Ordnance Survey Map

Hi there,

I am frequently walking over and around Koh Samui and would be interested in finding some new routes. I would therefore be interested in purchasing an ordnance survey map of Koh Samui. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I'm likely to find one :) ?

I would therefore be interested in purchasing an ordnance survey map of Koh Samui.

I don't understand the replies. This chap must be looking for some sort of map showing where the weapons or bombs are:

Ordnance. "1 a: military supplies including weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and maintenance tools and equipment b: a service of the army charged with the procuring, distributing, and safekeeping of ordnance. 2: cannon , artillery" - Merriam-Webster dictionary.

I'd like to see one of those maps myself.

I would therefore be interested in purchasing an ordnance survey map of Koh Samui.

I don't understand the replies. This chap must be looking for some sort of map showing where the weapons or bombs are:

Ordnance. "1 a: military supplies including weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and maintenance tools and equipment b: a service of the army charged with the procuring, distributing, and safekeeping of ordnance. 2: cannon , artillery" - Merriam-Webster dictionary.

As far as I know Ordnance Survey Maps are the name of the british service for the topographic map. Without go to the Webster dictionary, most of people knows.

Think he means Ordinance survey map which is very detailed and shows topography. Would also be interested to know if something similar is produced in Thailand but have never seen anything remotely close.

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its sarcasm is subtle.

The Ordnance Survey was originally a military survey of the Scottish Highlands in 1747.

So the word "ordnance" is used correctly in the original map, but though the years the military nature of the map evolved into a civilian cartography.

Think he means Ordinance survey map which is very detailed and shows topography. Would also be interested to know if something similar is produced in Thailand but have never seen anything remotely close.

I agree. I have not found anything comparable to the UK Ordnance Survey charts. They are contactable and very helpful. The most accurate maps I have found are the American ONC series which can be obtained from the Thai Marine department. Unfortunately the scale is 1:1000000.

Might be worth having a look at the Jeppesen products, although they are GPS orientated.

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its sarcasm is subtle.

The Ordnance Survey was originally a military survey of the Scottish Highlands in 1747.

So the word "ordnance" is used correctly in the original map, but though the years the military nature of the map evolved into a civilian cartography.

Very subtle Mark. You had many of us fooled. :):D

Hi there,

I am frequently walking over and around Koh Samui and would be interested in finding some new routes. I would therefore be interested in purchasing an ordnance survey map of Koh Samui. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I'm likely to find one :) ?

"Ordnance Survey is Great Britain's national mapping agency, providing the most accurate and up-to-date geographic data, relied on by government, business and individuals." [source: www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk]

It was quite clear from the OP what Kipsie was looking for, without the debate on the correct / incorrect usage of the word ordnance! And a reasonable question as well I feel. So what we are looking for is really the equivalent of the above but for Thailand.

Kipsie, myself and a few other girls have beent trying to find an up to date detailed map for a long time now but to no avail. 'Up to date' is the key phrase here as the roads / tracks up in the mountains are growing at an alarming rate. Many times we go up there discover a new track that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

Google Earth did seem to be a good solution, and we have already plotted a number of different walks using it as you can see even the tiniest of tracks that probably wouldn't appear on a map anyway. But as already mentioned in a previous post, it was a cloudy day when the aerial photographs were taken and we are struggling with the central island area and across to Nathon. And yes, it is now out of date.

So in the absence of a detailed and recent map, what we could really do with is some recent aerial shots (preferably on a clear day!) Would anybody have any ideas where we could find something like this? Do you know anyone who might have some of these and would be willing to sell us some prints?

Many thanks

Kate

"Ordnance Survey is Great Britain's national mapping agency, providing the most accurate and up-to-date geographic data, relied on by government, business and individuals." [source: www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk]

It was quite clear from the OP what Kipsie was looking for, without the debate on the correct / incorrect usage of the word ordnance! And a reasonable question as well I feel. So what we are looking for is really the equivalent of the above but for Thailand.

Kipsie, myself and a few other girls have beent trying to find an up to date detailed map for a long time now but to no avail. 'Up to date' is the key phrase here as the roads / tracks up in the mountains are growing at an alarming rate. Many times we go up there discover a new track that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

Google Earth did seem to be a good solution, and we have already plotted a number of different walks using it as you can see even the tiniest of tracks that probably wouldn't appear on a map anyway. But as already mentioned in a previous post, it was a cloudy day when the aerial photographs were taken and we are struggling with the central island area and across to Nathon. And yes, it is now out of date.

So in the absence of a detailed and recent map, what we could really do with is some recent aerial shots (preferably on a clear day!) Would anybody have any ideas where we could find something like this? Do you know anyone who might have some of these and would be willing to sell us some prints?

Many thanks

Kate

Try 'Helicam' they may have some pics. There is also an aerial photography company in Bangkok which might be worth a try, but likely to be pricey.

Try 'Helicam' they may have some pics. There is also an aerial photography company in Bangkok which might be worth a try, but likely to be pricey.

Thank you Gatorade, that's a good lead. Didn't now about Helicam. I've just fired off an email. But ...yikes! You're right, certainly looks a bit pricey on the website! Just hoping they've got stock.

I agree. I have not found anything comparable to the UK Ordnance Survey charts. They are contactable and very helpful. The most accurate maps I have found are the American ONC series which can be obtained from the Thai Marine department. Unfortunately the scale is 1:1000000.

Might be worth having a look at the Jeppesen products, although they are GPS orientated.

I have four ONC maps in front of me now, they are 1:500,000, but are also old, dating from 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1970, although they are marked as "air information current through dd mm 1989". I forget where I bought them, someplace on the internet about 5 years ago.

These maps are also marked "Civil users may purchase NIMA products by ordering them from the following address:

NOAA Distribution Branch (N/ACC3)

National Ocean Service

Riverdale, MD 20737-1199"

so that might be worth chasing also.

I was in the amphur here in Chok Chai a while back and saw a pretty decent topo map on the wall. But I did not get a chance to ask anyone where I could find one.

katyb:

Many times we go up there discover a new track that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

And isn't that great? I used to do that outside Taipei. Only there you'd find roads you didn't know existed and often with great results -- good ride and nice surroundings.

Why do you need a detailed map? The island is so small that it doesn't take long to "map it out" on the bike yourself. I mean you'll never get lost here, so enjoy the discoveries...

Many thanks

Kate

Google Earth images of Koh Samui are for the most part dated 2004. Google Earth have a facility to report images more than 3 years old and/or cloud obscured - perhaps if enough of us do this they might be persuaded to do something about it. The same function can be used to report images obscured by cloud which is also the case with Koh Samui.

The link is https://earth.google.com/support/bin/reques...type=data" and you can chose which option you are reporting.

edit: url corrected

Edited by SamuiRes

Google Earth images of Koh Samui are for the most part dated 2004. Google Earth have a facility to report images more than 3 years old and/or cloud obscured - perhaps if enough of us do this they might be persuaded to do something about it. The same function can be used to report images obscured by cloud which is also the case with Koh Samui.

The link is https://earth.google.com/support/bin/reques...type=data" and you can chose which option you are reporting.

edit: url corrected

That's great, thank you. Didn't know about this. I've emailed them and asked if an update is possible. I will send the link to the girls and ask them to do the same.

Kate

katyb:
Many times we go up there discover a new track that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

And isn't that great? I used to do that outside Taipei. Only there you'd find roads you didn't know existed and often with great results -- good ride and nice surroundings.

Why do you need a detailed map? The island is so small that it doesn't take long to "map it out" on the bike yourself. I mean you'll never get lost here, so enjoy the discoveries...

Mark, you are absolutely right. It is great. And discovering new paths and cut throughs is one of the reasons we do it. It always makes me laugh when people say Samui is finished and it's just a tourist trap. These people clearly never leave the coast! One of the things that I find truly amazing about this island is what's hidden inside that so many people don't ever get to see. And long may it continue! Haha!

But ..... we can go up there for 6 or 7 hours exploring...and on foot (we don't have motorbikes). And many of the places we go you would have to be very brave to take a motorbike anyway. We never see farangs up there on bikes, only Thais and we are always astonished how they manage it! Almost as astonished as they are to see a group of farang women walking up there!

So, we are on foot, and we have mappped quite a lot of the area around Maenam, down to Lamai and across to Nathon (in fact we tag our walks sometimes) but we would like to look more at the west of the island now beyond Nathon. So a map showing the concrete roads would be a good starting point for us so we can discover some link ups in between. I know it's only a small island but believe me, after 7 hours "discovering" you sometimes wish you had even a basic idea of which way to go to find a route that goes down!

We have a motto - You can't be lost if you didn't know where you were going in the first place! Hmmmm.... it's somehow not as amusing now as it was in the beginning....