Registering Babys Birth

Forkinhades

My FIRST baby is due in about 4 weeks, and I need to know how, and where I can register the birth, or even if there are any agents that do it for you in Pattaya? (silly question for thailand really, just want a good reasonably cheap agent :))

My FIRST baby is due in about 4 weeks, and I need to know how, and where I can register the birth, or even if there are any agents that do it for you in Pattaya? (silly question for thailand really, just want a good reasonably cheap agent :))

Registering in Thailand, or for UK, or where?

If you are a UK citizen, you can register on-line at the British Embassy web-site.

(Which is more than you can do for your marriage - that is only 'noted' not officially registered)

^^What? You are fobbing off your first-born's birth rego on a dodgy local agent? All these stories of baby's being given the wrong name, parents name and nationality wrong and even the gender mis-stated and you STILL want to let the locals do it?

Maybe they will take care of the diaper changes and feeding too?

^ I don't think you can register births on-line at their website. You can register YOURSELF as being in Thailand and that's about it. Think about it. How are you going to prove the baby's existence online? They need to see the local paper trail.

Registering the birth is 'optional' anyway. Doesn't really do anything apart from give you a UK-issued birth certificate and lighten your wallet. From the UK Embassy BKK's website, "Birth registration is not compulsory, but we recommend it." At almost B13,000 a throw, I BET they recommend it!

Why would you want to register your Thai marriage in the UK anyway? It's not going to grease any wheels IMHO. From the UK Embassy BKK's website, "This not a legal obligation and has no bearing on the validity or otherwise of the marriage."

Note to the OP though; make very, VERY sure that the YOUR name is correctly translated and consistently spelled correctly when they translate it to Thai at the hospital (that is where the birth certificate is created). If you have any other official documents that have the Thai translation of your name, such as an affidavit of Freedom To Marry, your marriage certificate or some other officially recognized translation, make sure the nurse doing the birth certificate has this. If you don't have such, you have the time to get that sorted out and get a 'notarized' translation of your name before the event.

There's a few true stories about casual translations that differ by the slightest character or accent being rejected when other important documents are applied for such as ID cards and passports. Saves a hassle down the road.

I hope you have a great time as a father. Your life as you have known it is coming to an end!

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew