Anzac Day Dawn Service At Hellfire Pass (kanchanaburi)

Stekmer

I am planning on attending the dawn service at Hellfire Pass on ANZAC Day 2010.

My intention was to get to Kanchanaburi on the 24th of April and to then arrange a Songthaew to take me to Hellfire Pass on the morning of the 25th and wait for me until after the service and perhaps stop off at some other places of interest to make a full day of it.

The only information I have been able to find so far is for package tours to Hellfire Pass for the dawn service.

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for the dawn service?

Can I just turn up or to I need to make prior arrangements?

Thanks in advance.

I am planning on attending the dawn service at Hellfire Pass on ANZAC Day 2010.

My intention was to get to Kanchanaburi on the 24th of April and to then arrange a Songthaew to take me to Hellfire Pass on the morning of the 25th and wait for me until after the service and perhaps stop off at some other places of interest to make a full day of it.

The only information I have been able to find so far is for package tours to Hellfire Pass for the dawn service.

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for the dawn service?

Can I just turn up or to I need to make prior arrangements?

Thanks in advance.

Contact the Defence Attache at the Australian Embassy.

You can just turn up.

This year the dawn service was at Hellfire Pass at 5.30am. you don't need a booking. Given the layout, though, you will need to be there early if you want any kind of view. Coffee was provided afterwards.

The morning service was at 10.45am, at the War Cemetery. The area is much larger, so you can arrive at the last moment, and still have plenty of room. Beer and softdrinks were provided afterwards.

The hotels seem to fill up very quickly.

There are riverside hotels in Sai yok that provide a very reasonable car service to the dawn service, and they collect you after lunch, it works fine for me and the wife as we are both disabled, there is usually a bit of an impromptu get together in the evenings too :)

I am gunna try and be there in 2010 as well.

I missed this year but I may try 11/11 as it is a good time as well.

Have bee th Kanchanaburi many times and it is a great get away from Pats!

Plenty of other things to do as well. River boats, train ride, tiger temple, Chinese Temples, Museums etc!

My first visit this 2009 Anzac Day. Big mix up with resorts and bookings because Peung Wan resort has one facility on the river not too far from Hellfire Pass and another in Kanchanaburi. Long story short, stayed night of 24th near Hellfire Pass and shared a resort organized mini van with some other guests to the service in the morning. Worked well except for the bunch of banker johnnies that didn't pay. Better to be early. Stayed next nights in Kanchanaburi.

Be warned public transport is not readily available or cheap. We were ripped off left, right and center everything we tried to do and everywhere we tried to go. Even a couple of minute cyclo ride or motorcycle taxi was a couple of hundred Baht. Better to try and share some transport, plenty of opportunities I think, if you ask.

The service and organization is very well done, a credit to all parties involved. But even in the 'cool' of the morning, there was lots of adults needed treatment for heat exhaustion. Man....those POW's, what they went through!

Thanks for the replies.

I stayed in The River Kwai Hotel the last time I was there and was planning on staying there again (walking distance to night food area and the river etc) and will now explore options for organised transport.

Does anyone know if there are any local bars (eg Red Kangaroo Bar) have a mini van to Hellfire pass for dawn service??

On my last visit I walked about 2 Km along the tracks at Hellfire pass with the audio kit from the Museum – very moving experience.

Thanks again for the replies :-)

Edited by Stekmer

Every year a group of ex Aussie Navy guys goes, we always stay at Phong Phen Guest house in Kanchanaburi and arrange as many mini buses as we need to get up for the dawn sevice, the Phong Phen resort is very pleasant with great expat friendly staff, good food and the rate is about 700/night for the cabin or 400/night for motel type room. PM me closer to the date for details of our departure from Bangkok and if there is room we would be happy to take you along. LEST WE FORGET.

Thanks for the replies.

I stayed in The River Kwai Hotel the last time I was there and was planning on staying there again (walking distance to night food area and the river etc) and will now explore options for organised transport.

Does anyone know if there are any local bars (eg Red Kangaroo Bar) have a mini van to Hellfire pass for dawn service??

On my last visit I walked about 2 Km along the tracks at Hellfire pass with the audio kit from the Museum – very moving experience.

Thanks again for the replies :-)

Yeah, Red Kangaroo or The Four Nines as it's called now normally arrange transport for anybody wanting to attend the dawn service up at Hellfire Pass. Just ask the Scottish landlord Gordon.

• 1 month later...

I've done this a few times, and for me, the best way was to hire a motorcycle in K'buri and ride out the night before. You'll need to book accommodation well ahead. On the morning, it's only a short ride down to Hellfire Pass.

After the service, a trek along the old railway bed is interesting if you haven't done it before. You can cover about 5 Kms before the going gets rough. That's 5 out and five back with a killer climb up the steps or boardwalk to finish off the walk, and you.

After the service and a walk, I then head for Sangklaburi, another 3+ hours west. It's a great spot for two nights stay. P Guest House down on the lake is a cool place to hang out, and if you don't want to pay B90 for a large beer, jump on your bike and head up the street less than a kilometre to the mini market where it's about 23.

There are plenty of petrol stations on the road now and a few places you can stop off if you're sick of riding.

Edited by F4UCorsair

You can easily do it all yourself...

Normal Government Bus to Kan,

Accommodation is available, tho you need to book ahead a bit...

Van to HF Pass from the bar, or organise it with a local the day before... all easy to find, and plenty of people there...

I actually found the 10am (or is it 11am) service in the war cemetary in town to be much more emotional for me...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Hi all,

Was there 2 months ago. You can no longer walk very far along the track due to danger of falling rocks. I think from the bottom of the stairs you can only go 1km or less. Can still get to Hellfire pass and it is well worth it.

I drove from Kanchanabri, 80kms one way and an easy drive.

We stayed at the Duineshine Resort in a floating house. Out of town though and you will need your own transport.

If you have the cash I would recomend the "Felix River Resort"

I wouldn't fancy going in April though, you are going to sweat your nuts off.

• 5 months later...

a report from the Felix Hotel...just here with the thai family in three rooms, about 12k baht including ++ for two nights booked thru agoda.com...good quality rooms and room service, western food not bad and the kids love the swimming pools; it's their treat fer completing another year at school...a large garden layout and very quiet...

but it's a bit isolated and may be a prob for those without their own transport...I got the tutsimobile an' can be ferried around so I don't worry...

the folks are about to depart to the safari park about 25km north, I'll report later on the basis of their observations...me, I'm just gonna hang at the hotel an' drink on de balcony an' think of further outrageous things to post on thaivisa...

all the best :)

a report from the Felix Hotel...just here with the thai family in three rooms, about 12k baht including ++ for two nights booked thru agoda.com...good quality rooms and room service, western food not bad and the kids love the swimming pools; it's their treat fer completing another year at school...a large garden layout and very quiet...

but it's a bit isolated and may be a prob for those without their own transport...I got the tutsimobile an' can be ferried around so I don't worry...

the folks are about to depart to the safari park about 25km north, I'll report later on the basis of their observations...me, I'm just gonna hang at the hotel an' drink on de balcony an' think of further outrageous things to post on thaivisa...

all the best :D

There are some much better priced places in and around Kanchanaburi than The Felix, although I agree it is a nice resort.

I'd recommend Xanadu2008 as a very well priced place to stay, a good location by the river, although a little out of town at Nong Bua. The food is excellent, and the resort is nicely laid out, clean and modern. Restaurant and swimming pool, but also the place is well run and has a personal touch.

BTW, The Safari Park is a little unfinished - but The Giraffes are cool. :)

^ to update, the folks never did go to safari park...they went down to the river instead and splashed about...they dropped me off at the No Name Bar where I drank a couple of Leos an' ogled the serving girl (how do they manage to get into them tight jeans?)...got a sidecar motorcycle taxi back to the Felix...

we're at home now and it was a nice short break, and, judging by the kids' faces, a good time was had by all...better than the beach...recommended...

We rode by the War Cemetery...hard to believe that there was so much suffering and death in such a nice place...

For Kanchanaburi hotels just see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g29792...uri-Hotels.html

And for things to do while you're here see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g...nchanaburi.html

See you at the 11 a.m. ceremony at the main cemetary, always moving (though a little too much religion and VIPs) Highpoint is always the speech made by surviving POWs, forgive maybe, forget never. The old boys sure have fire in the belly still.

If your wanting to make a full day of it you may be better off to hire a private car with driver, this could then take you out to the dawn service, and you could say go on to the hot springs afterwards and enjoy a dip, visit Thong Pha Phum and on the way back stop off say at Sai Yok waterfall, visit and feed the wild monkeys, an elephant Korral etc etc, there is lots to do and see to fill in a day, having a private car will cost approx 2500 baht but at least you can go anywhere when you want to and stop as long and as little as you like. Tours of course are cheaper but they keep to a tight schedual and may not fit in with what you want to do, if you need help with this pm me.

• 2 weeks later...