How To Live In Thailand As A Tourist For A Chinese National?

Hello, I'm french and I'd like to live in thailand, I know what to do in terms of visa runs as a french national, but I don't know what to do for my girlfriend who is chinese. She looked on the internet to no avail.

I know for sure that she should always do a visa before coming to thailand, because she doesn't have a 30 days without visa like me, but I've also read that one should not count on the 14 visa on arrival that is in theory delivered to chinese nationals.

So I'd like to know if thai ambassies in laos, malaysia, and such, can deliver visas to chinese nationals, and if the process can be done long enough to live in thailand permanently as a tourist?

Chinese nationals seem to get a tourist visa for 60 days and you can get these back to back.

But there are always other possibilities, like studying Thai language for example. That would give her more time without having to leave the country.

Look on top of the page and click on the banner of some of our language school sponsors for more information about this.

A Chinese only can't enter Thailand just as a French national without a visa, but for a visa the same rules apply. For the educational visa it doesn't matter which nationality you have.

Cost will be about 29,000 baht per year for the course and requires you to study 4 hours a week on avarage. You will have to go to immigration every 90 days for an extension.

Chinese nationals seem to get a tourist visa for 60 days and you can get these back to back.

But there are always other possibilities, like studying Thai language for example. That would give her more time without having to leave the country.

Look on top of the page and click on the banner of some of our language school sponsors for more information about this.

Not always if one doesn't explicitly ask for 60 days. The Thai embassy or a consulate do make mistakes, even in the case if asked for 60 days (or multiple entry)....

It's best to ask a well known travel agent in China to arrange for a Thai Visa; just make arrangements/bookings for ticket(s) and the agent sends the passport to the Consulate/Embassy; will take a few days though.

I'm not sure about "living as a tourist in Thailand" with extended visa from other countries (for the Chinese lady); I would think that the same rules apply as for a Farang (except arrival visa).

The Thai study suggestion could help a lot though I suppose.

Q: for how long can someone study in Thailand ? Are there restrictions ?....1 year....3 years ?

LaoPo

Q: for how long can someone study in Thailand ? Are there restrictions ?....1 year....3 years ?

LaoPo

Indefinately. Most Thai language studies are for 3 or 5 years, and I also have heard of 10 years. It seems to depend on till what level the school is offering. But after you have completed 1 study you can always study something else. It doesn't have to be Thai.

I've read that most language studies offer student visa for 3 years (one year at a time, we need to renew it every 3 months during the year) studying thai.

And then 2 years for english, if we're not native english speaker.

Also, for my original question, I've been told that thai ambassies will probably not deliver tourist visas to a chinese national if she's not asking it from her country of residence (france) or from china. That's where is the difference with farangs, we can ask for tourist visas from laos and other countries near thailand, it seems chinese can't. (don't know if it's the law or if it's custom officials)

Edited by kola

I've read that most language studies offer student visa for 3 years (one year at a time, we need to renew it every 3 months during the year) studying thai.

And then 2 years for english, if we're not native english speaker.

Also, for my original question,

I've been told that thai ambassies will probably not deliver tourist visas to a chinese national if she's not asking it from her country of residence (france) or from china.

That's where is the difference with farangs, we can ask for tourist visas from laos and other countries near thailand, it seems chinese can't. (don't know if it's the law or if it's custom officials)

Why don´t you double check the hearsay and send the Thai Consulate or Embassy in the other countries (you were talking about) an email and just ask ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Why don´t you double check the hearsay and send the Thai Consulate or Embassy in the other countries (you were talking about) an email and just ask ?

I did it for Laos and here's their answer:

"The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane only gives Tourist Visa to Chinese citizens who are resident in Laos (e.g. working or studying in Laos). You have to apply for visa at our Embassy in Beijing or Consulates-General in Shanghai, Kunming, Chengdu, Xian, Nanning or Xiamen."

So I'm guessing the answer will be the same in all other neighbooring countries. So the only real solution is language schools, because I'm sure visa-runs will not be trouble free if she has to go back to china everytime. China administration is known to be slow if you don't know any insider. It won't be like visa-runs in laos for a few days to get another double entries tourist visas.

Thank you for your time answering my questions.

Cheers,

I know of a Chinese male, working in Thailand legally for 7 years, speaks great Thai and English, went to France for a short vacation (about 4 months ago) went to the Thai embassy in Paris, submitted his docs for a new Non B Visa and was immediately issued with a 12 months multi entry. Its so difficult to second guess the Embassies when they dont sing from the same song sheet !