600 Thai Cops Fail Traffic Law Test

britmaveric

600 Thai Cops Fail Traffic Law Test - AFP

BANGKOK, Thailand - More than 600 policemen in the Thai capital have temporarily lost the right to issue tickets to motorists after failing a test on traffic law, a senior police officer said Monday.

The police department last month tested 4,475 officers on their knowledge of traffic law, and almost one in seven failed to show adequate knowledge, said Maj. Gen. Montree Jamroon, a deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

"A total of 665, accounting for about 14 percent of the traffic policemen in Bangkok, failed the test on traffic law and they will not be allowed to issue tickets until they pass," he said.

Those who failed the test would have to take it again within six months, said Montree.

Bangkok drivers have long complained about the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of traffic laws.

BANGKOK, Thailand - More than 600 policemen in the Thai capital have temporarily lost the right to issue tickets to motorists after failing a test on traffic law, a senior police officer said Monday.

I didn't think they issued tickets anyway. Weren't they just collecting tea money and asking people not to do it again.

I wonder how hard the test was.

In the UK a number of policemen told me that I needed to wear a crash helmet on a 3 wheeler. No idea of the law (helmets depend the seat and seatbelt regulations). It wasn't even classed as a 3 wheel bike, but a 3 wheel car as it had a reverse gear.

New Zealand cops had no idea about international driving liscenses either. I was always being told I needed one when I did not. Of course, if I pointed out the law to them I was being a smartass whinging pommy.

"A total of 665, accounting for about 14 percent of the traffic policemen in Bangkok, failed the test on traffic law and they will not be allowed to issue tickets until they pass," he said.

Those who failed the test would have to take it again within six months, said Montree.

Heaven forbid they should be let go for failing the test on a subject area that is THEIR JOB.

:o:D

In the UK a number of policemen told me that I needed to wear a crash helmet on a 3 wheeler. No idea of the law (helmets depend the seat and seatbelt regulations).

I know what you mean. Even MC cops used to pull me over and ask me if I should be wearing a helmet or not.

I just showed them an official letter from the MoT.

Cops pulling you over and asking YOU what the regulations are? Pretty interesting...I know many cops in the States don't know all the regulations but the ones you're describing should be second nature for these guys. Perhaps they need to go back to the police academy! :o

Cops pulling you over and asking YOU what the regulations are? Pretty interesting...I know many cops in the States don't know all the regulations but the ones you're describing should be second nature for these guys. Perhaps they need to go back to the police academy! :o

This was back in the late 70's - early 80's and 3-wheelers were a real rarity. Plenty of Robin Reliant's though which were 3-wheeled cars.

Usually I only got stopped when my helmet was off. Cops must've thought I was flouting the law but most always seemed more interested in the bike than the actual laws. :D

This was back in the late 70's - early 80's and 3-wheelers were a real rarity. Plenty of Robin Reliant's though which were 3-wheeled cars.

Usually I only got stopped when my helmet was off. Cops must've thought I was flouting the law but most always seemed more interested in the bike than the actual laws. :D

yep - UK has a tradition of 3 wheelers because laws are lax on building/customising them. You get bikes with side cars, 3 wheel bikes, and 3 wheel cars. Classification depends on it having reverse gear, seat belts, windows etc.. Like Gazza I found that the cops were usually more interested in the machine than in giving out a ticket.

Can't say the same for Zew Zealand traffic cops though.

Funny thing is though, that when I was illegal none of them picked up on it - I ran a mini city 1000 (apparently) that actually had a 1380 race engine in it. Did well over 100 mph, and had a huge exhaust coming out the back, but no cop ever mentioned it.

Funny thing is though, that when I was illegal none of them picked up on it - I ran a mini city 1000 (apparently) that actually had a 1380 race engine in it. Did well over 100 mph, and had a huge exhaust coming out the back, but no cop ever mentioned it.

Jealous :o

My Cooper S could do 105mph top on a flat surface. (About 90mph uphill!)

The police department last month tested 4,475 officers on their knowledge of traffic law, and almost one in seven failed to show adequate knowledge, said Maj. Gen. Montree Jamroon, a deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Bangkok drivers have long complained about the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of traffic laws.

Let me guess how they got on with questions like this:

a. How many days are there in 1 year?

b. If you collect 200 Baht per day in bribes, how much will you make in 1 year?

Trouble here is that will all be stumped on part a.

The cops failed their test on traffic law....now I understand why I see Thai cops, parking in restricted areas, speeding, driving carelessly, going the wrong way up one way streets and not wearing helmets etc..........it`s because they don`t know any better....... they haven`t passed a test...... :o