Kanchanaburi

TRIPxCORE

Anyone who has traveled to Kanchanaburi, can you kindly provide info about it. Anything you can give that would be worthwhile for someone that has never gone there before. Hotels, sights, restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone who has traveled to Kanchanaburi, can you kindly provide info about it.  Anything you can give that would be worthwhile for someone that has never gone there before.  Hotels, sights, restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Bridge on the River Kwai is a must, as is the war cemetary.

Best for me is the Erawan Waterfall - great place - better after some rain of course.

On the downside - I have heard some fairly scary stories from Thais about driving around the countryside roads way out of Kanchanaburi city - in one instance a man was lying in the road, they slowed the car down to help & a gang jumped into the road & tried to get into the car - they were then chased for about 30Km after that - very scary. Not sure what that's all about. Just stay on the beaten track & you'll be fine.

Anyone who has traveled to Kanchanaburi, can you kindly provide info about it.  Anything you can give that would be worthwhile for someone that has never gone there before.  Hotels, sights, restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Another and arguably Thailand's most spectacular waterfall is Huay Mekamin near the Myanmar border. You can access it either by car ferry across the lake (can't remember the name) or via a dry weather dirt road. If you have a 4WD, no problems. Truly spectacular, but best in the wet season.

Other sights... hot springs, caves, golf courses... 3 pagodas pass...

Accomodation can be found anywhere... ranging from staying on a raft (c/w hot/cold running water and TV) on the river, to hotels in Kanch itself, to guesthouses and resorts out of town.

Best information (in Thai as well as English) is in a booklet produced by the TAT... full of info and maps of the province and places of interest.

In addition, Hellfire Pass, to the north of town on highway 323 (one hour), is a must see. The Tiger Temple is on the same road but it's a rip-off nowadays so I hear. Erawan Waterfalls are pretty good - climb above the 7th tier, although it's not allowed, for great views and a lovely pool.

Don't bother going into town, nothing to see, and I've always found the locals there less than friendly...on a par with Sukhothai. Felix River Kwai Kanchanaburi on the other side of the river to the town is a decent place if you want to spend a bit...nice rooms and two pools. All the cheapy backpacker-type abodes lie on the east side of the river roughly adjacent to the war cemetary towards the river and up to the bridge. The ones closest to the bridge are nicer and quieter. The restaurant not far from the war cemetary on a corner on the road going towards the bridge is good. I think it's Apple guesthouse, but don't quote me on that, haven't been for a year.

Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi

Located at Tambon Lat Ya, 18 kilometres away from the provincial capital, this ancient border town involved in battles between the Thai and the Burmese during the Ayutthaya period to the early Bangkok period. Several ruins are found in Wat Pa Lelai, Wat Khun Phaen, Wat Mae Mai and Wat Nang Phim.

Ban Kao National Museum

Some 35 kilometres from Kanchanaburi and overlooking the Kwae Noi river, the petite Ban Kao National Museum was constructed beside a Neolithic burial site discovered by an Allied POW during the construction of the ‘Death Railway’. Some 4,000 years ago, Neolithic man lived, roamed and hunted beside the Kwae rivers, sheltering beneath rock overhangs or in nearby caves. The Ban Kao museum houses skeletal remains, pots, axe heads, jewellery made from animal bones, and other artefacts dating from that period.

It is open Wednesday-Friday except public holidays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission is 30 baht.

Kanchanaburi Cultural Centre

The collection centre of human life styles from the past till the present is displayed at the Rajabhat Institute of Kanchanaburi, 14 kilometres out of town on the route to Sai Yok. It is open daily from 8.30 a.m.-4.30 p.m.

Kanchanaburi Town Gate

This is the remain of Kanchanaburi town built in 1831 during the reign of King Rama III. It is located on Lak Mueang Road near the meeting point of the Kwae Yai and Kwae Noi Rivers.Chong Kai War Cemetery A second cemetery, on the former site of riverbank Chong Kai POW Camp, contains some 1,740 remains in an equally immaculate and exceptionally tranquil and verdant setting.

Kanchanaburi War Cemetery (Don Rak)

The immaculately maintained Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, opposite the main railway station on Saeng Chuto Road, contains the remains of 6,982 Allied POWs who perished during the construction of the ‘Death Railway’. An estimated 12,339 Allied POWs, and between 70,000 and 90,000 forced Asian labourers, including many Thais, died during the construction of the ‘Death Railway’ and the bridge over the River Kwae. It is believed that one out of every five people who laboured on the railway perished during its construction.

Somdet Phra Srinagarindra Park

Situated in Kanchanaburi’s Agricultural College at Tambon Nong Ya, 9 kilometres from town, it is also known as “the Stone Garden” which abounds with stones of different sizes and shapes.

The Bridge Over the River Kwae

The major landmark is the black iron bridge spanning the Khwe Yai river which was brought from Java by the Japanese army and reasssembled under Japanese supervision by Allied prisoner-of-war (POW) labour as part of the ‘Death Railway’ intended to link Thailand with Myanmar. Still in use today, bridge was the target of frequent Allied bombing raids during 1945, and was rebuilt after the war ended. The curved spans of the bridge are the original sections.

World War II-vintage steam locomotives, and a peculiar hybrid road/railcar from the 2 same era, comprise a small open-air Railway Museum on the bridge’s eastern approach.

The JEATH War Museum

The JEATH War Museum comprises another reminder of the wartime past. The enclave, in the riverside precincts of Wat Chaichumphon, has been constructed in the form of an Allied POW camp. The name JEATH is derived from countries inextricably associated with the years 1942 through 1945, namely Japan, England, America, Australia, Thailand and Holland. The thatched detention hut with cramped, elevated bamboo bunks, contains photographic, pictorial and physical memorabilia dating from the Second World War. POWs who survived the ordeal have donated items from that period to substantiate the museum’s authenticity.The museum is open daily from 8.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission fee is 30 baht.

The Nine-Army Battle Historical Park

Located at Tambon Chong Sadao, some 40 kilometres from town on Highway No. 3199, the Nine-Army Battle Historical Park was initiated by the Royal Thai Army to commemorate the great battle under the command of King Rama I, in defense of the kingdom against the aggression of King Bodawpaya of Burma in 1795. The Historical Study Building houses historical data involving this great battle, a sand table displaying battlefields and dioramas showing the battle strategy. It is open daily from 8.30 a.m.-4.30 p.m.

War Museum

The museum, located near the River Kwae Bridge, displays the collection of weapons, tools and utensils of the Allied POW and Japanese soldiers during the Second World War. It is open daily from 8 a.m.-6p.m. Admission fee is 30 baht.

Wat Tham Mangkon Thong

Situated 5 kilometres from town, the temple is well known for the incredible performance of the nun floating in a deep pool. There is a small museum where a variety of ancient objects found in the area are on display.

Wat Tham Phu Wa

The monastery in natural surroundings, famous for meditation, is 15 kilometres away from the provincial capital. There is a beautiful cave with plenty of stalactites.

More info here.

One of my favourite places in 'Kan' is riding to Pilok on the Burmese border.

When you reach Thong Pha Phum there'll be a turning for Sangkhlaburi and 3PP.

Carry on through Thong Pha Phum and travel past Khao Laem Dam. Staying on that road will take you through some nice scenery. Limestone karsts on one side and Khao Laem reservoir on the right.

Continue passed the resrvoir and the main road and you'll eventually come to a t-junction. There'll be signposts so turn left for Pilok.

You'll then start ascending a mountain on a narrow paved road with spectacular jungle views, especially when you reach top. From there you'll get a nice view of Khao Laem lake depending on weather conditions.

Carry on for about another 15 kms and you'll arrive at Pilok. Carry on through for a few more kms and you'll arrive at a rustic little village named Ban I-Thong. Stay on the road until you reach a checkpoint. You'll be asked for ID that you leave with the guard and then continue on for about 500m.

Park your car at the base of a small hill on top of which the Thai and Burmese flags fly side by side. You are actually in no-mans land. From top of the hill you can see over the village on one side and the Burmese forests on the other. It's said that on a good day you can see the Andaman Sea.

This area is where the Burmese oil enters Thailand and then gets pumped down to Ratchaburi. There was a lot of protesting about it some years ago because the Thai government kept quiet about it. You can also see the pumping stations on both sides of the border.

In a neighbouring village lives an old French woman who's husband died in the wolfram mines and is supposed to be very knowledgable about the area.

The only place I've seen for staying at in this area is Thong Pha Phum NP where they have tree houses.

Another favourite area of mine is Sisawat. Continue on the main road passed the turning for Erawan WFalls and travel alongside Si Nakharin reservoir. Some nice scenery at any time of the year. From Sisawat you can continue along the main road until it becomes a dirt road and starts climbing up a mountain. From the top of here you get a lovely view overlooking the reservoir. One of my favourite views. Continue on down and travel through some Karenni villages and arrive in the Nong Prue area.

The narrow dirt road lasts for 31kms and could be done in a saloon car but you need to be a little adventurous to tackle it.

:D:D:D

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall

large.jpg

Bridge over the River Kwae

large.jpg

View from Felix Hotel on the River Kwae Yai

large.jpg

Longest Wooden Bridge

large.jpg

Many more places to see. Best time after it rains a little bit. Now hazy and very dry.

Welcome to Kan.

And for Gazza:-

On the road to Pilok Village

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

And then you may wish to stay here over night

large.jpg

Happy Day in Thailand and in Kan. :D

Yours as always :D

Kan Win :o

Unseen in Thailand

Head on up to Sangklaburi.. and visit the interesting temples.. There is some tourism up that way. it is a long trip up the winding road. but the lakes are interesting..

That will take you in the general area of the three pogada.. they are not impressive but you are on the border..

On the drive up .. you'll pass all the resorts along the way.. Enjoy.. Cheers :o

• 1 month later...

Kan's one of my fave weekend getaways from BKK .... The people are super nice ... the area is lovely. The hotsprings nearer to the Myanmar border are worth a visit (Past Hellfire Pass). Last time out we hired a songtheaw at the guesthouse (owned by a Burmese guy) and went all over ... (and he was cheap ..... 1000 baht for the day ... incuding gas ...) made for a super trip

hi there, just wondering if you folks have any info on the party boats that cruise and disturb the banks of the river Kwae? I was thinking of getting a group together and hiring a boat for an evening of shenanigans... any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

(is it really dangerous? My boyf seems to think that people regularly die from being too drunk and falling in....)

hi there, just wondering if you folks have any info on the party boats that cruise and disturb the banks of the river Kwae? I was thinking of getting a group together and hiring a boat for an evening of shenanigans :o ... any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

(is it really dangerous? My boyf seems to think that people regularly die from being too drunk :D and falling in....)

YES  :D

:D:D:D

large.jpg

Take care then and enjoy. :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D