Moving Into A Rented Condo

We are moving into a rented condo next week. Overall I am quite pleased with it. Huge! While the furniture is a bit dated it is very comfortable and they did a remarkable job getting the condo ready for us. So clean as to be amazing! But a couple of questions that perhaps someone here has also experienced in Thailand.

1. Refrigerator: Although it looks really clean, quite an unpleasant odor. Very unpleasant. Any suggestions as to how to clean the interior that might take care of that problem. What do you think would happen if I offered to buy a new one?

2. Air Conditioning: In the States in the summer months we leave it on 24/7, the logic being that keeping it on even when not home is less expensive than turning it off when out and then re-cooling the whole house when you return. What about here? What do you all do? This particular unit appears to have one major cooling system for the living room, dining room, and one bedroom, and then separate smaller units (not window units) for two bedrooms.

1. Clean out the fridge with a strong mixture of vinegar and water. Then put a fridge deodorizer in.

2. If you want to waste lots of energy and money, sure, leave the airco on all the time. I use electric fans only. Saves an amazing amount of money (for Thailand).

Edited by lothda

2. Air Conditioning: In the States in the summer months we leave it on 24/7, the logic being that keeping it on even when not home is less expensive than turning it off when out and then re-cooling the whole house when you return. What about here? What do you all do? This particular unit appears to have one major cooling system for the living room, dining room, and one bedroom, and then separate smaller units (not window units) for two bedrooms.

Just budget over Bt12k a month on electric bill if you prefer to leave the large air-con unit turned on 24/7.

Have a look at the "Mr. Muscle" range of cleaning products for cleaning yr fridge.

I use a vanilla based fridge deodoriser/cleaner I brought from Aus...... I haven't seen a similar product here.

The vinegar solution sounds good. :D

Leave one small aircon on in the bedroom so that you have one cool room to come home to.

My A/C power bill is more than my rent. :D

Good luck with yr new digs. :)

Personally I would tell the landlord to sort it out or buy you a new one.

I am not an aircon addict, mine are on about twice a week, but I would imagine leaving them on is going to cost a helluva lot. Also do you know your electricity charges? In condos it is generally alot more expensive as the building owner tags on a commission.

I am not an aircon addict, mine are on about twice a week, but I would imagine leaving them on is going to cost a helluva lot. Also do you know your electricity charges? In condos it is generally alot more expensive as the building owner tags on a commission.

I think you have mistaken. There is no building owner for condos, only individual owners, each holding their respective ownership titles.

Only apartment units belong to one building owner.

Electricity charges in most condos are billed directly by MEA.

Do any of the rooms have ceiling fans?

When I bought my condo I did a total renovation job including installation of good quality ceiling fans (I don't mean 'designer' models with lights etc etc. just good quality), each unit was less than 1,000Baht. Installed two in living room (now sorry didn't install three) plus one fan in each bedroom. Electricity consumption is very low.

Installation was quick and easy, after original ceiling was gutted, before new celing was installed.

We now rarely turn the A/C on in the living room. If we do it's generally for 30 minutes then off. We do use the A/C all night in the bedrooms during hottest months, but ceiling fans seem to be quite enough in other months. Maximum electric bill is about 3,500Baht (hottest months).

Perhaps worth negotiating with your landlord for ceiling fans, perhaps even offer to pay for the fans if landlord will pay for installation or something similar.

If you discuss new air-conditioners with landlord suggest you push towards 'Inverter', or 'Econo' models or similar, they do cut electricity consumption. Perhaps ask landlord to quote a budget then top up with some addditional funds yourself to get energy saving models.

Hope your happy in your new home.

This particular unit appears to have one major cooling system for the living room, dining room, and one bedroom, and then separate smaller units (not window units) for two bedrooms.

Hopefully. the big unit is not serving the master bedroom as well, else, you will be cooling the living and dining areas while asleep... :)

Perhaps worth negotiating with your landlord for ceiling fans, perhaps even offer to pay for the fans if landlord will pay for installation or something similar.

Ceiling fans should only be installed to ceiling that is at least 2.6m above the floor. Many new condos do not have more than 2.5m.

Find out if it is classed as a condo, I suspect not. If an apartment then the owner can charge what he likes per unit of electricity and water.

My old place was 7baht per unit electric, and 17 for water.

Now I own a place, Government rate for electric (half what I used to pay), and water is about 15baht.

Used the vinegar solution in the fridge then get a lime and cut it in half and leave in the fridge until it is completely dry then add another. Limes are only about 1baht each!!!

Edited by beano2274

I think the place is probably classed as an apartment. At any rate, good news in that although they had supposedly finished preparing it for our moving in, in reality they continue to update the cleaning. When I arrived to move in some kitchen stuff yesterday, the refrigerator was much, much improved. I think the lime option is all I'll need now, or perhaps the baking powder, or both, but none of the more agressive approaches. Thanks for all the suggestions, however...all filed away for future reference!