My Vacation To Cm - Warning: Long Post

coolxten

Hi, in December I'll be going to Chiang mai for 2 months. I love to travel, and thinking about this trip helps me get through the week. I'm 27 and still early in my career, and so money isn't exactly piling up, although I have some money saved for the trip. I'm having some friends visit through my stay, but I'll be doing this pretty much on my own. I enjoy adventure and the purpose of this trip is really just to relax and character build. I've been to Thailand 3 times before, but mostly Bangkok, and doing touristy stuff. With the above in mind, can you help me answer some questions.

I would like to live on Nimmanhemin Road or around that area. My per month budget is 10k Baht for rent, water and hydro, and internet. Is this reasonable? I've checked the listings, but they seem to be slightly above my budget, also most are not for short term stays. I'm mostly concerned for safety (person and belongings) and building cleanliness. I also like quiet, and need air conditioning. Is Hillside 4 out of my price range?

Also, what is a reasonable estimate for staying in a hotel until I can find a place? If I'm paying 1k a night, after 5 nights that's half my rent budget. Is it reasonable to think that if I make it to Chiang Mai early in the morning, I'll be moved into a rental by the evening? Will I have major difficulties since I don't speak Thai? I wouldn't feel comfortable signing a rental agreement in Thai, is this most likely going to be the case?

Right now I'm researching some volunteer opportunities, wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a worth while organization I can help out during my stay. I'm an analyst, with several designations in Human Resources, and a degree in finance. I also like helping people, very open minded, and very independent. If anyone knows of the Myers-Brigg, I'm a pretty accurate INFJ….and if you haven't heard of Myers-Brigg you should consider getting tested.

I'm a health nut…I go to the gym 5-6 times a week to do weight training. I'm not and don't look like a bodybuilder, but I'd like to one day :). I'm considering Powerhouse gym (http://www.powerhousethailand.com/english/). Does anyone know what the monthly rates are? What is the atmosphere there like (eg. Friendly?, lots of heavy lifters?, mostly crowded/empty?, etc.)? Are there many people in Chiang Mai that like to weight train? What near Nimmanhemin Road gyms would you recommend for mainly weight training?....the place would have to have showers, and it would be nice to have tower service.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Not only have I never heard of Myers-Brigg, I don't even know what INFJ stands for. Somehow, I think that a lot of other people are in the same boat. :)

Myers-Brigg is a personality type indicator. It's based on the theory that each person tends towards a certain way of thinking or gathering information. Just like for example if you clasp your hands together your right or left thumb is on top, and one feels more comfortable then the other. Your brain chooses to make one more comfortable so you don't have have to waste time putting thought in to which thumb should go on top. People's personalities are similar. Our personalities tend towards being a certain way so that it's easier to gather or process information.

The Myers-Brigg is a approx. 150 questions that determines your personality type based on 4 areas; Extraversion/Introversion, Sensing/Intuition, Thinking/Feeling, and Judging/Perceiving. After you get your four areas determined, you can read about your personality, how you handle stress, how you should be approached, etc. It's pretty accurate, and lots of corporations use it to help people function as a team. Of the people I know who took the test, we all felt the results were spot on. There's lots of stuff on the internet to read once you find out your "type".

So that's Myers-Brigg in a nutshell.......very interesting stuff.

As you want somewhere quiet to stay then I don't know why you'd want to stay on nimman. There are plenty of apartments in CM for < 10k as long as you are not seeking luxury, which at that budget you will struggle to find in any case. I suggest you negotiate a discount rate with a cheap guesthouse as most apartments carry minimum contracts of 6 months anyway and you won't have to worry about deposits etc.

The Myers-Brigg is a approx. 150 questions that determines your personality type based on 4 areas;...

The Christian Scientists determined my personality type after a similar type of interview. It must have been an unlucky day for all the people taking the test along with me because we all failed! They offered to sell us an opportunity to repair our personalities though which was nice.

OP

There's a lot of cheaper accommodation options here. Try Lanna 3 Serviced Apartments along Huay Kaew Road towards the university. 1 bed, 1 living room on the corner of the building (windows two sides) is/was around 5,500 baht per month.

Edited by Loaded

You do not have enough money. I'd say 20K Baht is the bare minimum for monthly funding.

Can be done, if OP stays in temples... :)

My 10K budget was for housing only. I do expect to pay more for food, and other expenses.

The temple option wouldn't work. I like to sleep in, and the robes I have aren't orange....

10k a month would get you a Deluxe room at Smith Residence.

Room Size 4x8 m. , Bath tub

Air con. Bed ( King sized or Twin Bed), Bed Sets

29" or 25" TV., Refrigerator

Microwave, In room personal safe.

Service Once a week (Bed Sheet, Towel, Clean the room)

*Access to roof top swimming pool, fitness room.

UBC Cable TV 14 channels

Telephone

smoke detector

9,000 a month

add 400 a month for internet access leaving you 600 on water and electric. You will find you dont really need air con in December and January, so should get inside your budget. The fitness room might not be as much as you need, but its there if you want it.

My parents stayed there when they visited and really liked it. I also liked the fact that the food selection was good and good quality at guest house not hotel prices.

Iain

When you do a search on the forum on 'Powerhouse' you can find several opinions on this establishment.

A monthly fee seems to be around 3,000 baht: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Powerhouse-G...p;hl=powerhouse (this thread runs from 2005 to beginning 2009)

Thanks for this. I read the post, but didn't see any recent postings about monthly rates. There was a reply post from 2005 that said it's 3000B for the 1st month and 2000B for the second. Then there was a reply that someone paid 8000B for a year in 2008. That would mean for 3000B more I can have the year?....a bit useless for me, but still a big price difference.

Can any one confirm the current monthly rates?

When you do a search on the forum on 'Powerhouse' you can find several opinions on this establishment.

A monthly fee seems to be around 3,000 baht: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Powerhouse-G...p;hl=powerhouse (this thread runs from 2005 to beginning 2009)

Thanks for this. I read the post, but didn't see any recent postings about monthly rates. There was a reply post from 2005 that said it's 3000B for the 1st month and 2000B for the second. Then there was a reply that someone paid 8000B for a year in 2008. That would mean for 3000B more I can have the year?....a bit useless for me, but still a big price difference.

Coolxten.....

As you should see by now you will get a wide spectrum of answers and advice from this forum... or any other for that matter. You will more than likely just have to come and see what there is. You can get both ends of the range as far as good and bad about any place in Chiang Mai.

Here is just one that I came across by just doing a search...... http://www.theleafchiangmai.com/index.php .... This place is relatively close to town.

Keep in mind that what you physically see will probably not be very close to what you see or read on the internet.

Good Luck!

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Baan Thai, not far up from the lights on the right, used to be around 5k for a 30-odd sq metre room overlooking the mountain. Has a pool in the middle and is clean but maybe tough to get into... hack into Powerhouse WiFi for free internet :)

Veerachai on Thapae soi 2 is ok for an interim place as it's walking distance from the centre and is around 650 baht for the newer block.

City Gym (about 2kms from Nimmanhemin) towards Mae Rim is 500 baht per year membership and 20 baht for sess... or 40 baht per session if no membership. They probably also do monthly rates. Haven't been for couple years but there's a good spread of kit (machines and free weights), the place is clean, and it's tucked away nicely.

Everything searchable :D

Powerhouse lost their lease recently and moved to a new facility across the street. I thought they were overpriced at their old location and did not have enough variety of machines for me. I've heard complaints that the new location is "cramped", but if all you're interested in is free weights, it should be fine. Based on the current economy and complaints I've heard, they may need to offer more discount rates. There are many other gyms in CM. I don't think any are busy before 4:00pm. I'm sure you'll find one to your liking.

You can also find rentals in the Nimmanhaemin area within your budget. Baan Thai on the same street as the Powerhouse Gym has studio apartments for about 6,000 Baht/mo. There's also the new "Dome" on Huay Kaew Road and the Chiang Mai Lodge (not sure if that's the exact name) across the street from the Nakornping Condo. Similar apartments, similar prices. A bigger problem will be availabilityof a short-term rentalat the height of high season.

Baan Thai, not far up from the lights on the right, used to be around 5k for a 30-odd sq metre room overlooking the mountain. Has a pool in the middle and is clean but maybe tough to get into... hack into Powerhouse WiFi for free internet :)

Veerachai on Thapae soi 2 is ok for an interim place as it's walking distance from the centre and is around 650 baht for the newer block.

City Gym (about 2kms from Nimmanhemin) towards Mae Rim is 500 baht per year membership and 20 baht for sess... or 40 baht per session if no membership. They probably also do monthly rates. Haven't been for couple years but there's a good spread of kit (machines and free weights), the place is clean, and it's tucked away nicely.

Everything searchable :D

I just did a search for City Gym but all I come up with is 2 posts by you. Can you be more specific about the location please. Which road is it on?

New studios in Santitam start at 2500 but it's not as central as The Hymen; there is a small gym and pool nearby, and restaurants. Maybe a few places on Huay Kaew are cheap for 2-month stays. and Orchid or Lotus have gyms or pools. But staff at some places don't speak much English.

Here are some other possibilities for inexpensive rooms:

Huay Kaew Residence on Thanon Huay Kaew. Pros: clean, large rooms with balcony and A/C, swimming pool, great location. Cons: piss poor Internet, expensive electric bills, noisy surroundings especially at night. Last I heard, rooms were in the 4-7K range on average. You can rent month to month I think -- not 100% sure about that. I stayed there for a while. It was a pleasant experience.

Sukalchai (sp?) Court on the soi that crosses Huay Kaew accross from the Shell gas station (down that soi at the end). Decent rooms and cheap.

Veerachai Court on Thapae soi 2. Reasonably priced rooms but very noisy at night. Lots of old guys coming home late with bar girls.

I just did a search for City Gym but all I come up with is 2 posts by you. Can you be more specific about the location please. Which road is it on?
Wrap your search keywords in speech marks to narrow it down.

That's because not many know of it :)

Here

head north on the Mae Rim road from the Superhighway. After about 2-300m, turn left at the first set of lights. This road links up with the Canal road and meets up with the route Banana is talking about [which comes from the Superhighway before Wat Jed Yod]. Turn left after about 500m, second soi on the left after about 100m and City Gym is at the end on the right after crossing a small crossroads. You could take anyone of three sois to get to it but the second one goes directly to the gym.

We surveyed several serviced apartments recently as temporary accomodation for new staff on similar budget. Baan Thai was available at about 5K. Others that might work and were available (some mentioned already):

The Dome

D.D. Park (Seemed very good value)

Chiangmai Pacific mansion

View Doi mansion

Another excellent new place was off Nimanhemin Soi 17 - don;t recall the name as it was already full :D

There was a thread on condos in Santitham (mentioned previously) a few months back (do a search), names that spring to mind are the Emporium and Noppakao place.

For gyms Fitness Thailand at Ikon square used to have good weights but I haven't been there in a while, have heard mixed reports recently though.

It might not be in the area that you are going to stay but the fitness centre in the Duangtawan Centara Hotel is 1,000 baht per month, unlimited use of gym,sauna etc and swimming pool.

Not only have I never heard of Myers-Brigg, I don't even know what INFJ stands for. Somehow, I think that a lot of other people are in the same boat. :)

I was going to recommend to the OP some volunteer options, but after googling Myer-Brigg I thought the better of it. But then again, belief in such systems might be make a person amenable to working with the Thai citizens who rely more heavily on animistic beliefs.

I was going to recommend to the OP some volunteer options, but after googling Myer-Brigg I thought the better of it. But then again, belief in such systems might be make a person amenable to working with the Thai citizens who rely more heavily on animistic beliefs.

It's ok, I understand you're decision.....it's part of my personality to understand. :D

I don't think it is reasonable to think if you arrive in the morning you will have an apartment by the evening. If you had a car or motorbike and spoke Thai then I think you could do it. I am not saying it is impossible, but it might be wise to look around a bit to see what's here.

There are plenty of guesthouses and hotels, you might be able to negotiate a deal for 2 months. How quiet do you like it? I am in the Nimmanhemin area and it is very noisy around my building. I took the apartment to try it out, but also thinking I may have to move because of the noise. I have been here over a year and the noise doesn't bother me. My rent is under your budget, so places do exist but again the problem is the shortness of your stay. My landlord does rent out for short stays but there are no units with air con available (and I am not giving mine up!) and as I say it is very noisy.

Will you be getting a work permit for your volunteer work?

I don't think it is reasonable to think if you arrive in the morning you will have an apartment by the evening. If you had a car or motorbike and spoke Thai then I think you could do it. I am not saying it is impossible, but it might be wise to look around a bit to see what's here.

There are plenty of guesthouses and hotels, you might be able to negotiate a deal for 2 months. How quiet do you like it? I am in the Nimmanhemin area and it is very noisy around my building. I took the apartment to try it out, but also thinking I may have to move because of the noise. I have been here over a year and the noise doesn't bother me. My rent is under your budget, so places do exist but again the problem is the shortness of your stay. My landlord does rent out for short stays but there are no units with air con available (and I am not giving mine up!) and as I say it is very noisy.

Will you be getting a work permit for your volunteer work?

I didn't think I needed a work permit to volunteer...I guess I would.

Now that I think of it, air conditioning isn't all that important if it's in a great location and under my budget.... When you say noisy, is it during the day or at night? Also what type of noise?.....like traffic or hollering drunk people? Thanks