said police would PUT something into his pockets or help himself to the money he found there. What would you do? I'm not sure what I would have done. I am glad my friend did not strongly object - he didn't have too much time to think before the hands were in his pockets. After this the bag he was carrying was searched. I wonder if an X pat ought to call his/her embassy in a situation like this? There is little "rule of law" in Thailand, and as most of us realize the police can do what ever they want - especially to a foreigner. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Suggestion: Avoid Thong-lor District.

This is quite a serious concern, in my opinion. On 3 separate occasions in the last 18 months I have had my taxi stopped (only taxis with farang's were stopped) and then asked to get out and searched. On 2 of the 3 times I have all my pockets searched and was patted down.

It was no problem whatsoever, as I was very nice to the police (and had nothing to hide) and they were friendly to me, but I have heard stories of other people having drugs planted and then asked to pay large amounts of money for the problem to "go away".

I don't know if this is a growing trend, but 3 times seems like a lot to me!

This is quite a serious concern, in my opinion. On 3 separate occasions in the last 18 months I have had my taxi stopped (only taxis with farang's were stopped) and then asked to get out and searched. On 2 of the 3 times I have all my pockets searched and was patted down.

It was no problem whatsoever, as I was very nice to the police (and had nothing to hide) and they were friendly to me, but I have heard stories of other people having drugs planted and then asked to pay large amounts of money for the problem to "go away".

I don't know if this is a growing trend, but 3 times seems like a lot to me!

Looks like its not only confined to westerners, I have British nationality but I am originally from Taiwan so I often get mistaken for Thai, Japanese, Korean etc. I was pulled over a while ago and searched, patted down. My was wallet opened and they searched through that, they even shone a torch into the back of the taxi to see if I had thrown anything under the seats. They were clearly looking for drugs.

At no point did they try and put their hands into my pockets and once it was all done I was sent on my way.

Happened to me a couple of years ago. BIB just opened the taxi door, leaned in and started patting my pockets. Without saying a word he closed the door and waved the taxi on.

Perhaps it's time for somebody to write the Post and have them try to get an official response as to the legality of this, what our rights are, and what we should do in such a situation. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse, but we've all heard so many different stories over the years about what a "friend" has told someone on here, and nobody has pointed to a specific law regarding these stops.

Cheers,

Make sure you hide the drugs well.

Asok Sukhumvit intersection have the BiBs searching taxis with Farang quite often. One night whilst walking past I spotted a guy I knew. Standing outside his taxi being patted down. I aksed him "whats going on" his reply "I have no idea".

So then it was my turn because I dared chat to him. No probs. He was held there until one of his friends brought his passport from his apartment. I was sent on my way after I produced my Thai business card.

It is not only farang I see. Many thai guys and girls on motorbikes being search and some being held in the office with their wrists cable tied.

Same place, gf (thai) is walking past on the way to work. In a bit of a hurry because she is late. Yep, stopped by the BiB searched. She was pissed off and started giving them the what for. Soooo "come in here young lady and piss in this bottle".

We have some thia cop friends from the same station. When we asked them "can they do this etc" answer is "yep just accept it, suck it up". They even thought it was amusing.

Anyways TIT

Had something strange in Thonglor as well a while ago. Was sitting at about 9 pm with a female business partner in a taxi and police stopped us and gave us a lecture for indecent behaviour. :)

Again, that was pure straight business and nothing else, we were not even touching each other.

I told the officer off telling him the story as it is and asked him to apologize to the lady for mistaking her for something she is not.

Been stop a couple of times in the Dindeang area.

Cop asked me to get out of the taxi and when i ask "whats the problem?" they say "body check"

A quick pat down, a salute and a "khob khun khrap" from them and I was on my way.

2nd time, I was with a Ladyboy friend of the missus. Again in the same area, when the LB asked the BiB in the LB style "are you going to frisk me? heeheehee" We were immediately waved on our way.

Personally i dont think they are planting evidence or targeting foreigners. I have seen them pull over Thais.

Cheers,

Suggestion: Avoid Thong-lor District.

why? what is it about THIS district?

Been stop a couple of times in the Dindeang area.

Cop asked me to get out of the taxi and when i ask "whats the problem?" they say "body check"

A quick pat down, a salute and a "khob khun khrap" from them and I was on my way.

2nd time, I was with a Ladyboy friend of the missus. Again in the same area, when the LB asked the BiB in the LB style "are you going to frisk me? heeheehee" We were immediately waved on our way.

Personally i dont think they are planting evidence or targeting foreigners. I have seen them pull over Thais.

:)

On Saturday 8 August I took the bus from Pattaya to Ekamai.

Two minutes after stepping off the bus I was stopped by a

uniformed cop. He patted me down and searched through all

my pockets and bag. All the time he was asking me questions in good english

and in a polite manner. I did notice that several other falangs, who had been on

the same bus as myself, were also being searched. He asked for my passport

which i did not have with me. So I gave him my thai driving licence. He just

looked at it and then said, " Ok thank you." then he walked off to stop another

falang who had just alighted from another bus.

As I was leaving the bus station on my way to the BTS, a german guy told me

they were looking for foreigners carrying drugs, and it was to do with the

aussie guy who was caught with 3Kg's on him at the airport ????

is this still happening at Ekamai ? There was no sign of police searches

at Morchid the same day.

I've seen this happen in Sanam Luang: two policemen on a motorbike stop next to a Thai and frisk him, then they're on there way - 30 seconds. The Thai didn't argue and the police didn't look like they wanted to be argued with...

If it happened to me I'd be polite, smile and let them get on with it; anything else is asking for trouble...