Permit Necessary Or Not For Foreign Buying Agents?

Is a work permit needed for the following (still hypothetical) activity:

- I live in Thailand on an educational O visa, OR a permanent residency permit

- I will act on behalf of a european company which wants to source products from Thailand

- I will visit the thai companies, explain the needs of the client

- I will negoticate terms of the agreement

- I will inspect goods prior to departure, accept or reject them

thanks for your insights!

What about this one....

Is a work permit needed for the following (still hypothetical) activity:

- I work as a consultant for a European company which wants to source products from Thailand

- I will go to Thailand to visit the Thai companies, explain the needs of the client

- I will negotiate terms of the agreement

- I will return to Thailand to inspect goods prior to departure, accept or reject them

Isn't the above what a lot of customers of Thai exporters do everyday?

Isn't it also what all of the "export fairs" promoted by the Thai government also set up to do?

Are my senerio and that of the OP really all that different? To me it seems like the only difference is the number of days spent in Thailand

Technically you do need a work permit.

Even buying at Export Fairs you should have a WP

though this is more honoured in the breach than in the observance.

You can obtain this under your O visa or PR, there is no need to switch to a B visa

"B" visa is more than enough to do all your business in Thailand and all other countries in the world, unless you have a permanent office or a desk in an office or a company, or if you are earning money from a local establishment in Thailand. No work permit required for buying goods and services for export from Thailand. You can visit companies, factories, exhibitions and negoticate terms of the agreements, inspect goods, and arrange for the shipments without any problem.

Millions of people come to Thailand every year to buy goods and services, so can you imagine if each one need a work permit, how many staff need to be hired for each department involved.

Bishop

"Millions of people come to Thailand every year to buy goods and services, so can you imagine if each one need a work permit, how many staff need to be hired for each department involved."

Those folks are generally known as tourists.

Apples and oranges, but I assume you know that.

hmmm... should I have set this question up as a poll?

Setting up a representative office is overkill and unnecessary, since I won't make any local contracts.

Is there any official function of Thai government where I could send my question to?

yes, I wouldn't even be working for a thai company...

the other question is if I really need a WP for being a buyer

But you would be conducting business (working) in Thailand to support yourself while living in Thailand. If you were to live in Europe and commute to Thailand on a Tourist Visa(s) then the you would not be technically breaking the Thai labor laws and could legally buy all the Thai products you want, as a tourist.

it seems the "representative office" option is no longer valid:

Representative Office

By BSA Law

Background

The Commercial Registration Department is no longer accepting applications for the formation of Representative Offices in Thailand. This is the result of the implementation of the Foreign Business Act of 1999, which has no provision regarding Representative Offices.

A Representative Office formed under the prior Alien Business Law (N.E.C. 281) will be allowed to continue operating for the duration of its license.

A foreign business wishing to have a presence in Thailand may set up a limited liability company registered in Thailand with a majority Thai partner. Another option is to set up a joint venture or consortium, although the latter two approaches are usually limited to cooperation on a single project.

(from http://www.ethailand.com/index.php?id=1770)

And I certainly won't open an LLC just to buy some stuff.

How does one get a business visa when living in Thailand?

Edited by manarak

No work permit required for buying goods and services for export from Thailand. You can visit companies, factories, exhibitions and negoticate terms of the agreements, inspect goods, and arrange for the shipments without any problem.

Millions of people come to Thailand every year to buy goods and services, so can you imagine if each one need a work permit, how many staff need to be hired for each department involved.

Bishop

This is not correct - if you are Residing in Thailand and earning money through activities here you are working and need a Work Permit.

Some leeway is unofficially allowed to - for example - Representatives of foreign Companies who come here to visit Contract Manufacturers, man Booths at Trade Fairs etc. but this does not apply in your case.

Certainly there is a fair chance that the Labour Department would never find out ............. unless in the course of your work you upset someone and they report you to both the Labour Department and - more critically - the Revenue Departnment (since you will not have been paying Thai Income Tax on what you earned). You can expect major problems from both Departments.

In the sort of venture you are considering I think it is more than likely that at some stage, sooner rather than later, you will indeed upset a local Thai manufacturer - by rejecting goods because they fail to meet your Quality Standards for example.

Patrick