Intel Processor Speed Problem

Berrybliss

Hi anyone from IT

I need help to troubleshoot my laptop processor speed problem. I've a HP compaq nx6320 which was badly infected with virus. I reformat the hard disk and load the necessary programs in - OS XP Prof SP2. The start up and processing became very slow. When I looked at the system properties, it shows:-

Genuine Intel® CPU

T2300 @ 1.66GHz

982 Mhz, 1.49GB of RAM

I had run virus scan and there is nothing. Why has the processing speed gone down to 982Mhz? Can someone give me a step by step procedure to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Pearl

Nothing to do with a virus. It's Intel Speed Step that slows the CPU down when it's idle on not being heavily used to save your battery and keep the laptop cool. You should be able to manage the speed from the power settings in the control panel, and HP might have some software on their site for your laptop to do the same. The BIOS will should also have some settings for managing Speed Step, which you access when the computer boots by pressing Del, F2, or F10. You should see a message when you power the laptop on that mentions the button that lets you access it, might be called "Setup".

Nothing to do with a virus. It's Intel Speed Step that slows the CPU down when it's idle on not being heavily used to save your battery and keep the laptop cool. You should be able to manage the speed from the power settings in the control panel, and HP might have some software on their site for your laptop to do the same. The BIOS will should also have some settings for managing Speed Step, which you access when the computer boots by pressing Del, F2, or F10. You should see a message when you power the laptop on that mentions the button that lets you access it, might be called "Setup".