Divorce In Thailand

KevinBloodyWilson

As I understand it, if a marriage between a Thai and a foreigner was done in UK and both are now living apart and want to divorce in Thailand, and if the marriage was never registered in Thailand, then Thai courts can hear the case under something called 'harmonisation of law".

Anyone know what this is? I asked one of the sponsor firms for TV and got 3 completely different and mutually exclusive answers in 3 consecutive minutes. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by incompetence, after all, TiT and incompetence is both a national pastime and a badge of honour, but there is a limit to all things and I would have expected lawyers (even Thai lawyers) to actually KNOW something about what the Thai law is. Silly me.

Can anyone explain what this harmonisation of law is and how a divorce under the conditions described is likely to proceed?

Cheers

Kev

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

As I understand it, if a marriage between a Thai and a foreigner was done in UK and both are now living apart and want to divorce in Thailand, and if the marriage was never registered in Thailand, then Thai courts can hear the case under something called 'harmonisation of law".

Anyone know what this is? I asked one of the sponsor firms for TV and got 3 completely different and mutually exclusive answers in 3 consecutive minutes. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by incompetence, after all, TiT and incompetence is both a national pastime and a badge of honour, but there is a limit to all things and I would have expected lawyers (even Thai lawyers) to actually KNOW something about what the Thai law is. Silly me.

Can anyone explain what this harmonisation of law is and how a divorce under the conditions described is likely to proceed

Kev

You marry in the UK and you must divorce in the UK

thai court will not do this

Can anyone explain what this harmonisation of law is and how a divorce under the conditions described is likely to proceed

Kev

You marry in the UK and you must divorce in the UK

thai court will not do this

Yes, someone else told me that too. I wish I could find a way to tell the court that has accepted the case and sent it to mediation... (during which, by the way, the mediating judge asked me why on earth I expected the Thai judicial system to be fair or impartial... I thought that was an interesting question for a judge to ask).

Is there a way I can ask the court to refuse the case on the basis that the marriage is not registered in Thailand? is there a precedent or a law? Is the Thai judicial system even interested in precedent or law? What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks for the response...

Kev