The Worst (drivers) Spot

2long

It's quite simple;

The spot on the road (not the stretch of road) where you experience the worst driving. here in LOS it includes everything... ignorance, danerous driving, bad queueing, not letting people in, not indicating and basically driving like w8nkers!

Mine is probably not the worst in Thailand, but it is for me....

The U-Turn where Baromaratchachonani Road begins. (those doing a u-turn for Central Pinklao.)

Post yours here and get all those bad feelings out!

It's not a spot on the road but a driving behavior that affects a spot in my psyche, sending me off the deep end:

When Thai drivers blow by me at breakneck speed (I'm on a motorcycle) within 8-12 inches of my bike and body.

Example: One time I was making a left turn onto a soi, when a guy on another motorcycle screamed by me ON MY LEFT--in the little space (about 1 meter) between me and the soi. He actually clipped my turning front tire, but I remained upright, miraculously.

This behavior scares the devil out of me, but then I feel like the devil. Have chased a few down (in my moment of anger) and gave them a verbal bashing once I caught them. Been lucky none of them had a gun, knife, or black belt. I don't do that much any more. They, however, continue their brinksmanship style of driving.

Sorry, but I've to name a stretch of road. On the way from Nong Bua Lam Phu to Udon Thani, there's a stretch of road that I call the 9kms from hel_l. On either end of that stretch is a 4-lane highway that drops down to 2 on that 9kms. Scooters ride on the right and the wrong side all the time. Overladen 26-wheel trucks drop to 30kph going up hills, and can easily cause a back-up of 30 cars. So what with the scooters in both (wrong) directions, harried and hurried motorists who pass without indicators or without a snowball's chance of making it through and push their way back into line, the number of accidents is horrendous. I make the drive every one to two weeks, and get very tired of body bags in the middle of the road. Yup, it's usually scooters, though there have been some spectacular head-ons and clips as well. Last week, there were two demolished/crushed scooters in the road, their riders on the side of the road, one with a gashed head, the other not moving. I don't mind the inconvenience of taking more time, or even being run off the road by an inept wanna-be passer. But I'm sick so of the carnage. What a waste of lives! For those who don't know the area, there's no drive-around available.

Blind bends, blind hills, stretches of road that are long but barely 3 vehicles wide, and maneuvers that involve turning left or right, or going straight on, red flashing lights that in reality mean nothing just like most light signals here....... from the second the engine starts you need 100% concentration.

But if you want me to point out an exact spot, it's 70km long and it is numbered 359.

The stretch of dual carriageway between Ban Pai and Khon Kaen on Mitraparp Highway at night. I'm usually on the way back from Bangkok so a little tired. No street lights once you're out of population, oncoming 10 wheelers on full beam, locals riding motorcycles the wrong way towards you with no lights and also crossing the dual carriageway in front of you again without lights. Nightmare trying to discern whether that black shadow in front of you crossing left to right is a motorcycle or a figment of your imagination. Not forgetting the Chan Tours double deckers/ Toyota Commuter minivans up your arse pedal to the metal or the articulated lorry veering into your lane just as you're overtaking it.

My stress-spot is actually a stretch of road between the Malaysian and Burmese border.

:D:D

That would be stressful seeing as the borders don't come within 400km of each other. Presumably you mean all the roads in Southern Thailand between Malaysia and Myanmar?

:) someone may have missed something here!

Blind bends, blind hills, stretches of road that are long but barely 3 vehicles wide, and maneuvers that involve turning left or right, or going straight on, red flashing lights that in reality mean nothing just like most light signals here....... from the second the engine starts you need 100% concentration.

But if you want me to point out an exact spot, it's 70km long and it is numbered 359.

I agree you need 100% concentration all the time. But you think hiway 359 is particularly stressful? I've been driving that road since before it was fully finished and for a two lane highway it’s really not all that bad. Has wide shoulders (to dodge the oncoming passing cars :) ), long straights that make it easy to pass the slow trucks :D , and not a lot of side traffic.

Anyway, to make you feel better as the only remaing two lane strech between Aranyaprathet and metropolitan Bangkok it is on the ADB's list to be upgraded to 4 lane divided. Of course it is going to be a mess during that construction if they ever get it started. :D

TH