Energy Saving Lights

dre1247

As I understand there is a huge safety issue of disposing these Energy Saving Lights. There is Mercury inside and released will do harm to your health. There is nothing about this written on the box or in a flyer inserted. Anyone know how and where to dispose. I live in Banglamung, Chonburi.

Are you referring to this type?

post-63954-1250517215_thumb.jpg

I don't think there is Mercury in them, they are fluorescent!

Large overhead factory/warehouse lights contain Mercury. Usually they called Metal Halide lamps.

Are you referring to this type?

post-63954-1250517215_thumb.jpg

I don't think there is Mercury in them, they are fluorescent!

Large overhead factory/warehouse lights contain Mercury. Usually they called Metal Halide lamps.

BSJ, yes this type, unfortunately there is Mercury in them. How to properly dispose of them is very important. Anybody??

There is not much mercury in them, in Australia they warn that if one breaks hold your breath and get out of the room until the mercury has had time to disperse. As for disposal they say the amount of mercury is not significant so go figure!

I don't know how waste is handled in Thailand, but you may want to talk to one of the local waste management companies. These fluorescent lights do contain mercury and they are recyclable. There are newer "green" fluorescent lights that have less mercury in them or contain a chemical that will bind to the metal upon breakage.