Train To Laos

js1

Hey all...

I'm planning to head up to Vientiane at the end of the month to get a new non-b. Does anyone have any accurate prices for train tickets if i were to just turn up at the station in BKK and book. I'd check myself, but i live in Phuket.

I'm interested in prices for 1st class and 2nd class air-con for the Bangkok to Nong Khai route.

I've found a website where I can book online for the 2nd class air-con, the prices charged via the site are B758 (lower) and B688 (upper). I would book at these prices, but the mate I'm going to go with insists that if i book at the station, the first class prices are just a few Baht more? Any info please? I've searched the net with no joy.

Hey all...

I'm planning to head up to Vientiane at the end of the month to get a new non-b. Does anyone have any accurate prices for train tickets if i were to just turn up at the station in BKK and book. I'd check myself, but i live in Phuket.

I'm interested in prices for 1st class and 2nd class air-con for the Bangkok to Nong Khai route.

I've found a website where I can book online for the 2nd class air-con, the prices charged via the site are B758 (lower) and B688 (upper). I would book at these prices, but the mate I'm going to go with insists that if i book at the station, the first class prices are just a few Baht more? Any info please? I've searched the net with no joy.

www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

Hey all...

I'll answer this for you as i have just done the trip only 2 weeks ago.

Online you can ever only book 2nd class...1st class is never available and looks fully booked.

You need to go to a main train station and book at the ticket office..

B1400 per person one way for 1st class cabin.

I prefer first class...your own sink..toilets that are reasonable...even a shower in the one toilet cubicle.. and no coughing or noisy kids...very relaxing...

tip... #1 get to Nong Khai and take the train across the border to thaladaeng....the immigration is so much faster the the bridge...

taxi from thaladaeng B100 baht each you need 6 of ya per minivan...

Hey all...

I'll answer this for you as i have just done the trip only 2 weeks ago.

Online you can ever only book 2nd class...1st class is never available and looks fully booked.

You need to go to a main train station and book at the ticket office..

B1400 per person one way for 1st class cabin.

I prefer first class...your own sink..toilets that are reasonable...even a shower in the one toilet cubicle.. and no coughing or noisy kids...very relaxing...

tip... #1 get to Nong Khai and take the train across the border to thaladaeng....the immigration is so much faster the the bridge...

taxi from thaladaeng B100 baht each you need 6 of ya per minivan...

while I like train rides in general (particularly the scenic ride from Jakarta to Bandung in Java), I wouldn't want to pay more for a 12-hours train ride than for a flight that delivers me to my destination in just 60 minutes. AirAsia usually charges 990 THB to Udon if u book 2 weeks in advance or so, and even flights to Udon on THAI AIR can be had for as low as 1.500 THB nowadays. from there u can take the Bus straight into Vientiane (okay, I admit, that's another 90 minutes then)