What Is This? King Kong Size

PS3

From my experience, huntsman may be big but they still don't like walking over areas treated with a barrier spray. My yard in Australia was coated in it. The neighbourhood kids probably have chromosome damage, but it was the end of me having to fight spiders for the "man ot the house" title. (My ex wound up owning that title)

This one should worry you found in my kitchen on Koh Phayam

3349927724_24bc030e02.jpg

Larger size

Jeezuz, does Thailand have these things too? :) I think I'm going to have to seal myself in a container. Seems like just a matter of time before I also see one of all these lovely things up close and personal (snakes, lizards, spiders, tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, and Lord knows what else).

Edited by Lopburi99

Of all the insects, the ones to worry about here in Thailand are the small brown scorpions and centipedes. I normally don't kill anything except the centipedes. Since we now have a pretty good population of took gaes, we VERY seldom see centipedes or the brown scorpions.

:):D longstebe and lopburi99 : I told you in the topic start "dont look if u want sleep" ... lol.

Have done a serious cleaning today, first under the built bed, took it down piece by piece. Then above and behind cabinets, not to mention the kitchen area ... Interesting finds all places - I dont say more. But I was tempted to post some more pics though.

And this place is only 2 years old... imaging what you might find in a older place...

Lopburi99; I still laughing of your comments. Want to come over for a drink? :D:D (have something I like to show you). Take longstebe with you :D:D

Lopburi99; I still laughing of your comments. Want to come over for a drink? :D:D (have something I like to show you). Take longstebe with you :):D

The drink part sounds good, but I, errm, think I am pretty errm, busy these days and errm, won't have time to errm see whatever you have to "show" me. Thanks just the same (I think).. :D

The photos of the other things would be interesting to see though. My night sleeps are shot now for a while anyway.

Sweet Dreams (???)

Of all the insects, the ones to worry about here in Thailand are the small brown scorpions and centipedes. I normally don't kill anything except the centipedes. Since we now have a pretty good population of took gaes, we VERY seldom see centipedes or the brown scorpions.

Hey Gary, what's a took gae? (Do I dare ask for a photo?)

Anyway I was cleaning out by hand (not smart!) some dead leaves from the stones around our bamboo near the patio yesterday and saw one of these little brownish green centipede nasties curled up :D . Even my Thai wife freaked out. I thought it was a snake at first but when I prodded it with a spade the little bastard sprang out, running right toward me! :) He has now met his Maker. RIP !

Edited by Lopburi99

For those who have trouble sleeping lest they get bitten, my ex- fiancée told me a story about her sister getting 'bitten' by a spider. It wasn't painful but the hard lump that developed a few days after was always sort of itchy and eventually developed a little head, almost like a boil. Anyway, about a week later, sis was in the bath and the lump erupted with all these teensie weensie spiders coming out.

Sorry, I don't have a picture.

Edited by NanLaew

For those who have trouble sleeping lest they get bitten, my ex- fiancée told me a story about her sister getting 'bitten' by a spider. It wasn't painful but the hard lump that developed a few days after was always sort of itchy and eventually developed a little head, almost like a boil. Anyway, about a week later, sis was in the bath and the lump erupted with all these teensie weensie spiders coming out.

Apparently, this story is as old as the hills & is an urban legend...for obvious reasons.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spid...s/skineggs.html

We had one of these big boys in our bathroom. I seriously considered removing him but when a cockroach ran across the floor and he ran out, grabbed it, killed it and ate it he earned his free ticket to stay.

Don't mind spiders (and in all my years of living in a very open house, I've never had one crawling on me) but can't stand roaches and can't stand rats (mice, rats same thing).

SBK,

Whilst I was in Ko Phangnan a number of years ago there was this huge hairy grey coloured spider that used to vist my bungalow. It looked a bit like a tralantula (sorry about the spelling). Have you any idea what that was? I spoke to a couple of Aussie guys in the next bungalow and they said they had them over back in Aus too.

It was the size of a mans fist, grey, thick bulky little thing. Much more menacing than the OP's picture, but probably harmless.

GFL.

Of all the pests the one to worry about is the mosquito. I've had cerebal maleria from a bite in Surin. Two weeks in hospital and lost 10 kilos. High fever, low chills. Almost lost my mind. What fun that was.

Centipedes, spiders and scorpions I can deal with. Malaria is a killer.

We had one of these big boys in our bathroom. I seriously considered removing him but when a cockroach ran across the floor and he ran out, grabbed it, killed it and ate it he earned his free ticket to stay.

Don't mind spiders (and in all my years of living in a very open house, I've never had one crawling on me) but can't stand roaches and can't stand rats (mice, rats same thing).

SBK,

Whilst I was in Ko Phangnan a number of years ago there was this huge hairy grey coloured spider that used to vist my bungalow. It looked a bit like a tralantula (sorry about the spelling). Have you any idea what that was? I spoke to a couple of Aussie guys in the next bungalow and they said they had them over back in Aus too.

It was the size of a mans fist, grey, thick bulky little thing. Much more menacing than the OP's picture, but probably harmless.

GFL.

Could it be a Wolf spider?

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Wolf-Spiders

SBK,

GFL.

Thats not the one. It was large hairy grey in colour with large fangs.

SBK,

GFL.

Thats not the one. It was large hairy grey in colour with large fangs.

Was it this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

Apparently, this story is as old as the hills & is an urban legend...for obvious reasons.

Not spiders but there are some flys who are a bit like above.

Spent a few years in sunny West Africa..Nigeria,Sierra Leone,Liberia,Ghana,Senegal..et othres and we had some little buggers that would lay their eggs on stuff like wet washing....soggy underware...socks ..etc.and when they came into contact with human skin would burrow under to "incubate"

Because they still rely on air the easiest way to bring them out was smear the inflamation with petrolium/vaseline jelly (standard issue) and usually you can then just pull them out .

Sometimes it was however neccessary to administer a local injection and use a scapel or sharp knife but best remedy was to make sure that the "Amah-Housegirl....or.....live in...... plugged in and knew how to use the Iron that you bought in Woolworths....lots of heat on the skimpies....and .... .fry those eggs... :)

Not spiders but there are some flys who are a bit like above.

Spent a few years in sunny West Africa..Nigeria,Sierra Leone,Liberia,Ghana,Senegal..et othres and we had some little buggers that would lay their eggs on stuff like wet washing....soggy underware...socks ..etc.and when they came into contact with human skin would burrow under to "incubate"

Because they still rely on air the easiest way to bring them out was smear the inflamation with petrolium/vaseline jelly (standard issue) and usually you can then just pull them out .

Sometimes it was however neccessary to administer a local injection and use a scapel or sharp knife but best remedy was to make sure that the "Amah-Housegirl....or.....live in...... plugged in and knew how to use the Iron that you bought in Woolworths....lots of heat on the skimpies....and .... .fry those eggs... :)

Rin... A friend of mine visiting Africa had that happen to him. If I remember right, it was called a Bot Fly. They found the larvae squirming under his skin so they laid a piece of raw prime beef on it. It came out into the beef after several hours. Quite the cure!

T-Dog...

Yes thats the one...

just been running a check and seems that the Bot Fly is more common in South America and the little sods that I use to deal with are called ...TUMBU-Tumbla-or from memory the Tumbler Fly.... :D

Found quite a nice run down on them and good description of avoidance and/or removel....Could happen to anybody.

anyway..

Myiasis by fly larvae.

Fly larvae enter the host through varying mechanisms ranging from oviposition [the laying of eggs by insects] of live, burrowing larvae on the host on or near open wounds to attachment to other bloodsucking insects.

While not generally the result of an insect bite, it can produce pustules and lesions similar to an insect bite. In these cases, however, the lesions generally contain one or more developing fly larvae.

Most varieties of larvae capable of myiasis in humans are parasites of other mammals and do not actively seek out human hosts, though this is not always the case.

Human bot-flies are common in Mexico, Central and South America. New World screw-worms are now only found in Central and South America, while Old World Screw-worms are found in the Oriental and African tropical regions. Wohlfahrtia flies are found in northern regions of North America as well the southern Palaearctic. Tumbu flies are found in the African tropical region.

Other varieties of fly maggots may also occasionally parasitize humans. Severe cases of myiasis can cause seizures.

Myiasis by screw-worm flies has been reported to be fatal. :D

Myiasis is the invasion of living tissue or organs by the immature stage (maggots) of flies. Every year several species of exotic diptera are imported into Australia in the subdermal layers of the skin of overseas travelers. Patients returning from overseas present to their doctor with painful furuncular lesions, often unaware that the cause is a maggot.

Infections with myiatic flies start out as itchy sores that then develop into painful boil-like lesions, which often ooze. Most of these cases of human myiasis are uneventful, but patients should be monitored for additional and subsequent lesions as the development of the maggots is not synchronous or isolated, and their growth phase may be prolonged.

Treatment of this condition can be undertaken by forcing the maggots to the skin's surface by cutting off their air supply. An application of Vaseline or similar material will encourage the maggot to move towards the surface exposing more of the maggot's body that can then be extracted.

A local anesthetic and incision to extract the maggot is another common method of treatment.

This may not be pleasant to read about, but if you've had this happen to you, you are far better off learning all you can about it.

African doctors use a locally-created "poultice" of local ingredients, just as the "Vaseline" is mentioned above.

Here is another description of the Tumbu Fly:

"The tumbu fly is found in many parts of East and Central Africa. It lays eggs on clothing - especially clothes that bear traces of urine or sweat.

Clothes hanging outdoors on the washing line and clothes laid out on the ground to dry are the usual target."

"The eggs hatch on contact with human skin. The larvae burrow into the skin and produce a characteristic boil, which contains not pus, but a developing maggot.

The boils are usually multiple and are most often over the back, arms, scrotum, and around the waist."

"The breathing apparatus of the maggots can usually be identified at the surface of the boil as a pair of black dots.

A maggot can be removed by placing water or oil over its breathing apparatus and gently squeezing it; the maggot will pop out.

This is a rather unpleasant spectacle to witness." :)

Have seen many many huntsmen in Australia. Entirely harmless, but a bit creepy. Cat used to chase them around and I've seen magpies pluck them of a fence and feed them to the young without ill effect. I could tolerate them, but my mother used to carry on, so I had to remove them for some peace and quiet.

Once had one about 5" across on the wall over our toilet.

Always remember that a spider's venom is designed to kill their normal prey, usually small invertebrates, so spiders that can harm a person are relatively unusual. Venomous snakes are generally much more likely to be dangerous because their normal prey is usually vertebrates that are physiologically similar to us.