New Tsunami Museum

NedKelly

Below is an article about a new tsunami museum and tourist attraction.........good taste or bad ?

Tsunami “theme park" plan condemned

Plans to create a tsunami memorial museum featuring a simulated tidal-wave have been criticised as “inappropriate”.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper, the Tourism Authority of Thailand has announced plans for a museum to commemorate the Boxing Day disaster, along with a “Universal Studios” type of attraction depicting how a tsumani strikes.

Governor Juthamas Siriwani is quoted as saying: “It would firstly educate everyone who comes to Phuket to make them aware of how these kinds of things happen.

"And, at the same time, because tourism is an enjoyable product, we would also like to make the museum more attractive and interesting by making a simulation of a tidal wave. I talked to the architect and they say they are going to make something like that so maybe this will be the next Universal Studios of the tsunamis is Khao Lak.”

Unsurprisingly, the plans have upset some people; Fiona Nott, whose brother was killed in the tsunami, said: “I understand they need to rebuild their communities and economy but to build something like that is not very appropriate.

"If it’s a museum that’s educating people, then that’s really appropriate. But if it’s a theme-park kind of attraction, then that’s just pretty out there.”

Report by Tim Gillett, News From Abroad Ltd

we would also like to make the museum more attractive and interesting by making a simulation of a tidal wave. I talked to the architect and they say they are going to make something like that so maybe this will be the next Universal Studios of the tsunamis is Khao Lak.”

Silly Moo.

Governor Juthamas Siriwani is quoted as saying: “It would firstly educate everyone who comes to Phuket to make them aware of how these kinds of things happen.

"And, at the same time, because tourism is an enjoyable product, we would also like to make the museum more attractive and interesting by making a simulation of a tidal wave.

someone needs to educate HER about what the words CRASS, INSENSITIVE, BLUNDERING, INANE, TACTLESS, and STUPID mean....

:o

"And, at the same time, because tourism is an enjoyable product, we would also like to make the museum more attractive and interesting by making a simulation of a tidal wave.

someone needs to educate HER about what the words CRASS, INSENSITIVE, BLUNDERING, INANE, TACTLESS, and STUPID mean....

:o

You picked all the soft descriptive words :D

I agree with this:

"If it’s a museum that’s educating people, then that’s really appropriate. But if it’s a theme-park kind of attraction, then that’s just pretty out there.”

A museum - could explain how the plates moved, how it created a tsunami, damage done, what we've learnt.

Universal Studios?? <deleted>!

it amazes me that she always seems to be doing or saying the wrong thing.

I've met her a few times. I always get on ok with her. She likes chatting about her new jewellery or some new house she's bought.

Wonder if they'll have one of those vertiginous 'Splash Mountain' rollercosters at the new Tsunami theme park. They scare the nuts off me.

And it goes back a long ways.....

but then she learned from an excellent teacher and predecessor:

Published on May 31, 2002

The board of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is expected to meet this morning to rule on an investigation into the conduct of its governor Pradech Phayakvichien in an alleged conflict of interest case.

Pradech had been suspended from duty following the disclosure that he held an equity stake in a company that won a bid on a TAT project.

Juthamas Siriwan, one of his deputies, was made acting governor.

Despite his suspension, Pradech has turned up to work every day, but because of the investigation, has not been allowed to carry out his duties.

He has maintained his innocence, saying that he had abided by civil service rules on holding shares in a contracted company by informing the TAT of his equity holding.

He also argued that if anyone was at fault, it was the TAT committee that awarded the company in which he has a shareholding the contract, since it knew of his involvement.

Juthamas said earlier that she did not want to become the TAT governor.

**poster comment: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... yeah right, she was wringing her hands ever since her boss got busted.**

Somsak has just faced a grilling in a parliamentary no-confidence debate on allegations of corruption in the allocation of a Bt6.2-billion tourism-promotion fund.

Somsak is under pressure to either reinstate Pradech, depending on the outcome of the investigation, or appoint Juthamas as governor as soon as possible.

The TAT has come under scrutiny since the government allocated Bt6.2 billion in additional funds to the agency as part of an economic stimulus package.

and now..... time for some extreme back-tracking and double-talk:

Thailand denies "tsunami theme park" plans

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand plans to build a museum to educate people about the tsunami disaster, the tourism authority says, dismissing reports that the country was eyeing a "tsunami theme park".

Thailand, struggling to lure tourists back to its Andaman Sea beaches where hundreds were killed by the December 26 tsunami, flew more than 1,000 travel agents and journalists to the resort island of Phuket last weekend.

But the publicity tour ran into controversy after Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Juthamas Siriwan was quoted as saying the memorial may include a simulated tidal wave on Khao Lak, the worst-hit beach where most of Thailand's 5,300 deaths occured.

"I talked to the architect and they say they are going to make something like that so maybe this will be the next Universal Studios of the tsunamis in Khao Lak," the Australian Associated Press quoted Juthamas as telling reporters in Phuket.

Some families of Australian victims of the tsunami complained that her remarks were in very bad taste.

But TAT spokesman Tanes Petsuwan said on Tuesday the comment had been taken out of context and there were no plans to build a tsunami theme park near Khao Lak.

"The governor stated that the Thai government would establish a museum that would have exhibitions as well as use interactive technology to educate people about tsunamis," Tanes said in a statement.

...."The governor stated that the Thai government would establish a museum ... to educate people about tsunamis," Tanes said in a statement.

Yeah, good idea, because it's not as if we've seen a zillion times on TV news exactly how tsunamis are produced. I'm sure there must be some WW2 Japanese pilot, lost in a jungle, who needs educating.

Quote - Sphere....

Thats a pity!

I was really looking forward to enjoying the "overloaded-boat-capsizer" ride and the "bus-falling-down-a-ravine" roller coaster.

Yeahand what about the outlets selling tsunami burgers, tsunami ribs and tsunami cocktails......

Taste was the victim.............................

Thailand denies "tsunami theme park" plans

Thats a pity! :D

I was really looking forward to enjoying the "overloaded-boat-capsizer" ride and the "bus-falling-down-a-ravine" roller coaster. :D

Then we can buy a Tsunami 2004 t-shirt and have a beer at the Tsunami Beer Bar.

...as we watch acrobatics performed by drivers fleeing the scene. :o