Restaurants In Onnut

new2bangkok

Suk 52, next to Tesco, down on the left about 1km (just after the nice newish appartmets on the right) - nice Issan restaurant, typical semi outdoor style (tricky to find in many areas of Bkk).

I've taken a few friends there, Thai and foreign, and everyone enjoyed it. Not expensive, not spectacular, but good food, relaxing, pleasant staff - never had a bad meal there...

some restaurants in hotels

What hotels are there in the On Nut area? Only one I can think of is "The Bedrooms" and I don't think that even has a restaurant, does it?

Anyway, the large open air market by the BTS, directly opposite Tesco has some decent food if you just want more of a snack or a beer accompaniment. Not much in the immediate BTS area for a large, sit down meal, although the place Jasreeve mentioned sounds like it's worth a try.

Imm Fusion hotel has a restaurant Not bad but relatively dear and not exactly a nightspot. The local street food isn't bad. There's one of those outdoor bbq places as well if you have a Thai girl to cook for you.

some restaurants in hotels

What hotels are there in the On Nut area? Only one I can think of is "The Bedrooms" and I don't think that even has a restaurant, does it?

Anyway, the large open air market by the BTS, directly opposite Tesco has some decent food if you just want more of a snack or a beer accompaniment. Not much in the immediate BTS area for a large, sit down meal, although the place Jasreeve mentioned sounds like it's worth a try.

I'm staying at The Bedrooms at the moment, very nice hotel but breakfast only, but they do have a nice little bar/cafe with wi-fi etc which is a pleasant little place to hang out with a beer. Might try the Suk 52 place this week.

I'm living in the onnut area now for a while but i have difficulty finding some good restaurants around here. I know some buffets on sukhumvit road, the MK's at tesco and carrefour, some restaurants in hotels and that's pretty much it. Am i missing something?

Anybody been to that British Pub/Restaurant behind Lotus Onnut?

Called The British Pub I think.

Soi 71 is a short but not very convenient walk away. There's a load of street food and some of them have seating plus another outdoor bbq place. If you go 10 minutes up on the right, there's a place where you have KFC etc.

As I see it, the area is all working class Thai with little for tourists. However if you go a bit further to Ekkamai, suddenly things improve.

I live in this area, and never lack for good food . . . actually some of the best places are the little streetside stalls, some great little ก๋วยเตี๋ยว, ช้าวต้ม, and ข้าวแกง places on Sukhumvit near the corner of Soi 50, across from Lotus. Also, every evening the tables go out along the sidewalk on Soi 50 just above Sukhumvit, the food there is top-notch, they must have some good cooks, and although the atmosphere of eating streetside isn't exactly like the riverside, it's an "only in Asia" experience. I've been to the British Pub a bit up Soi 50, maybe about 300 yards past Lotus and in a little soi to the left. That's OK, but tiny, and not run by Brits, but by a retired Thai couple. I had fish and chips and it was fine. A little lonely, though, I was the only one in the place. Might be fun to go there with some other folks though.

Not far from you there are:

Novotel Bangna Hotel - good Coffee Shop plus a couple of good restaurants

Dusit Princess Srinakarin Hotel - Ditto

Central Bangna - lots of choices

Seacon Square - Ditto

Seri Center - some good places to eat plus a good Food Court

Near the On Nuch BTS Station - on the left going towards the City - a large Thai Steak / Barbecue place (Steak one?) never been there myself but have read good reports on here and elsewhere.

Patrick

The food is good but a little overpriced considering the location.. I think it was about 800 baht for 2 meals + 2 bottles of water.. :)

I never knew there was a place down there. Just learnt something new.

The food is good but a little overpriced considering the location.. I think it was about 800 baht for 2 meals + 2 bottles of water.. :)

It's set back about 50m from the road, if your driving down soi 50 from sukhumvit after dark and keep an eye out on the left you'll see an illuminated british pub sign with the union jack on it just before you go under the highway. Fairly small place but good to drop in for a quick feed..

It's set back about 50m from the road, if your driving down soi 50 from sukhumvit after dark and keep an eye out on the left you'll see an illuminated british pub sign with the union jack on it just before you go under the highway. Fairly small place but good to drop in for a quick feed..

Toady, its ok if you are in the area, but I wouldnt go out my way to get to it.

The only thing it has going for it is its the only place like it it the area, however with the amount of expats in the On Nut area its let down by its location of being somewhat off the beaten track.

[quote name='rgs2001uk' date='2009-08-20 13:23:47' post='2955359'

Toady, its ok if you are in the area, but I wouldnt go out my way to get to it.

The only thing it has going for it is its the only place like it it the area, however with the amount of expats in the On Nut area its let down by its location of being somewhat off the beaten track.

Cheers RGS, I am sometimes in that area, so it's useful to know about new places. Of course I wouldn't be heading down there just to go to the pub. BTW, is it actually called The British pub? As you said about the location, it must be somewhat hidden as I had never even heard of it, let alone seen it.

Toady, to be honest I dont know what its called.

Location, is on Suk 50 on the lh side after Tesco Lotus, before you reach the expressway.

You will see the UJ on the sign, it looks just like a row of houses and would probably be missed if you didnt know it was there, as I say, nothing special, I only use it if the mrs is in the area, but wouldnt go there to drink or eat.

Surprised the place is still there, been there for years, but not many seem to know of it.

Thought you and Jimmy boy knew most watering holes.

Toady, to be honest I dont know what its called.

Location, is on Suk 50 on the lh side after Tesco Lotus, before you reach the expressway.

You will see the UJ on the sign, it looks just like a row of houses and would probably be missed if you didnt know it was there, as I say, nothing special, I only use it if the mrs is in the area, but wouldnt go there to drink or eat.

Surprised the place is still there, been there for years, but not many seem to know of it.

Thought you and Jimmy boy knew most watering holes.

I resemble that comment.

Cheers RGS, I am sometimes in that area, so it's useful to know about new places. Of course I wouldn't be heading down there just to go to the pub. BTW, is it actually called The British pub? As you said about the location, it must be somewhat hidden as I had never even heard of it, let alone seen it.

Not at all sure but I believe it's run by the same chap who owned the Toby Jug.

May be using the same name?

Patrick

Not soi 52, but soi 50 - sorry. (The good isaan restaurant)

It is just before the British pub, on the same side too. I used to live down that soi a few years ago and sometimes pop into the British pub - the little old Chinese owner is an interesting chap and likes to chat. The British pub is nothing more than a converted living room in a mock tudor style house under an expressway... very weird and almost always empty. I got the feeling the owners just like a chat and a bit of company; he told be about the time the whole area was a coconut plantation and the bridge across to Phrakanong was a tiny footbridge - much more recent than you'd imagine. They've been around the world and anywhere I mentioned he'd been there too, and many more places besides - worth a couple of beers if you have time to kill.

(I can't believe I forgot the soi I used to live in... :) )[Had problems getting my deposit back from that blooody 'condo' too...]

Suk 50, next to Tesco, down on the left about 1km (just after the nice newish appartmets on the right) - nice Issan restaurant, typical semi outdoor style (tricky to find in many areas of Bkk).

I've taken a few friends there, Thai and foreign, and everyone enjoyed it. Not expensive, not spectacular, but good food, relaxing, pleasant staff - never had a bad meal there...

Soi 50... tried to edit, must've timed out.

Not at all sure but I believe it's run by the same chap who owned the Toby Jug.

May be using the same name?

Patrick

Think you might be right Patrick, I remember someone saying that the Toby Jug had moved out that way, but never had any idea where. I'm surprised that our resident reviewer JFC hasn't checked it out yet.

Great place just before you get to On Nut soi 39 called Melon Mint. Been there many times and enjoyed to each time.

Yes, I would second that. Good food & Music, comfortable and reasonably priced.

This place has become extremely popular. So much so they have had to expand the car park to 6 times its original size in just 10 months.

Well worth checking out.

Great place just before you get to On Nut soi 39 called Melon Mint. Been there many times and enjoyed to each time.

Yes, I would second that. Good food & Music, comfortable and reasonably priced.

This place has become extremely popular. So much so they have had to expand the car park to 6 times its original size in just 10 months.

Well worth checking out.

What kind of food do they do? :)

• 1 year later...

Re the general question posed by the OP....

There are two semi outdoors Thai buffet barbecue places along the Tesco side of Suk Road, walking distance heading inward to town from the BTS On Nut station...

One is 36 Gold Krata (translated from the Thai only sign), which has a so-so buffet for about 100 baht, mostly involving various already fried foods and big containers of raw cut meats and seafoods that sit around all night, as customers tong out their portions to then cook tableside.

post-53787-015528300 1285061307_thumb.jp

And then a bit further down is a place I like better, Barbecue Beef, which I and others have reviewed separately on ThaiVisa... 199 baht all-you-can-eat per person for your choice of about 20 buffet items, including meats thin-sliced and served cold to your table for cooking. That's the price for the skilled-top cooking, while they also offer the same buffet as a soup-pot style, with all the veggies included, for 249 baht.

post-53787-045211800 1285061563_thumb.jp

Both places are the typical canopy covered, open sides places with some kind of music and usually something playing on a projection screen. The service is amiable and efficient at both places, though my preference is for Best Beef after a few rough stomach episodes from 36 Gold Krata...

Beer is also relatively cheap at both places, served in regular and large bottles, and even pitchers as I recall.

And then, what started me thinking on this topic today, was a nice visit the Thai wife and I had last night to the little outdoors restaurant located in the Baan Saran Nuch apartment complex, located just inside Suk Soi 75/1, which is just a bit inward toward town from the Carrefour store at On Nut (and on the same side of Suk Road).

Back when I was a tourist, there was some novelty to eating local food curbside outdoors. These days, I still like the local food, but much prefer a quieter, cleaner and sometimes air conditioned or at least fanned setting.

The little restaurant at Baan Saran Nuch fit the bill nicely last night: a pretty broad menu with lots of both farang and Thai food choices at very reasonable prices, good beer prices going at 95 baht and 110 baht for large bottles of Leo and Heineken, respectively, and a comfortable and reasonably quiet outdoor setting alongside the complex's pool and fish pond, with lots of electric fans at the ready.

I had a quite nice "Ultimate Burger" hamburger (with a nicely generous-sized patty) for 180 baht including french fries, with the burger including cheese and bacon and various other toppings. The wife had an order of gyoza dumplings and a side order of french fries to accompany our beers.

It's pretty much a mom-and-pop style operation, with a single farang guy politely popping by several times to check if we were OK (we were fine), and a younger Thai woman and older Thai lady waitressing... Seemed like some familial relations there, but I didn't take the time to ask on our first visit... The place says they're open until 11 p.m. weeknights and then midnight Fri and Sat... They also have a half dozen breakfast items that supposedly are served all-day.

The place was nice because it's nestled in the interior courtyard of the apartment complex, so it's well-protected from the outside noise; the prices for food and drink were very reasonable; the nearby pool, pond and fans made the outdoor setting pleasant; and there was just a bit of background music, which made table conversation easy, without being blasted by the typical music noise of some other places. The staff service also was polite and friendly.

post-53787-072628000 1285062774_thumb.jp

post-53787-019738600 1285062796_thumb.gi

The burger photo is pulled from another web site, but it bears a decent resemblance to my serving...

post-53787-055684800 1285062963_thumb.jp